Thursday, July 30, 2009

Her Name is .........

Believe it or not at work I have been called the naming police. I know, one of many things I am sure that they call me (All in love I am sure). But a name is so important. I think that you are born into a name and it is a matter of your parents getting it right the first time.

In my family all the girls names start with the letter 'J'. Not so many 'J' names out there that we have not already used. I am a rebel after all. When I thought we were getting a boy I thought great I do not have to buck the system. I can pick any name I want so of course I wanted Gerard which of course he hated. Joshua Thomas was my very favorite name when I was a little girl. All my baby dolls were named Joshua Thomas. Plus when I found out the meaning 'God rescues' I thought that is perfect. Nope he did not like Joshua. I loved Jeremy too. Again another perfect meaning 'God will raise you up'. Nope he hated that name too. We settled on Daniel Gerard. Love the name, love the meaning 'God is my judge' and for Gerard 'Strength of the spear' So for many months that was the name. I practiced spelling it and writing it. I LOVE that name.

We only briefly talked about girl names because remember I was getting a boy. So I loved the name Olivia Beth after my Father's parents Oliver and Betsy, he hated it. Mary Grace was one of my other favorites. My Mother is Marion and his is Marie. I thought it would be nice to name her kind of after both of them. I will tell you neither of them liked the name. So back to the drawing board.

Are you seeing a theme? I really like traditional names or names that have a family tie. Gerard is named after his Father and I think he has his Grandfather's name as his middle name, I am named after my Aunt Joyce and Aunt Eleanor on my Father's side. Confused yet? So after I was shot down for both of the girl names then I in passing mentioned Catherine. So Catherine was it he refused to discuss another name because if we got a girl that one was perfect and how can you mess with perfect?

Catherine was my Mother's Mother's name and also my Aunt Catherine Ann's name. Catherine was Gerard's Grandmother's name on his Father's side so I already knew it would work with both our last names. To make a very long story short many in my family are named Catherine, I have a very dear friend named Katherine as well.

When I got the call the Director of the agency asked me if I knew of an one in my family named Anna? I was stumped. No I do not think so well maybe then it was YES I do. Gerard's Grandmother on his mother's side was Ann but maybe it was Anna. I was not very sure. So I called him and we talked about it and just like him he did know whether his Grandmother was Ann or Anna. He just kept saying she was Grandma.

Thank goodness AM (his sister Ann-Marie, yes we call her AM like I am going to the store) knows all about the family history. So I asked her in passing because I was still a bit undecided about if that was the name I wanted for her. So under the pretense of I need it for her baby book she told me it was Anna not Ann.

Bingo! That was it her name would remain Anna. I still loved Catherine so we changed that to be her middle name. So that's the name....

Anna Catherine,

hence Little Banana, or Anna Banana.

The name Anna comes from Hannah which means gracious, merciful. So I got me Grace and Catherine means pure. Is there anything more pure then a baby?

Just an additional piece of information about her name Gerard bless his heart loved it because it spelt the same way coming and going and is a very "Even name" 4 letter, 2 A's, 2 N's and if you draw a line down the middle it is a mirror image. That is why he is convinced that she will be VERY neat and not hap-hazard like me! After spending the time I have with her I fear he is right. Just do nto tell him I will never hear the end of that.

26 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Love it! I love knowing the meaning of names, don't you??? And children just seem to naturally go with what their name means! I wanted Caera Natalia for a girl. . .Pat's mothers name is Natalie and Caera means "heart" and "love" in gaelic.

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

when numbers and letters are the same front as backwards they are called palindromes, just thought you'd want to know the technical term for it!

Hans means "God is gracious"
Austin means "Venerated" which means to look upon with feelings of deep respect

Anna Cathrine is perfect!

Mary said...

I love her name and it's very thoughtful. My name is Mary Grace though and that would have been a nice coincidence. haha!

Beth said...

I love the name Anna!! Now I understand little banana, very clever. Can't wait to see a picture of your little girl.

Sarah said...

I wondered if the name might be Anna, our Russian daughter is also Anna and we also called her Anna Banana. Congratulations, I've been reading your blog for a while now but don't think that I have posted before. I'm so happy that everything has worked out for you and Anna.

Michelle said...

beautiful! we have lots of catherine anns in our family... so the two names are very familiar to me. ;-)

i'm VERY GLAD you did NOT name her mary grace - although it's a great name, it's also the name of the best friend i lost a year & a half ago. i nearly cried when i read the name on your blog... and i seriously don't know if i could've kept reading it, i'm still that sad.

praying for you & little anna banana!

are you going to pronounce it like we do here, rhyming with banana, or the way they do it in russia, like "anya"?

Amy said...

what a beautiful, meaningful name for your little girl.

All 4 of our kids have at least one family name name. My girls have both first and middle family names.

Can't WAIT to see pictures!!! And Congratulations on court. 5 hours is LONG!!!! Both of ours was about 45 mins at the most. I thought I was going to loose it with that, I would have definitely lost it with 5 hours. Especailly if I was by myself. K did all the talking, I was asked 1 question in each court session (which was fine with me).

GREAT BIG HUGS to the new mommy!

Carrie said...

Beautiful name!

Amy said...

Her name is beautiful. Congratulations on your daughter!

Melissa said...

I love her name. And she will always be Anna Banana! I was so hoping you had a photo attached to your post. I can't wait much longer!

We hemmed and hawwed about names for a little while. I alwyays wanted a girl named Andrianna but had no clus for a boy. Mike was looking names up on the computer and happened onto Colby. Between our two families there are so many people and we didn't want to repeat a name and no one was Colby. I do watch bull riding and there is a cute Colby Yates so there it is. Colby Michael (Mike's family uses the father's name as the boys' middle names so all the boys will be so-and-so Michael).

Congrats again!
Melissa

Carolynn and Steve said...

I love it, too!
The meaning is perfect, and you've got the names of two Russian empresses, too.

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

You are too funny! I love her name! It is so pretty!

Did you find out for sure how long it will take for you to bring her home?

Mark and Sinziana said...

Beautiful, beautiful name! Congratulations on surviving the 5 hours court hearing!

Dede said...

I love the name and loved the all the thought you put into the names and their meanings. It's perfect!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I'm confused... are you and Gerard married? It seems that you alone are adopting but yet you talk about her name going well with both of your last names...just wondering. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and her name is beautiful and I'm sure she'll be proud to have it! Tessa (I'm also the anonymous comment right before this one.)

mamma2 said...

I love her name. My daughter's name is Catherine. I am so excited for you guys and hope you get her home soon!

Deb said...

Love the name. Love all the time and energy it seems to have taken to come up with her name. I'm a big name girl. Was a bit sad that Isabel was already Isabel when she was introduced to us but quickly learned to love it since it fits her so well.
Hope to be able to see pics of your sweet Anna Banana soon.

Carey and Norman said...

Very sweet story and I too love the name. I am a fan of family names and think you have chosen the perfect one for your banana!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Beautiful! So happy for you Joy!!! This is such an exciting time.

Did they tell you when you would get to come back to pick her up?

Rich and Jolynn said...

She has a beautiful name! Do you have any details about the third trip?

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,
I love the name Anna - It is so pretty!! That is so cute - Anna Banana!!
I am so excited for you!!

Amy said...

One of my dear friends whose family is from Ukraine is Anna. I think it's perfection.

Jane and Jim said...

Perfect name - I love the history behind it too!

Dana Doctor said...

Anna... beautiful name!