Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Going with the flow

Today I talked with a coordinator (no not my coordinator yet another different coordinator) about what the travel plans are for me. I have been told that the agency with set up all the accommodations for me in country. I am trying not to worry about not being in control of these details. I know myself, I do always land on my feet so even if the accommodations are not perfect I will be able to work with them. I am looking at this first trip as a trial run for the second trip. I may not know everything about my accommodations before I travel. Oh boy I am tyring to go with the flow.

The region that I am in is the Republic of Chuvashia. From what I gather this region is slightly south east of Moscow. The major city that I will be traveling to is Cheboksary. Little Banana's orphanage is about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive one way. From what I understand the road to the orphanage is an extremely rural road. Anyone who has been in a remote region of Russia knows that when they say the road is rural they really mean it. The orphanage is in the town of Olatyr. I think that it will be interesting to see this town in both the winter and spring early summer months.

Who will I get to Cheboksary?? Well there are a couple of different ways. One way is to hire a private car to drive me there, one way is to take the overnight train and then there is a 2 hour flight. I am hoping and praying for the flight. To me that makes the most sense so because that is what I think I am sure that I will have to take the train which is my last choice. It is not that I am afraid to take the train alone but well I do have some concern about taking the train alone.

I have always been fearful of missing my stop on public transportation. Crazy I know but something has to scare me right? I think this is the result of living in an area of the country where we do not use much public transportation.

I love all the toy suggestions. I am going to make a list of all of them and Gerard and I are going to go shopping. For some reason he thinks he is the expert of toy shopping. I think he is a little worried and a little sad that he is not going but that will be another post.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Joy, One thing I will tell you, the roads in Russia are LOADS of fun. (NOT!) We had a 2 hour one way drive to Colby's orphanage and it always made me nervous. I even got a little car sick, which I never do. And there are always police men out. Don't worry if your driver gets stopped, it is a very common occurance. We were stopped twice and the first time it scared me to death. It was our first trip to see Colby. Anyway, I'll keep checking to see how your travels go. Good luck!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

DEAR JOY,
THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING US TO POST ANONYMOUS. I HAVE POSTED BEFORE AND TOLD YOU, YOU WOULD MAKE A GREAT MOTHER BECAUSE OF YOUR SWEET SPIRIT. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! I REALLY LIKE ADRIENNES IDEAS AND ALSO GIVING HER A BLANKET THAT YOU'VE SLEEPED WITH. CANT WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR TRIP. AGAIN IM SO EXCITED WISH YOU LUCK SENDING YOU LOTS OF LOVE AND HUGS
JANET ♥

Anonymous said...

Joy,

I adopted with AAI too. My son is from a different region, but we had no issues. Everything that we were told by our consultant that would happen while in Russia went off without a hitch. Our rep magically appeared everytime we needed him. You have to remember that AAI does this everyday and it is almost like they have it down to a science. For you and I it is a a big deal and scary since we are so far from home and can't speak the language.

Enjoy your time with your little girl and try not to worry so much.

Nicole Brueck said...

Hugs!! We traveled 5 hours one way on the rural roads of Russia. Bring Dramimine for sure. About the policeman, don't worry, just don't say a thing. Our travel partners did and they got scolded by the driver and translator.

I second whomever told you to bring 2 of everything. We did and Ryan still plays with the musical toys we had left there and had a set at home.

Rich and Jolynn said...

Not sure about the train ride? Three hours in the car or two hours on a plane ride. I agree with you the plane would be my first pick. I just think you will be so focused on meeting Lil Banana that you will be distracted. I would love to know how getting your visa goes? Praying that it is a glitch-free trip that you enjoy!!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Ours was an hour drive from Krasnoyarsk to Sosnovoborsk (Siberia). . .stop lights were optional and lane changes with oncoming traffic, absurdly close at that, was very common. Driving in Russia is not for the faint of heart--even for the passenger!! Scary at best. . .but you'll do fine. By the way, it wasn't any better in Moscow! And, a place to eat, in Moscow, Il Patio. Very yummy. Located about 4 blocks from Red Square on Tverskaya. And, also, our coordinators took care of our hotels for us. . .we did have a say in where, though, in Moscow. the Marriott. Very Nice, especially after the sparse conditions in Krasnoyarsk!

Carrie said...

Joy - I tried to comment on toys to take but something happened when I tried to post it. Ugh! Anyway congrats on travel dates - this is so exciting. I would definitely take stacking cups, books, doll or stuffed animal, a photo book with pictures of you guys in it, and my kids loved this soft puppy playhouse that we purchased at Babies R Us. Moving on - it is hard to be out of control during this process but I am sure your agency knows what they are doing. Also my thoughts on the rural roads - first their highways are a little more rural than our highways if that gives you any indication of what a actual rural road is like - second go to the bathroom before you leave. Bathrooms are few and far between plus the ones you find are well lets say that they don't always include a toliet. My husband wants me to include that the roads are not so bad if you keep your eyes closed:) Have a great trip. It will be wonderful, eventful, emotional, fabulous, tiring, and I could go on and on. I'm a little jealous. I can't wait to hear more about your trip and your little banana.