Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Metro

Well I ventured out on the metro today. My thinking is that the metro would not be nearly as busy on a Sunday then on a Monday. This way I could figure out where I needed to go in order to make it to Red Square and save the walk fro shopping instead. I thought this was a pretty good plan.

Well I guess it would have been if I had a pocket map of the Metro or I could read the signs or if I knew where I was going or insert many over factors. So needless to say I have been on the Metro and gotten off at many different stops none of them being the ones that I wanted. On the bright side I have seen much of Moscow in Aunt Nel fashion. Now do not worry I was not walking around with an open bag or looking in the sky.

One thing about the Metro that is really cool in it is pretty deep underground. The escalators are really steep. I would venture to guess that one of the reason why there is an old lady stationed at the bottom of each escalator is because a lot of people fall down them. I would also guess that they are at least 3-4 stories below ground.

Walking around Moscow can be somewhat hard because of all the underground tunnels that one must take to get to the other side of the street. Darting across the street is near impossible here because of the traffic. I imagine without these underground tunnels the traffic would be far worst.

The weather here is hot, actually hotter then it was at home. Yup forgot my shorts. What did I pack? Nope there is no air conditioning in the apartment or if it is I can not find it. I did find a fan which made me laugh and think of the time Gerard, AM, Eddie and I went to Maine. I had talked them into these ocean front cottages and there was no A/C just a fan. I can still picture the look on Eddie's face when he told Gerard there was no air. Oh course it was actually 106 degrees that year in Maine as we spent the better part of one day in the McD because they had A/C. Guess where I had a long lunch? Yup McD.

4 comments:

Nicole Brueck said...

We loved the metro there. Isn't it beautiful? Sounds like you made it back to your apartment as you are blogging. What saved us on the metro was our iphone. We had a translating application on there that we could translate the stops we wanted and then it showed it in Russian.
Can't wait to hear more!

Melissa said...

Wow! The metro. YOu are brave. We only braved the underground street passages. But, we also had Colby when we were there. No other time in Moscow. So being Mommy and Daddy was a big enough challenge!
Melissa

Dede said...

Those escalators are steep! I remember one being out at one of our stops and we had to climb the escalator and I was thinking of how it was as close to mountain climbing as I would ever come. We never "mastered" The Metro either but it was fun trying!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Your adventures in Moscow are making me green with envy... or maybe that is the just the mint chocolate chip ice-cream I am eating while reading your blog. [Sorry] Anywho, I would love to be there with you! Stay safe and enjoy the sights!