Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Finding those special trinkets

I hope that when I leave Russia with Little Banana that this will not be the last time that she will be in Russia. I think having visited Denmark I have a different feeling about embracing your heritage. My Father was born in Denmark and left when he was a small child. I know that he always dreamed of going back to Denmark but for him this was not possible.

I have a number of relatives still in Denmark and they made my visit very special. When I was a child we would decorate the Christmas tree with these beautiful paper ornaments. When I was traveling to Denmark I hope and prayed that I would be able to purchase a few of these paper ornaments for my tree as well. I was fortunate to be able to find some.

I wish I had a better understanding of which trinkets from the Russian culture are special. I hate to just buy stuff for the sake of buying things. So last night before I came in for the night I did go into one store and found a small pin. The pin is made of rice paper I believe and hand painted. Painted on the pin are 2 small birds. It is not a large pin but one that I will wear from time to time.



I have seen small painted chairs on other blogs and I hope that I will be able to purchase and bring one home. I have not quite figured that out yet but I will. I have a thing for painted furniture. There are also a number of painted trays that I think I may be able to work into her bedroom décor.

I did see some small traditional dresses in the same shop. I will purchase one of these too. I plan on having her picture done with the head piece as well.
What else should I buy for her??

9 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't know much about Russian culture either but I do know that the nesting dolls are very traditional. I'm sure Little Banana will love playing with them when she is older too. They are just wooden dolls but they are elegantly painted. I can't remember what the actually name is for them though. Just a thought.
Melissa

The Gum Gang said...

Russia is famous for its Amber jewelry. I would buy her a special piece that you can give her when she turns 16, 18, 21, or give to her for her wedding.

Amy Webber said...

I am sure you will find some kind of traditional fabric to purchase. I like the idea that the other person suggested about purchasing some kind of jewelry to give to her when she is older.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised at you Joy, you are the research queen! When you go on line again, look up traditional Russian gifts for births, graduations, etc..I think a cookbook would be fun, culture and food go together. I have some books that will help translate, though I'm sure you are better at that than me. I'm sure whatever you buy her will be treasured by her, not only because of the heritage, but because of the thought and love you put into it.
Can't wait to see more pictures.
I would love to go myself someday, just wish I knew what part of Russia my family was from.

Becky and Keith said...

Joy - One thing we did for Andrew which I'm SO glad we did was get Christmas Ornaments (I need to do a post on that!). I bought 15 ornaments - 1 for each year from now until he is 18 and heads off to college. I found a lot of great wooden carved ornaments. We bought the traditional shirt as well, of course reading your post made me realize it's in my closet! :-)

Carey and Norman said...

Hi Joy,

I'm so sorry I'm just now posting. The weather has been so nice and warm here that I haven't been online checking blogs like normal. You have been in my thoughts and I'm so glad that you arrived safely in Moscow. It sounds like you had a nice time in Arbat looking around and I loved the Gerard cheese/butter spread you found. Too funny!

We too loved the big breakfasts, so I can understand you splurging to eat at the hotel. We would usually do that and then snack on peanut butter crackers for lunch and then eat dinner.

As for gifts, we too bought Christmas ornaments. Not necessarily a certain number, but I bought sets of the Matroshka dolls, Santas, and then a special set with different ones (angel, snowman, etc.). I bought a Russian cloth doll, a Russian dress (wish I had bought the headband...if you don't mind looking up prices...I might send you money to get us one while there), we bought Cheburashka dolls and t-shirts...for now, postcards of famous sites, and a music box of St. Basil's. I wish I would have thought about jewelry (and mom wishes she'd bought a manger scene). It is so hard while you are there to think (as you are trying to save money too), but once home you'll wish you bought anything that catches your eye and you decide not to buy due to price (within reason, of course).

Okay, sorry to talk your ear off! Thinking of you and so excited about your journey....looking forward to the next post concerning the banana!

PattiL said...

Of course the nesting dolls, and they russian outfits, the ones that look like hanzel and grettel. But I also Picked up some amber. Its very cheap in RU, com[ared to US.

kate said...

Find out what matroshka dolls are local to your region (strawberries mean Moscow, blue and white is St. Pete...). I have lovely carved and painted Dyed Moros and Snegoritchka figures. I think Christmas ornaments for each year is a great idea.

Kaliningrad is the biggest amber producer in RU.

You might look for an icon or some folk music.

Suz said...

We also bought D a Cheburoshka doll in region. It was like $5 in Moscow it was around $40!

We got lots of Christmas ornaments, stockings (in the lobby shop of the Ukraina hotel) and a jingly Metroshka toy, once it popped open and the jingle making thing is actually a kopek! We got the Winnie the Pooh one.

We also got her some Amber jewelry and a Russian Cross to give her at her baptism.