Thursday, August 6, 2009

Recap of my third visit

On the third visit I was taken to the baby home without a translator. Quite honestly I was okay with this because I had known ahead of time. I had insisted on an extra visit and I understood that I would not be accompanied by any one other then the driver.

On the drive there I had decided that I was going to take a few pictures but mostly just enjoy her. I feel like in the 2 visits prior I was just being totally watched by everyone. I have never been alone with her. Not for one minute. As someone who watches new mothers I understand both the fear and concern that these care takers might have because to them I am a stranger too. So this time I was taken to her pod and she was woken from her nap to see me. I was thinking great just what I tell people not to do I am doing. Waking a sleeping baby for my own pleasure or enjoyment.

I was in a different room then I had previously visited her in. She was brought to me and did not want to come to me at first. My heart broke a bit to know that even though I love her and have prepared for her for the last 2 years she could care less and preferred the company and safety of the arms of her care giver. I keep telling myself that this could be a good sign. I know it is way to early to think she is not going to attach to me or that she and I will even have problems attaching. It is however not to early to understand how a child attaches to a Mother.

She has not been preparing for me, she has not been hoping that I would come and take her home. One day I hope that she will be glad that I did but for today, right now she did not want any part of that she wants the comfort and safety of what she knows as home. This time when she was brought into the room she did look at me. It is almost sad to think of how happy this made me feel just to have her look at me.

I reached into my bag to get out a book, it worked yesterday why not today. So I held the book and her desire to hold and touch the book won out. She came to me. I tickled her a little bit and let her get comfortable sitting on my lap. This day she wore a white shirt and a pink cotton jumper, socks and the same sandals as yesterday. I do love those little baby feet.

After about 10 minutes with the book I switched it out with the book of pictures that I was going to use for court. We were sent outside to 'play.' Mostly she just wanted to flip through the book. She sat on my lap facing away from me for a couple of minutes until I could feel her relax a bit. Then I turned her around to face me. We both flipped through the book of pictures. I would stop her at a different picture and tell her what was in the picture.


I could tell that she was starting to enjoy being on my lap. I know for those who have never adopted this may sound quite strange but just her wanting to sit on my lap overwhelmed me with happiness. After about the 400th time through the book I stopped her at the picture of my car and her car seat. I told her machina or car in Russian which she responded with a noise that was definitely car like. Then she smiled. She gets it. I know all Mother's think their children are smart but I just can not get over how she stopped and listened to me explain what the picture was and her response was correct.

She seemed to slow down some. We played with bubbles and the picture book that was it. She did take me inside at one point to show the care givers the book. At first they said they did not want to see it but then they seemed excited to see what it was. I am pretty sure that their initial reaction to not wanting to see the pictures was a communication problem. One of the care givers was very young. I would guess she was in her early 20's. I could see in her eyes how she looked at each picture very carefully. I was happy to see that she liked my home but I was also a touch sad because although my home is small and comfortable you could see that she wanted a home like this one for herself. She kept saying Anna was very lucky.

Then I took out shoes again. Anna was again so excited at just the sight of the shoes that it made me laugh inside. She wanted to try them all on. How sweet. What girl does not like a new pair o shoes?

We ventured outside again. This time for a walk. She took my finger and walked me back and forth in the ounce of shade that we could find. I got the feeling that she was starting to relax and want me there. I find it very interesting that the desires of an almost 2 year old can have such a big impact on an adult. My heart melts at the thought of her.

8 comments:

Julie said...

Oh she sounds like she will bond with you in no time!! But it is good that you sound so prepared for the possible bumpy journey that the bonding may take!! I don't even know you and yet I am so excited to see her photos!!

When do you travel to get her and how does that trip work? Is there any transition at all (meaning can you stay with her at the baby house where she is at for any amount of time?) So she can get a little used to you before she has to leave?

Looking forward to the continuation of your exciting story!! Especially the part about how you all lived happily ever after!!

Rich and Jolynn said...

She is going to surprise you. So sweet that she is into shoes. I might have to rethink her gift, hehe. So excited to see pictures of her with her Mommy and Daddy. So excited for you three!

kate said...

It makes a HUGE difference to have them all to yourself, doesn't it? I am so thankful that my translator on my last trip made herself scarce. She was shocked to hear that on my first trip the translator sat AT THE TABLE with us every.single.minute. Not fun.

You'll have her home SOON. And then you'll have all the time in the world to take things slowly and learn each other. Bliss.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

She'll attach. You'll see. It's huge that she took your hand and didn't cry and scream when left alone with you. I hated our 10 day waiting period, but I see the wisdom in it now. . .Aidan was finally really comfortable with us by the end of it! Give it time. Once you have her all the time, she'll know she can depend on you. Peace.

Melissa said...

IT sounds like your visits ended on a high note. That's great! I am so happy for you. Anna seems like a really smart little girl and she was just wary at first. Colby was so willing to go with us that it scared me for a different reason. However, he is definitely attached to us, just a REALLY outgoing little boy. Congrats again and I can't wait to see her.
Melissa

Carey and Norman said...

What a beautiful post! I loved hearing about your third visit. So sweet. I love that she looked at the pictures and made car noises. Too cute! I also loved that she tries on her shoes and gets excited about it. I have heard that shoes are a big deal in the orphanages as the children who are meeting their parents get to wear the newer shoes. I never would have thought of shoes being such a big deal.

I cannot wait until your trip next week!

Michelle said...

it is DEFINITELY a good thing that she is attached to her caregivers - if she came to you without hesitation, you'd have reason to be not just worried but alarmed & fearful for her future in some ways.

this shows that she CAN attach... that she knows how takes care of her and who is safe.

while this will make it more difficult for the time being, it is by far better for both of you in the long run.

and btw, i know how you feel about the airports - i can see the control tower at Dulles airport from my neighborhood, and i grew up in arlington, smack in the middle of Dulles, National, and BWI. :-)

- michelle

Dede said...

What a great visit. I don't know what it is about the shoes but they all seem to love them. I guess it is because they have to share. Liam still loves his shoes.