Friday, August 7, 2009

I have booked my flights!

Go ahead ask me how I was able to book 2 seats for less then 1400.00 dollars in the summer time! I know I may be a bit crazy but no I am not taking a direct flight with good reason. At least I hope I will feel that way when I am exhausted beyond belief with an almost 2 year old crying at my feet. I booked a flight that is similar to the one that I just completed.

Instead of flying out of New York Laguardia (LGA) to Chicago I will be flying out of Newark, New Jersey. The drive to LGA is a crazy busy drive and quite unpredictable as far as traffic goes from South Jersey. The drive to Newark is better. Newark is only 1.5 hours from my home LGA is a little over 2 hours but there is no real direct route. I think sometimes this is both a curse and gift that I live near so many different airports. Literately within 2 hours of my home there are 4 major airports and 1 smaller one that is my favorite. Lots of options can make choosing the right option difficult.

I hate to say it but money is the single reason why I did not book the direct flight. The tickets for the direct flights were close to 2000.00 per person for a grand total of just over 4000.00 dollars. But I saved close to 2700.00 dollars this way and that is nothing to sneeze at.

Here is how I did it. I booked with American same as the last flight. I purchased additional miles for 540.00 dollars which brought my total number of miles to just over 30,000 miles. This is what I needed for a one way ticket for her home. First I checked with the airline that they had a ticket available. I purchased my ticket for 850.00 dollars then called the airline to make her reservation. So it is official we have 2 seats for the trip home.

I leave here on August 15 to arrive in Moscow on August 16. Then we both depart Moscow on August 19! I will be reunited with Anna on August 17 in the early morning. Oh I just can not wait.

14 comments:

Kellie said...

Wow! How exciting! We were not direct either, since there were not direct flights from Moscow to Dallas. It actually worked out nicely. We flew into Chicago, went through immigration and were able to stretch our legs. It was a nice place for Hope to get some wiggles out and run a bit. I was also able to freshen up and put on some much needed make up before landing to a hoard of family in Dallas. :)

Words can not express how happy I am for your family!
~Kellie

Melissa said...

YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! I am so excited and happy for you and Gerard and Anna! What great news. We didn't have a direct flight either but instead flew from Moscow to Frankfurt. THe layover was only about an hour just long enough to treck across the whole airport and sit for a little while but it was worth it. It gave all of us a chance to run and stretch before the longer flight home. I'm not sure i could have handled a direct flight, I might have gone stir crazy!
Melissa

Melody said...

I can't believe you are so close to bringing her home!!! I am so so excited for you!!

Carey and Norman said...

So very excited for you! It won't be long now.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Yeah!!!! So happy to hear that you will bring her home SOON!!! I think you made the right choice regarding the flights. That flight home for me from Moscow to Chicago direct was only 1/3 full on the way home and the flight attendants were SO nice to me.

I cannot wait to see her sweet face!!!

Maybe another sneak peak now? ha.

Kristine

JennStar said...

I am giddy for you!!!! So close!!!!!

Laura said...

Another thing checked off the list and one step closer to Anna!

Yeah!!!!!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Yeah for you!! Wow. I can't even begin to imagine travelling like that with a toddler whom you have only had for a couple of days. . .I'll keep you in my prayers. . .I'm so excited for you! You're going to be a full time Mommy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy, This is so exciting that the trip is booked!!! I am so extremely happy for you!!! Aug. 15th is right around the corner!!
Have fun preparing for your trip!!!
Teresa

kate said...

Good work! I think $2300 is worth the stopover. I hope so...

Have you heard that there is a strong possibility I have to fly with my newly adopted little one TO HAWAII for visa issues? Keep that one in mind. No matter how long your flight is, it won't be 37 hours.

kate said...

Feel free to delete this comment--I couldn't find an e-mail address for you.

I started reading your blog when you were on your first trip...but feel like I'm missing some things. Maybe I'm just being nosy, and you certainly don't have to answer my questions! But I'll ask anyway. ;>

Um, who is Gerard? Is he a boyfriend? Sometimes you write like you're a single mom (I will be--which is why I'm interested) and sometimes you write like he's your husband.

What region are you in? (Maybe you'll tell us when the ten days are over?) My region requires 10 visits prior to court. I can't believe how few you've had!

Thanks for humoring me! I'm so excited that Anna is almost, ALMOST home. You must be just beside yourself.

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

HURRAY!!!!!!!

Dede said...

Woo hoo...it's finally here! You'll be arriving in Moscow on my birthday. I'm so excited for you!

ana said...

Only 1 more week and then you will be with her! I'm so excited for you!!!