Thursday, March 12, 2009

A day I will never forget

Where should I start!! I guess I will just give you the boring blow by blow events of the day. First the big question Did I sleep? Yes and no! I slept for most of the night then was up a little bit then slept again.

Oh that is not the big question?? Okay fine I will give you the dirt the good stuff, the reason why I am here. Did I meet Little Banana??? Yes!!!! After the 3.5 hour drive to the orphanage we pulled up to a building that was made of concrete. I believe that the building was 2 stories with a basement. I will insert pictures when I get a chance of the orphanage. For pictures of Little Banana will have to wait a couple of months.

I walked into the building and was directed to the upstairs room. The room is a big open room with colorful flooring a bunch of little tiny chairs lined up along the wall. There were also a couple plants, a potted tree and a piano. Anna the coordinator can play the piano very well. I was directed to use the bathroom and as you all know when I am directed to do something I do it. Okay I really did have to go anyway. When I came out of the bathroom I got my first glimpse of Little Banana. The director of the orphanage is a MD and she was holding her.

We all walked up 2 flights of stairs back to the large open room. They put Little Banana on the floor to stand. Rather then standing she ran to me and grabbed my legs. I picked her up without a tear in her eyes. She looked me square in the eye and never took her eyes off of me for a couple of minutes. I sat in a chair with her on my lap at first then I stood her in front of me. The instant I put her down she climbed back into my arms and buried her head into my chest.

There may be a number of you reading this blog who may not understand that this is a very positive sign. She kept coming to me and seeking me out. This means that she is looking to attach to someone and she preferred me today. This may not always be the way especially if there are a number of months between trip 1 and trip 2.

After a couple of minutes she started to smile some. Her hair is cut very short about 1.5 inches long at the longest point. She walks well and has very good balance. I did not see any signs of rocking or banging her head which can be common in children who live in an orphanage. I stood her on my legs at one point and she started to jump some just like any other child.

I way over brought toys and snacks. She played with the cups that Auntie AM bought and carried them around. She liked the Mr.Potato head. I pulled out the pink book that I have with her pictures in it. She was very interested in looking at the pictures. I am not sure if she realized it was herself or not.

I got the chance to see her being fed and where she plays. In this orphanage not many people get to see all of these areas I have been told. I am very grateful that I was able to see and take some pictures.

I then got the chance to speak to the doctor about her medical condition and the social worker about why she is in the orphanage. There are many details that I will only be sharing with Gerard. I ask that at this time you all please repect our decision to not tell others about her past. I feel that this is something best kept to ourselves until she is ready to tell you herself. We will not keep her history from her but there are certain details that we will wait to tell her until she is old enough to understand.

Because the orphanage is such a distance from where I am staying and the road is very difficult to travel I will not be seeing Little Banana again. Of course this makes me very sad but please understand that I was prepared for this and I fully understand. Please do not be upset for me because if I am able to adopt Little Banana I will be able to spend as much time as possible with her.

Tomorrow I will go to the Ministry of Education to sign the paperwork to start the formal adoption process. I will post more about what that process is in another post in a day or so. I will leave for Moscow tomorrow night by plane.

Just so you all know when I left the orphanage the snow started to fall.

43 comments:

Amy said...

You and the snow....always a great sign. I got chills reading your post. You couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. Congratulations and, safe travels back to Moscow.

What is the wait time between trips?

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I am soooo happy for you. I have been blog-stalking all day.

It sounds like a great first meeting. I am so pleased to hear how she took to you. She knew you were her Momma.

Congratulations Joy!!!

Carolynn and Steve said...

Oh, Joy---
I've been keeping you in my prayers today--I hoped that you would have a great first meeting, and it sounds like you did. Congratulations, and safe travels back to Moscow!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Totally understand about this history of your banana. We made the same decision about Aidan's history. . .not even all of our family knows it all. . .but how wonderful for you that you got to spend time with her and that she bonded so readily! Aidan was the same way. . .it was hard to leave, but the full joy is now sooner to come for you!

Roger and Joanne said...

Oh....
I'm just moved in the way she responded to you. She was just waiting for you. Sorry it was only one visit, but yes, that visit will hold you through til you return.

Congratulations!

votemom said...

so happy for you. i've been lurking and following your journey.

any idea how long you'll have to wait for a court date?

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! I have been checking the blog all day like a crazy woman (while at work)! We are so happy for you!

Melissa said...

Yeah! I am so excited for you. I can easily remember how I felt on that first meeting. How great that she went to you. What an amazing feeling! I hope you took lots of pictures. I can't wait to see them!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

So happy for you! Don't know if you got the text I sent you this a.m. but we were thinking about you at work and just wanted to wish you luck, while you were on your way to the meeting (7 hours later there, right?). Hope everything goes smoothly with all the remaining paperwork and court.
Have a safe trip home. Can't wait to hear more.

Melody said...

I am so so happy you get to meet her! You may have said in the past but I forgot- how old is she?

Nicole Brueck said...

Ahh the snow. What a wonderful day for you. One you have been waiting for a long time for. So happy for you!!!!!!
We have made the same decision about Ryan's history as well. One day we will tell him and he can share as he wishes.
Sounds like she is looking to attach to you as I am assuming you have a attached to her already!
Can't wait to hear more. :)

Amy said...

Snow again!!!

Congrats on a wonderful day and meeting your daughter. It's a great feeling isn't it??

Anonymous said...

What a great day! Congratulations on finally meeting Banana - she seemed to take to you so well.
Safe travels!

Stephanie and Dennis said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your 1st meeting. I am saying prayers for you!!!!!!

Dana Doctor said...

Brought tears to my eyes. She was meant to be yours! Congrats mommy!

Anonymous said...

i am so happy that you had such a wonderful experience! i will be looking forward to seeing pictures of her in the future! safe travels home.

Dede said...

Well I was 14 posts behind on your blog but it looks like I picked the perfect day to read yours! Congrats!!! I'm so happy to read that you have FINALLY met your daughter and that the meeting went so well. It sounds like she already knows you are her Momma. I hate that we have to wait so long to actually see her photo but I know it's the rules! Enjoy the rest of your trip and try some "sorok" spelled "copok" at the grocery store (with the yogurt)...it's delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear about your day.

Anonymous said...

Learning this blog stuff for you.Good luck with the rest of the trip. Love Lady, clancy and Dottie

OceanBlue said...

My dearest sister, I can only tell you that I am so happy for you. I can't wait to meet my new niece and have her be part of our family. You travel safely home and it will only be a short time before you will be back to bring our newest little girl into our family,
Love you lots,
Jessie

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! I bet today was the best day ever for you... Keeping you in my prayers that the time between this trip and the next is as short as possible.

Can't wait for the little Banana to get home so we can see some pics of her :-).

The Robins' Nest said...

Joy,
I am so happy for you. This is a day you will never forget, and one you will hold close to your heart until you bring little banana home.
Chris

Amy Webber said...

Joy,

So happy you had such a positive experience today. Maybe the wait is so that they can personally hand pick someone who is meant to be yours because it sounds as if she knew you all along. The snow is a sign....not sure what the sign is saying but I know for sure its a sign nonetheless!! Have a safe trip back to Moscow and back home eventually. I am a little sad for you that you only get that one meeting but I know that will be enough to keep you going.

Anonymous said...

thank god you were able to hold your little daring sounds like she needs us as much as we need her Joy Iam som proud of you god willing all will go well for both of you take care ilove you very very much hopfully you were able to kiss and hug little banna for all of us till you both come home love mom

Carey and Norman said...

So glad that your visit with Banana went so well. I love the fact that she held onto your legs and kept coming back to you for attention. It does seem that she knows who Momma is. I'm sure she'll be excited when you come back for her in a few months too. I cannot wait to hear more about Banana (size, fullness of cheeks, etc.) and about your time together. I love every little detail!!

Many blessings as you complete the paperwork tomorrow!

Congratulations on the adoption of a sweet, little girl!

Carey and Norman said...

I meant I KNOW she'll be excited when you return not I'm sure (sorry...wording sometimes sounds bad).

Laura said...

Joy -- I don't think you could have scripted a more perfect first meeting! I am so happy for you and will send some prayers out for a speedy process that will bring you back to your little banana.

Congrats!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Joy!

It sounds like everything went beautifully, and your sweet baby girl sounds just PERFECT! What a wonderful first meeting!!!! So the sooner you can get home, the sooner you get to be with her again :o) I can't wait to hear more and to eventually see those pictures from today!

So so so happy for you and Gerard. And the snow... just beautiful.
Love,
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

So happy for you. Just wishing you could bring her home. Either way, looks like you love your daughter so very much.

Congrat to you both!

Soon, she will be home and you'll wonder how you ever lived life without her :)

Barb said...

So happy for you, Joy!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy!! I am so happy for you that you met the little Banana!! That is so precious how she was staring at you and then wanted you to pick her up again. I had a tear in my eye when I read this post. I have not yet experienced it, but I know it is a day you will cherish always.
Prayers and warmest wishes...Teresa

ana said...

How wonderful that you met your precious daughter! What a glorious day! So happy for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Joy Ellen,
I am sooooo happy for you and Little Anna Banana that you have finally had the chance to hold each other and that the time is nearing that she will get to come home to all of her family that have loved her since there was a sparkle in your eyes about her.
I spend time with Dottie every morning and tell her about your trip... she seems to miss you, but after a few minutes and a tummy rub shes back to normal. JoyBabe helped herself to some of Uncle G's cookies... ;)
Love you and cant wait to see the pictures.
Your Loving Sister,
Julie Anne

Kim said...

Congratulations Joy!!! What a day! I am so happy things are going well. Good luck today!

Kim

Anonymous said...

hi joy jacquie is here with the boys we are all so thrilled for you ,will keep praying for both of you. it is friday @9am mom

I will be thinking of you tonight as I'm singing a happy tune. I'll be missing you!!!! (My partner)

Daberath said...

I am so happy for you! I am so glad you enjoyed your time with your Little Banana! Praying for a safe trip hope and that the adoption process continues to go smoothly!

LynnF said...

tears of joy for you and your little banana. May this be the first day of many you will never forget. Be safe. Have an uneventful journey home.

Rich and Jolynn said...

So very excited for you and Gerard. What a great experience to have little banana come to you and let you hold her. You must be so thrilled! Congratulations!

Safe travels back to Moscow. I am blog stalking looking for an update.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! Best wishes, Rick, Jackie, Aristotle & Sloan

Anonymous said...

hi joy ellen its mom (nanny) hoping your trip back to moscow has been ok and the paper work is a thing of the past ha/ paper work paper work seems thats been the deal but the happiness we are all going to experience with you gerald and your little doll will be forgotten the minute you are all together Jacquie and the boys have been here since thursday night she is singing at southern tonight and of course Joanie is taping it so you will beable to share it later see if you can buy some russian toys the egg one that fits inside till its the little one ok they are usually hand painted and very beautiful my prays and love to you imiss you mompr

Troy and Rachel said...

Your little banana sounds wonderful! I'm so glad she took right to you!!! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joy - The "eye catching connection" did it for me, it brought tears to my eyes:o) Banana truly was drawn to you and was bonding with you, she felt the love and security. We are thinking of you and are eager to meet Banana.
Love, Jenny, Rick, and Ricky

Janine said...

What a wonderful day! I'm so glad everything has gone so well. I'm so happy for you! It sounds like she has quite the outgoing personality already. What a sweetheart!