Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Egg salad was a part of my Russian experience

As I sit here and eat my egg salad sandwich I think of my time in Russia. Since my accident I have had some difficulty chewing. My jaw is ever so slightly out of alignment. I can just tell. I can live with it but sometimes I have a little bit of difficulty chewing.

I have been eating quite a bit of egg salad. I like egg salad so it is not a problem for me. I am a very adventurous eater. I will try just about anything twice. While I was in Russia I stayed with a Host family. The Grandmother for the Host family was very big on cooking. She wanted you to eat and clean your plate. Each meal was a 3 or 4 course meal. Needless to say I did not starve while I was there.

One of the side dishes was Russian Egg Salad (My name not her). With Easter on the horizon I thought what the heck I will post the recipe because I know I never know what to do with those eggs. So here it is to the best of my ability to translate what she told me.

Russian Egg Salad
1 cup boiled eggs roughly chopped
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup of whole corn
Little bit of mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper.

She told me that the corn was from a can and not cooked. I am only use frozen vegetables and I am guessing it I thaw them out this would be fine too. The rice was a left over for the meal before.

The consistency is lighter then my egg salad and had way less mayonnaise. Try it you might like it.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That sounds like a great egg salad. I love egg salad too but my husband doesn't. Maybe Colby will eat it with me.

As for your CIS fingerprints, I think you just need to get your fingersprints done. Not sure. We were lucky enough to be done before the first ones expired.

I am glad to hear you are getting through the paperwork. It is a daunting task. We just went through our stack of papers to get rid of the duplicate (or more) copies and just have one copy of everything. It is still a couple pounds of paper. Ugh! I'm glad it's over.
Melissa

Troy and Rachel said...

I loved catching up and reading the bonnet/bow dilemma! I think I would love the bonnets too! Sounds like you're plugging along with the paperwork! Enjoy your Russian egg salad!

Roger and Joanne said...

Yes, that sounds like a yummy version of egg salad. I'll have to try it. Thanks for posting it.

Sorry, can't help you on the CIS paperwork. I should really start looking into that, too.

Glad your adoption cash fund is doing okay. This economy is tough and it must be nice to know you still have it set aside.

Good to hear you're making head way on stuff...

Rich and Jolynn said...

You are right the money part is overwhelming at times. Our agency talked a lot about the tax credit as a way to pay back any loans you might need. I often wonder how it helped others?

I'll try the host families-Babooshka egg-salad recipe. It sounds yummy.

Kami said...

Hi Joy!

Thanks for posting about the Russian egg salad! It sounds like something that my little one would love! He really likes rice and I keep trying to come up with dishes similar to what he ate in Russia. I have a private blog and would love to invite you to be a reader of it if you like. My e-mail is KECTTU@yahoo.com. Congrats on your referral, enjoy the rest of your journey to your sweet girl! :)

Kami