Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Money Thoughts

I have been so busy these past couple of days. Still working on the paperwork. Today I will drop off the financial information to the accountant. I have to supply a bunch of statements and that was the hard part because my printer broke right in the middle of getting it all together.

Now that I am armed with a brand new printer I was able to print out everything that I needed yesterday. My plan had been to work on organizing it last night but one of my friend' Mother was admitted to the hospital so she could not work. I gladly worked because I know this person would come in at the drop of a hat for me. I am sure that she probably even covered a few of my days when I was off gallivanting in Russia.

Yesterday I receive my updated I-171 form that states my fingerprints are up to date. Yeah for me. I hope and pray that I will have her home before the form expires in July. I think I am cutting it close so I may just reapply for it again. Do I have to have a completely new home study or will an update work for that??

I got my final bill in the mail also from the adoption agency too. I am not shocked by the amount. I had asked what the final payment would be a couple of months ago so I would not be surprised. I am glad that I did.

I know that money is one of the biggest obstacles for many who think that they want to adopt. I can tell you that when I first started this journey it was one of my fears too. When I first looked into adoption 5-6 years ago the cost was much less then it is today.

I remember thinking 'I should have started this sooner.' At times this has been the story of my life. Now I look back at see her picture say 'I would not have had the opportunity to love her.' Things usually work out.

Honestly, I had most of the money for her adoption invested in stock accounts that I had been saving for a number of years. These accounts are wonderful. They are called DRIP accounts. I will explain them to the best of my ability in a future post. If you do a google search you will find them. I am sure that I do not have to tell you all that this plan is a bust.

But please remember that God will always provide. I just keep telling myself that and bam when I looked at my finances yesterday I do still have plenty to complete this adoption. I am so thankful that along the way I would pay for all the little expenses out of my paychecks instead of the lump of cash that I had set aside.

So that is the reason why I have been missing in action the past couple of days. I am here and well.

3 comments:

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

God does ALWAYS provide and it is exciting to see it first hand. It sounds like everything is coming together...we just need a court date now!!! Glad you received the 171 back as well.

I really feel like you are going to be done way before July...do you have others to ask from this region? I hope so.

I like egg salad too!

Dede said...

We did not have to do a new home study, just an update when ours expired.

I agree...everything works out money and timing wise EXACTLY as it should.

Rob said...

What's maybe most surprising to me is the reaction you get when/if you divulge to friends or family what your adoption cost. We were very hesitant to reveal a dollar amount exactly because of how people would react.

The number - and it was a bit beyond $40k for us - simply stuns most people. But step back and put that in context... Essentially, that's the equivalent of a medium range SUV - a somewhat disposable thing which most people will trade off the very instant they've made the final payment.

It wasn't necessarily easy to save up the money for the adoption and it certainly didn't happen overnight, but thinking of it in those terms, doesn't the amount spent on an adoption seem rather, well, trivial?

And of course, even if this option were open to many of us, having a bio baby isn't exactly cheap either...