Monday, March 9, 2009

A detour on the way to the airport

The plan was for me to drive to AM’s house and that she would take me to the airport. She lives closer then I do and it just made sense because the cost of parking would have been close to 300 dollars and hey what is better then being dropped off at the airport.

On the way to the airport we were so lucky and did not hit any traffic at all. We drove through Brooklyn and stopped to grab a bit to eat. At AM’s suggestion we stopped at Lenny & John’s pizza store. Because this is the neighborhood where Gerard and AM grew up she knew the owner and he still knew her.

We were greeted by Joey yelling Gerard’s last name across the little store. There are so many times when this pizza parlor has come up in conversation so it was very fitting that we ate there before I left for the airport.

When Gerard was in grade school his grandmother (who is one of many people that Little Banana is named after) would go down to the store on Fridays to save the only 2 tables for them at lunch time. There would be a fresh pie waiting for Gerard AM, Billie and Jackie.

While I was eating I was got my last couple of telephone calls from Eddie (AM’s husband) and Aunt Nel both of them laughed when I told them where we were eating. Eddie grew up around the block too.

This will be one of many ordinary stories that I will tell her once she is home. Yes, Gerard I plan on boring her with all sorts of stories and she will love them.

No comments: