Saturday, July 11, 2009

The verdict is in about my Family Medical Leave

Thursday I set aside time to deal with the Human Resources department where I work. At the urging of my blogger friends I made an appointment to talk to them about the amount of Family Medical Leave that I am entitled to take once Little Banana is home with me. Of course my biggest fear was that the amount of time that I would be allowed to take would be diminished because of my unlucky break.

Which by the way Thursday marked the close of my 17 week of waiting. I think I will change things up a bit and start counting down it is much shorter so as of this past Thursday I had 2 weeks and 1 day until I leave for Russia. Can not believe it is true but I do love the sound of it.

So back to my FML. As predicted I was WRONG! I really do not mind being wrong on this however because I found out YES I am entitled to my full 12 weeks, also know to me as 3 months leave, 36 days off, 432 hours of no work. I could go on but you get the picture. I do however have according to the rules have to use my vacation time but I already knew that so I have been preparing for the past couple of years. I managed to save up almost 500 hours so even better all of my time off will be paid leave.

What a relief. I just am in amazement how this is working out for me. I have more to be thankful for so hold on to your hats. 6 weeks of the 12 weeks are going to be paid for by the state. yes you read that right. In New Jersey as of July 1, 2009 we have paid leave from the state for the birth and or adoption of a child for the purposes of bonding. I will be paid a little less then what I currently make but I will be able to supplement the difference with vacation time. I figure this will save me close to 100 hours of vacation time that I can take at a later date.

Life is good! So the plan is I will take 6 weeks off after I come home to be with her then I will sprinkle (I love that word) the rest throughout the year so that I can ease into going back to work full time. I have to sit down and plot out what days I want on a calender that the Human Resources department gave me to have my director sign. That seems to be the only draw back is that I have to plot them out but hey I am still all good with that. So tonight I will be busy planning and plotting out what I think I will need off.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so glad that your vacation time paid off. I am surprised to ehar about the 6 weeks paid by NJ. I only wish that was the case here. Part of the mess with my last job was me questioning why I wouldn't be able to take sick leave when I would bring Colby home. No paid leave for me but pais leave for my fellow pregnant colleague. I was so upset and that started the ball rolling toward my leaving. What a mess. Glad some states have it right!
Melissa

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

YES! The stars are lining up...

Laura said...

YES!!!! When I was reading comments about your FMLA, I was hoping you'd have the same benefits as me. I used vacation time (4 weeks) when we were in Ekat, then one week of Extended Sick Leave (40 hours can be used at our hospital when having a baby or adopting) when we were transitioning to Moscow and then I kicked in my 12 weeks of FMLA when we came home, of which 6 of those weeks are paid at 55% of pay by the State of CA (PFL - Paid Family Leave). Sounds like we have similar coverage and let me tell you -- it has been a blessing.

I only have until mid-August before going back to work but then Jon is going to take advantage of the FMLA and PFL and take 6 weeks off to be with our little one.

I still have you in our prayers that all moves forward and that soon you're packing to head to Russia.

Blessings,
Laura :)

Amy said...

Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good - and I am SUPER happy to see that in this stressful week you got some great news.

Rich and Jolynn said...

Thanks New Jersey! That is a cool bonus from the State. Good news is so wonderful. It is all coming together

Angela said...

Congratulations on your upcoming trip 2!

Yes, you're SO lucky to have the 6 weeks paid leave. Our state offers 12 weeks unpaid leave. I couldn't afford to go without even one paycheck, so ended up taking 10 paid days offered by my employer, plus all of my two weeks vacation for the year - and it was only January! Luckily my DD was older and started school two weeks after we came home. It was tough going the rest of the year without any time off, but I managed, especially when a couple of people I work with call in sick all the time because they don't feel like working. I just can't do that.

Fingers are crossed that everything works out for you!

Janine said...

This sounds very positive..yah!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Hi Joy-just got caught up on your blog and will continue to pray for things to go smoothly over the next few weeks up to your court date and through you getting your sweet girl! The verse that Kim gave you is my favorite, and it is the verse I quoted in my head over and over again while we were in Russia getting S. Remember that God is there to guide you through each step of the way and that He is going ahead of you to take care of everything.

I'm so glad your time off is working out as well. Praise the Lord!

I hope your packing is going very well! :)