Thursday, March 19, 2009

AAI Host Program

Many adoption agencies have a program where older children are hosted by potential adoptive parents. While in Russia I had a the very unique experience of being able to meet a couple of the children who are currently in the Adoption Associates Host of Hopes program.

When I started this adoption process I only ever thought about me and how adoption affected me. I thought about MY feelings and MY journey. I can say one thing that has changed as a result of my trip to Russia is how my eyes have been opened to the the maginatude of how many children need a home and loving parents. Again I say that I have only up to this point viewed adoption from my very personal level.

I have been waiting to post this entry in the hopes that I could help some of these children in some way. Now I see my opportunity. A couple of children in the Host program have touched me and if I had the ability I would run at the chance to adopt them but I am limited to what I know I can do well.

Back to the point of this entry. I had a long conversation with one of the children in the Host program. Ekaterina born on November 21, 1995. She has beautiful long dark hair. Her smile is beautiful. She is tall and slender. We have a connection, she loves to sew. I showed her pictures of the things that I have made for Little Banana. She even showed me a piece that she was working on. She was completely this piece completely by hand.

The one thing that really struck me about Ekaterina is that she was extrememly articulate. She understands quite a bit of English in my opinion and speaks some English. Because I was able to sit and speak with her I was able to get a sence of what type of person she is. I can tell you I believe that she is extremely warm and caring.

I think that one worry that many potential adoptive families have is the transition from an orphanage to family living. I believe that she would easily transition into a family. I say this because even though a picture is worth a thousand words watching and hearing a child talk about the things that are important to them is also extremely valuable.

If you are interested in Hosting with the intention of perhaps giving her a forever family I urge you to contact AAI. If you are interested in hosting this child or if you would like general information about the Hosts of Hope program, please call Larissa Koedyker, Hosts of Hope program coordinator, at 616.667.0921.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

What a wonderful program. I know of a family who participated in this program a few times and now has 4 children from RUssia. First two brothers and then 2 sisters. They all seem to be doing well. If Mike and I were a little older I would consider adopting an older child but I don't think we are ready for that yet. I'm still in baby faze.
Melissa

Rich and Jolynn said...

Oh Joy what a great post. The host programs are so meaningful for these children. I hope this little girl finds a forever family as soon as possible.

Roger and Joanne said...

Thanks for this information. It is indeed a wonderful program.

Carey and Norman said...

Ekaterina sounds like a beautiful girl. She will make a wonderful addition to any family!! We will keep her in our prayers!!

Jane and Jim said...

She is beautiful. It certainly IS a great post!
My prayers are with her.

Dana Doctor said...

She is beautiful. What an interesting program. Something to think about in the future.