Sunday, January 18, 2009

And the Snow Came Down




And the snow came down. That is how I will always start the story of how we tell her about the day we found out about her. The day I got the call it was snowing. Today after I made the decision to tell her Grandparents the snow started to fall again. I just love the snow, fresh, clean and innocent just like her.

We have been torn about when to tell our parents. Gerard being so concrete he really wanted to wait until the travel dates have been confirmed. I guess I am more of a free spirit and I want to tell everyone.

The problem is we live in a very small town. For a very long time I was described as the girl with the red car. No joke I had gone into a real estate office to ask about a house that was for sale and the real estate person says "I know you. You are the girl that drives the red car!" Needless to say I was a bit freaked out by that statement.

If I am not related to someone then Gerard is. There are no secrets in this town so I knew that I would have to tell our parents sooner rather then later. I made up a small little scrap book with her pictures and 2 small ones for each set of parents.

We asked AM (That is her nickname AM short for Ann-Marie) and Eddie (Gerard's sister and BIL) to come over to the house before dinner. That is when we hit them with the news. I think they knew something was up. I think however the biggest surprise was that she was a girl. Then it was the name. Then it was when we asked them to be the God parents.

Off to dinner we went with Gerard's parents. We have always talked in general terms about when the baby comes this will be different or that will be different. The funny thing is out of the 4 of us at the table who slipped up you guessed it Gerard. I do not think that anyone but Eddie and I caught it. So I decided that is enough! I do not want any one's feelings to be hurt because they did not know what was going on.

So after dinner we all came home and I told them. Poppop (just trying that on for size) was shocked and kept saying "It's a girl! We are going to spoil her" Grandma (just trying that on for size too) said "I guess we have to go shopping" Somehow I forgot to get pictures probably because Gerard hid the camera.

Then Gerard was sent to bed and I was off to my Mother's house. She says she did not know but I think she has had a suspicion. She told me "Today at church I lite a candle for her" I told my Mother her name and expected the worst but was surprised. See her name has been repeated throughout all 4 sides of the family for the last couple of generations.




Nannie AKA Cookie AKA My Mom

Don't worry naming her is a whole different post.

6 comments:

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

ha! I laughed out loud about Gerard hiding the camera. I loved this post Joy, how you tried on names for size, the look on your mom's face, the shock over your baby being a girl. Keep documenting all of this!! Can't wait to hear her final name :o)

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Telling ones parents about a new grandbaby is always the best kind of joy, isn't it? Can't wait to hear the name!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
That is so cute - Your Mom looks so thrilled! I also can't wait to hear the name you have decided on for her. You all still must be in shock that the baby is a girl.
I am so happy for you all!

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

Cookie must have little birdie spies because she always has intuition on these types of things!!

Anonymous said...

i love the picture of your mom!!! that will be one loved little girl.

Janine said...

Congratulations Joy!!! I'm so thrilled for you!! A redheaded baby girl!! I'm a little partial to those redheads myself. :-)

I love your stories about Gerald. :-) The photo of your mom is priceless..it makes me teary eyed too.

Congrats! It's about time! I'm glad everything is working out with your agency and you didn't have to swtich. I'm so happy for you!! Can't wait to hear more and more news!