Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Telling Gerard About His Little Girl

I am definitely going into overdrive! I do have a few things that need to be done in order to make things happen. The first thing is those documents that I decided not to update. Well if I had things to do over again this would be one of them. I am starting to find it so hard to get things done now that I have a picture to stare at.

The second most obvious question and something that I did not cover eariler today was "How is Gerard doing??"

Well let me tell you how he found out about his little girl.

I had driven to the agencies office fully knowing in my head that I was probably not going to get anywhere but in my heart I felts something different. I will get back to that.

Anyone that has been around Gerard and I knows that we call each other about a cool thousand times per day. Usually it is one or two sentences but typically he could call me or me him 2 times in an hour. So before I got out of the car in the agency parking lot I called him to tell him I was there and said a quick prayer.

I went into the office and my coordinator was not there yet because it was earily and I knew that she had a late night. So I asked to talk with the director of the Russsian program. We talked about my fears and my box of concern. She asked me if I had 15 minutes so that she could hang up with me, review my file and call Russia.

Of course I said yes. So I sat down with an adoption book that I have been meaning to start reading and started to read it. About 15 minutes later the staff told me that the director was on the phone for me. She told me that she had great news. That I had a referral, I assumed that it was a boy so I asked if he was healthy and that is when she told me SHE looked pretty good to her.

I started to cry. She told me to take some time and to call my family so that she could email everything to my coordinator. I walked out and called Gerard. He could hear that I was crying so he started to think the worst. He said "Oh Bozz it is going to be alright!" Bozz is my nickname.

That is when I told him at 11:00 am in the hall of the building "You are going to be a Daddy and guess what it is a girl!" Silence on the other end of the phone. I would say shock does not even describe his reaction. Then he kept asking me "What do you mean? I do not understand? It's a girl!"

Fast forward a couple of hours I called him from the airport. He was going a mile a minute. He rattled off a list bigger then the one Santa carries around of things that I must do when I get home. But the funniest comment that he made was "I have to get under the house and get the cleaning done before she comes."

On my drive home I called Adrienne to tell her the news (Please send up a prayer for her). I wanted to tell her as close to in person as I could. When I got home Gerard was awake and waiting to see the pictures.

One of the pictures is of her looking up at the ceiling. Now the big discussion in my house has been that I wanted a chandelier in the baby's room and he keeps telling me "No way! Boys do not get chandeliers!!" I held up the picture and this is where he walked right into it. He said "What do you think she is looking at?" So I told me "She wants to know where her chandelier is???" Oh is he in trouble!

17 comments:

Kevin T. said...

Oh My Gosh! Joy I am so excited for you and Gerard!!!!! I have been missing in action the past week and I just went into your blog and I am so happy for you!!!! I am tearing as I type this!!! Congratulations!!!! Warmest Wishes...Teresa

Melissa said...

It's a good day all around! Congrats on your referral. Mike and I just received the court date email! We have court on Feb 4th! OMG!
Melissa

Carrie said...

Congratulations on your referral!!! This is so exciting. Enjoy preparing for a little girl!

Roger and Joanne said...

I loved reading how you found out and then how Gerard found out. Beautiful! I'm really so happy for you. But, you never did say what it was while driiving to the agency that you knew in your heart it felt different.....

Keep posting...I'm hooked.

Colette said...

Oh Joy, I squealed in delight when I logged on and read your wonderful news! Congratulations!

I’m very excited to read about all your preparations for your little GIRL! I’m also very surprised that you’ll be welcoming a little girl, but I suppose, when you look at your agency’s stats (which you posted recently) they seem to have placed a pretty even amount of boys and girls.

Congratulations once again, and I’ll be praying that the remainder of the process passes swiftly and without any problems.

MBKimmy said...

I have goose bumps, tears and prayers! Congrats! I will continue to pray for your little girl to come HOME! Did they say how long it will be now?!
I have been praying for Adrienne also! I know there time will come but they sure can use all the prayers we got right now -

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

That's funny about the chandelier and cleaning under the house! :) I'm so happy for you all!!

Angie and Curt said...

I am absolutely delighted for you. Congrats and good luck!
Angie

Our Family said...

Hi Joy,
I just read both of your last posts, and I am sitting here with tears of excitement for you both.
Congratulations! What a great story to share with your daughter in the future!
Great luck with getting all of your paperwork "chores" done!
Adrian

Carey and Norman said...

Love it! So glad you received a referral when least expected. I also love how Gerard was also surprised and you are already planning for that chandelier!! Right up my alley.

Kim said...

What fantastic news!!! Congratulations!

Kim

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I am so incredibly excited and happy for you. I have a great resource for a chandelier if you need one :O) I love chandeliers in nurseries (as you know), boys OR girls!!

Thank you for your prayers and for calling me yesterday and making me smile!!!!

Much love,
Adrienne

Laura said...

Congratulations, Joy!!! Wonderful news! I just teared up how you told Gerard about his little girl...

I'll be checking in frequently to get the latest!

Many blessings,
Laura

Melody said...

Joy I am so so excited for you! I've been following (silently) your blog for a few months now and I couldn't be more thrilled! Congratulations!!

Deb said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I go away for a weekend get lost in life and I miss your huge news. So very happy for you MOMMY!! So glad to hear your news. And a GIRL!!!

Have you shared her name?

Congratz!

ana said...

Congratulations on your referral!!! Such happy news! Hope you get to travel soon.

Stephanie and Dennis said...

OH HOW WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you!!!!