Saturday, August 22, 2009

Retrospective post about the day I picked her up forever

August 17 will never be the same for me. I waited patiently for the clock to tick down so that I could officially get up and get ready to pick up my baby forever. How is it that the last 15 minutes that you sleep are always the best?

I got up showered, put on make-up, which is a big deal for me. Packed a big fat diaper bag and headed to the meeting spot where Alex was to pick me up. Nope I could not figure out how to collapse the stroller but he has experience. We got to the train station in plenty of time to stand at the platform to wait for her arrival.

I consider myself lucky that she was brought to me instead on me having to make the trip to get her. I know that Anna knew the person with whom she would be traveling with so it was a little less stressful for her then if I were the one to pick her up. Although the train ride was quite long about 15 hours overnight.



I waited and watched the clock, 6:11 am right on time the train started to pull in. The train station becomes very busy with people boarding and disembarking the trains and I was afraid that I was going to miss seeing her the moment that she got off. I did not. She stood next to the caregiver with her little hoody on and mary jane shoes holding the caregivers hand. I think she recognized me at least that is my perception. I scooped her up in my arms and gave her a kiss. She is now my baby forever.

I did think to bring my camera and here are the pictures that were snapped about 5 minutes after I got her forever.






Then it was back to the apartment for the physical examination. Again I feel that I was lucky because the doctor came to us rather then us having to travel to him. He told me that she is very healthy and that he liked her a lot. Later Alex told me that most of the babies scream when they are getting their exam. Instead she took the hammer that they use to check for reflexes right out of his hand and rechecked hers just to be sure they were there. Too cute.

Breakfast went well and was the best meal that she had in Russia. Now I was finally alone with my baby for the very first. We played in the apartment for a couple of hours. I knew she was tired and I just wanted to be with her. No reason to venture out. After about couple of hours we both laid down and took a 4 hour nap. Man I needed it. She woke up all smiles.

We headed out to walk around a bit that is when I realized the underground tunnels had ramps that fit only larger strollers. So rather then take her out I grabbed the stroller with baby and bags and walked her down. I took a very inexpensive stroller and was very light. The funny thing is she thought this was a game. When I would grab the stroller I held her tight to me and she would snuggle into me. When she would see that we were approaching a tunnel she would start to get excited.

One of her favorite toys was the Mr. Pot@to head dolls glasses. She carried them around for hours.


Thank goodness I took pictures along the way because it seems like so long ago that I was in Moscow now. I really wanted to preserve all these memories and the pictures really helped jog my memory.

8 comments:

Dana Doctor said...

I can feel your excitement! I love the picture of the train... the anticipation.

Rob said...

I quickly tired of taking Liam in & out of the stroller to maneuver the stairs to & from the under-road tunnels, so I did the same thing - just picked up stroller, child, & all and hoofed it!

Still can't believe this all fell together so suddenly after such a long and worrysome wait. Congratulations again!

Candace said...

Such a sweet moment to remember! So happy for you!!!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Wow! We went to the orphanage to pick up Aidan. . .and we had his Caregiver chasing us out to the car crying! Yikes!! I like how you did it much better! Sooooo happy for you!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Wow! We went to the orphanage to pick up Aidan. . .and we had his Caregiver chasing us out to the car crying! Yikes!! I like how you did it much better! Sooooo happy for you!

Sarah said...

She really is beautiful. I was laughing when I read about Mr Potato Head's glasses. My daughter Anna, adopted from Vladivostok at 18months, wore Mr Potato's glasses almost daily for the first month home.

Laura said...

Joy --- you look sooooo happy! And for such a wonderful reason.

Congrats to you!!!!

~Laura :)

Anita said...

I'm sorry I've been soo wrapped up in my own sorrow that I haven't been over here to share in your JOY!! Thanks for all your support!