Friday, January 16, 2009

Drive, Drive, Drive & My Very First Adoption Lecture by a Stranger

Today I had to pick up documents from my home study agency which is about 1.5 hours north of where I live. Only to figure out in the car that I still needed 2 more documents notarized. So the hunt was on to find some one who would do it for free. (AKA my bank). I was lucky and found a branch of one of the two banks that I use. Okay I know why two banks that is a really long story so I will save that for later.

I walk into the bank and ask to have some documents notarized. That is when the lecture starts. This woman was also from an Eastern European Country but not Russia. The basic gist was she felt that I should no consider international adoption only domestic. I stood there looking at her picture thinking that this is my daughter and that no one can tell me different. I guess this is the first of many times that I could hear this kind of talk but I will be better prepared.

So I have a few more documents that will not be done until Tuesday. Orignally, I was going to just have the State of NJ send them to the agency until Gerard said "You are going to trust them to send the documents???" I think he was really worried and then I started to worry so Tuesday morning I will be off to Trenton at least one more time. I love those heated seats.

8 comments:

my3sons said...

Oh my gosh! The nerve of that woman. Why do people think they should give you advice? Especially the bank teller:)

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Joy! I haven't checked in for a few days and I am so so so THRILLED for you guys about this fantastic news :) Grinning ear to ear. Can't wait to hear more about your sweet baby girl.

Nicholas was a tiny little guy at birth, too - but is chunking up nicely!!!

Oh, I'm so excited.

Big hugs to you, cm

Amy said...

You go girl!

It still makes my blood boil when people make comments, but I am learning to let it roll off my back.

Carrie said...

I just read your statistics post. I know you did not ask for this but I have a couple of good friends whose children are from that same region. If you go to my blog they are on my blog roll - One Lucky Mom and My Life... A Work in Progress. I also think Proof Positive's son is from there as well. Just thought you might be interested. Good Luck!!

Rich and Jolynn said...

It is so strange how adoption prompts people to be so rude even when they do not mean to be. My favorite I've heard so far is "what about the child's real parents"? My response was "what do you think I will be to them"?

I'm with Gerard regarding picking up the docs from the state, a piece of mind in the least.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I find it SO weird that someone from Eastern Europe would tell you to adopt domestically. I'll share an opposite kind of story with you. When we were on our way home from Russia with Owen, we met a woman and a teenage girl who were traveling to the U.S. for the girl to be hosted by a family here for part of the summer. Both of them thanked us for adopting Owen. They said they wished so much she had been adopted as a child. Your daughter will be!! She will not have to grow up in an orphanage praying that she might be selected by a family as a teenager rather than being put on the street.

I am just so excited for you. Drive Drive Drive!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I have found that most people are really thrilled around here. And, those from Russia, or former Soviet countries, generally look at Aidan and tell him he is a very lucky little boy. Don't listen to the nay sayers. They obviously don't understand a mother's love! Don't you love that your daughter was born in your heart??? Good luck this week in the latest phase of paper chasing!

Stephanie and Dennis said...

Don't you jusy love that drive to Trenton - especially during Rush Hour!!!!!! Everythingf will go wonderful. Let me know if I can be of any help!!! I nam right around the corner.
Stephanie