Saturday, July 25, 2009

My feet hurt and it is onely my first day

Rather then sleep I decided to take a walk around and find Red Square. Wow do my feet hurt. Tomorrow I will brave the metro in the hunt for the open air market that everyone tells me is wonderful.

My bags are packed to the gills right now so I am thinking about waiting to purchase some of the things that I want to take home with me. When I packed for this trip I did include about 20 pairs of little shoes. So once I have off loaded them to the Director of the baby home then I should have plenty of room for the things that I want to buy before I leave next Saturday.

I did walk through the GUM and saw the fountain that Becky and Keith mentioned when they were here to pick up their little peanut. I also saw the changing of the guard. I first saw that on Dede and Rob's trip to pick up Liam and I hope to see it again so that I can get better video of it.

So I am off to put up my feet and get some rest. Because tomorrow will be busy.

5 comments:

Dede said...

You may want to ask some locals about the open air market before you head there. We just heard from Dinia that it was closed down this week.

Amy said...

YEA!!!!

How exciting! Enjoy your trip - take lots of pics!!

Becky and Keith said...

Dede is right! Check because the market appears to have been raided and closed. :-( It's also well off the beaten path so if it is still open, go with some other people. There is a souvenir shop on Old Arbat that our agency told us was the cheapest - I'm trying to remember the number. I think it was 26 or 29 or something. I'll see if I can find out and will post back here to let you know. We bought a lot of things from there - Christmas ornaments, etc...

Dede said...

I think Becky is talking about the same souvenir shop on Old Arbat where we bought some Christmas ornaments, nesting dolls and wooden boxes. They also have some dresses there for children. Here is what the front of the store looked like and as I recall it was on the opposite side of the street near Hard Rock Cafe.

Rob said...

Hey Joy, I'm sorry I forgot to send this to you sooner. Here's fairly decent map of the Arbat & Old Arbat area where I'll bet you're near:

Arbat & Old Arbat map.

By the way, I believe the souvenir store that that Dede linked to is about 2 blocks East on Old Arbat of Moo Moo - the restaurant with the cow statue. (Old Arbat runs roughly East-West with East being more towards the Red Square.)