Monday, August 3, 2009

Recap of my first visit

Last night I slept very well except that Dottie woke me up because she was sick twice but I was able to go right back to sleep. We went out to dinner last night with my sister, Mom, the boys and Gerard's parents. About 3/4 of the way trough dinner I realized I was really tired. On the 5 minute drive to home I fell asleep. Tonight I go back to work.

I have to say I am so glad that I got to see her twice. I did have to pay for the driver for the 2nd day but it was money well spent. Not to mention I do still have a funny story about the drive.

I wanted to recap what went on during the first visit. Much of this I did expect but even in knowing that I found that it was still hurtful to know that she had changed and in my opinion not for the best.

During the first visit after 5 months of being away from her she was brought in and placed on my lap. She was wearing a white cotton dress with purple embroidery on it, pink cotton tights and dark pink sandals with pink hearts. She did not want to be on my lap but was told to stay there in Russian. I gave her a book with mirrors on each page. She started to flip through the book fast and furiously looking. Not so much looking at the book but more just wanting to do the action of flipping the pages. When she realized that there were mirrors on the pages that slowed her down some.

This visit lasted about 4 hours, which again I am glad that it did because I think it was helpful for the next day. She did not look at me much which is what the difference is from 5 months ago. When I first met her she made terrific eye contact. Making eye contact did not seem to make her uncomfortable. She would look me directly in the eyes. This visit if she looked me directly in the eyes for a total of 5 minutes that was a lot. I know that this will be a work in progress so I am optimistic that she will progress nicely.

I know that some of my family is reading this blog and quite honestly Gerard did not want me to post anything about this on the blog. In his mind he wants to protect her from anyone who might think that she is different or perhaps there is something wrong with her. What is wrong is she did not and has not EVER had a Mother or a Father. She has had people who have provided for her basic needs of food and shelter but not the emotional stuff that comes along with having parents who love you unconditionally.

I do see his point that we need to keep somethings private and I have with regards to her history. I have spoken to a hand full of blogger friends about her history and I will ask that you never mention anything on this blog about her birth family or history so that we can continue to keep this information private for her.

Now I need to get our families to understand the madness that comes along with attachment and bonding. I have always thought that this was going to be the hardest part of the journey and I still do. I think the transition into parenthood is usually tricky and I do see this a lot at work so I should take some of my own advice. The parents are in charge no one else.

I feel like the ones that needed to be prepare the most quite honestly do not seem to get it. I know that most of what I am saying to them is being heard as me wanting to 'Just be bossy or do it my way only.' I am a pretty open person as many of you can tell I really do not hold back much on this blog or in person for that matter. I have openly spoken about every adoption blog that I read to my family in the effort to try to spark some interest in either reading my blog or investigating others who have journeyed before me. Alas I know that over the past 2 years very few of my family members have read it consistently, actually I only know of one Jaime Lynn.

From the time I met Anna until forever she will be first or to put it another way 'You first after Anna!' Anna has never been first in any one's life. She WILL be first now.

During this visit I have found out that she is quite the girly girl in terms of shoes. I had brought some shoes of different sizes to try on her. I thought she might be a 6 or a 6.5. She is actually a 4 toddler so her feet are tiny. When she saw the shoes she did get excited. pulling them out and trying to get off her sandals so that she could try them all on. I got to tickle her feet and she liked that very much. She was very willing to let me try the new shoes on her and she tested them out. I did get quite a few smiles out of her with the shoes.

This was the best part of the visit. I sat there watching her and at one brief point I was thinking I had missed so much just briefly I felt a bit sad and a couple of tears form as she turned away from me to walk away with her book to sit alone. Then almost as quickly as that feeling came she dropped to her hands and knees and crawled the rest of the way to the chair that she wanted to sit in. She even scuffed the toes of the shoes that she was wearing. I know it may sound crazy but to watch her crawl like a baby made me feel better. Almost like I had not missed everything.

18 comments:

Melissa said...

Joy, You certainly don't sound crazy at all. I think all of us who have adopted feel that way at times. Other people may not understand your reasonings but they should honor your requests. I have found it easier to just listen to them and do what I know needs to be done. When questioned, I just remind them that Colby has only been home 5 months and we still ned to work on things. Then when I get a quizzical look, I simply say, "You just don't understand and that's ok but this needs to be done." As for feeling like you have missed out, that is common. Just the other day Mike was near tears as he thought of what we missed. We are in the process of learning to wear "undies" and we took apart the crib to make it into the toddler bed. We don't have a baby but we do have the joys of being the parents to a really smart little toddler.
Melissa

Carey and Norman said...

I enjoyed reading more about your first visit with Anna. I know it is hard seeing them again after so many months, but you will soon have her in your arms forever! I will pray for your transition and that Anna is very open to forming bonds with you and Gerard. Any time you need advice, please don't hesitate to e-mail me either. Attachment is a very challenging process and there will be many days where you make progress only to disgress once again. I know Adrienne is a wonderful source of information too!

Blessings!!

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

Aww! I'm so glad you got to see her still crawling! Little ones grow so fast, I never believed it myself until my girlfriend had a baby after me and I could see how much my little pea has grown.
I can't wait to hear more of your visit! She's a girly girl huh? I know just what to get her for her welcome home gift!

Trisha, Duane, and Family said...

Hi Joy...I completely understand your thoughts and feelings about attachment and bonding. We have adopted 2 newborn babies, 5 toddlers, and a 6 y/o little girl. Attachment and bonding is a very hard won process....for most children and parents. There is no time range for this process to be completed. Each of our children have been different and yet share a common thread...they have an ability to self-comfort and a survival instinct which makes them quiet hard-headed at times...LOL!!! It seems these traits have to be worked with in loving diligence. I have also had a range of inner emotions myself during this process. I did read a book (among many) called "Two Sister" from which I found some enlightenment. It has always been painful for me to be out in public and have my child prefer to reach to a perfect stranger from my arms. Although, I would not allow them to go to a stranger's arms, which tends to tick people off. I felt sad that they were playing on people's emotions and craving their attention when they had mine!!! It was mentioned in this book how the adoptive mother felt when this happened to her....like her child was giving a piece of their heart to a stranger. I thought that this was exactly what hurts about trying and wanting to be bonded. It feels like a set back. But, through time and patience, they have come to depend on me and are bonded to me. You are very correct that it will be a tedious process that "you" must control. Prepare your family and friends!!! Things will be great and you are suppose to be calling all the shots...your her Mom;-). Best wishes and many blessings...Trisha

Jane and Jim said...

I understand completely what you mean when you wanted to see her crawling - believe me, because of orphanage delays, she will still be a baby in a lot of ways.
Don't worry about the eye contact, that will come with time. Your loving touch and care will make her want to search you out above all others. YOU (and Gerard) have to be the ONLY ones who feed her an put her to bed each night - over and over - that will instill that she is YOURS and not just anyone's kid. I know you already know that but your family MUST not be allowed to divert from this until she is attached - it will just put you back farther in your attachment. Find something on the Internet for them to read to prove it to them!
So glad it all went well - when do you go back to pick her up?

Melody said...

Hi Joy, you don't know who I am but I read every one of your blog entries and I have so enjoyed learning about your journey to Anna. I just can't wait for you to bring her home!! I had read another blog that had explained to their family that when they brought their son home (from China), they would need to understand that because of bonding issues there would be no hugging or loving on the child- to ensure that the child is bonding with the parents and that's it. It's hard and I'm sure that your family will love Anna, but you need to do what is best for your daughter. In the long run, they will have the rest of her life and the time it takes her to bond will seem so brief when it's all over. I pray they respect your wishes and the needs of little Anna.

The Robins' Nest said...

Joy,
It is so hard for people that have not been through the process to understand that although little Anna is a certain age, she is in many ways as far as social and emotional development goes, an infant, and as far as knowing how to be part of a family, she is a newborn. One thing you may want to do for family and friends is give them copied sections from books you have on attachment on bonding. My sister in law who is a pediatrician thought she knew it all about children and kept insisting on taking my son from me when she came to visit just a month after we were home with him. He was never one to run up to other woman for affection, rather did the opposite and would cry like crazy if someone else treid to take him away or even tried to talk to me.

As far as some attachment hings we tried, I'm not sure how much little Anna weighs, but you may also want to invest in one of those hip slings. Ours was made by Chico and was rated to go up to 30 pounds. Our son was 20 pounds when he came home at 16 1/2 months and although he was a bit heavy to carry around everywhere I did that while we were in Moscow, for long walks around the neighborhood at home, to the store, etc.for the first couple of months. We also rocked him from the first day and still do before bedtime, and used to give him a bottle at bedtime. He wasn't walking when he first came home, but after he was he used to love to walk back and forth between us and climb up onto our laps for the bottle.

I am so happy for you that all is moving along. You will have her home before you know it!

Dede said...

It sounds like you have got a good handle on the situation. You will be so surprised at how quickly she will begin to develop after you get her home. Nutrition and Love do wonders for these kids! I'm so happy that you got to spend extra time with her.

Amy said...

Do what you know is best for little Anna and try to put aside what everyone thinks- she is your daughter and mom knows best! You are her biggest advocate now. My parents adopted my (not so little anymore) brother from Russia when he was 3.5 and he bonded wonderfully and is now a normal, happy, healthy teenager!

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

I love the name Anna. That's our girl name choice!

You know you can lean on me re: attachment struggles. We can certainly relate to judgment as well. Don't hesitate to reach out. And your 'Anna first' philosophy is PERFECT! You're going to be a fantastic Mama to her. I do love knowing that Gerard is feeling protective of his little girl :)

Hugs to you, cm

Amy said...

Glad you were able to spend some great time with her. Remember you don't know what was happening "behind the scenes" and what she's being told or understands. I think Tatiana thought she was getting in trouble or seeing the doctor most of the time that she was being brought to see me.

You ARE already her protector! Only you and the G man will know her best and what's the best for her. Stick to your instincts mom :)

Dana Doctor said...

Thank you for sharing your visit with us. I look forward to watching you guys make a forever bond.I can't wait to meet Anna.

Laura said...

Joy: You're the Mama and you know what is best for your little one. And what may look like a very, healthy attached child may not be the same story behind closed doors. This is why it is important for you to stick to your plan and others will have to learn to abide, as well.

I posted a letter from Kristina on my blog. Please feel free to use any part of it you want to help with explaining the ins/outs of attachment.

http://ourrussianangel.blogspot.com/2009/05/letter-from-kristina.html

Some people said "oh, children are resilient -- I'm sure she'll be fine" but they just don't get it.

You get it, though!

Many blessings, Joy, and we look forward to following your journey to bring your little one home SOON!!

~Laura :)

chrissy said...

Joy,
I am there with you on every point. Sometimes after a bath I wrap up Little Awesome and say "look at the little baby", he laughs and giggles...although 25 lbs of toddler is certainly not a baby! :-) As for trying convey info and people just 'hear' you, I get that as well. That is a conversation I'd love to have with you privately. 2 1/2 months later and comments surprise me.

Julie said...

There is a book you may have already read:
Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft by Mary Hopkins Best. Here is a link to it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Toddler-Adoption-Weavers-Mary-Hopkins-Best/dp/0944934218

Julie said...

Some tips--likely you already now these, but in case you don't:
Feed her drinks in your arms with a bottle-even if she is already using a sippy cup.
You should be the only one initially holding and especially feeding her. (talk to your friends/family about this. If they are not familiar with attachment it may be hard for them to understand.)
Good luck. Check out some other adoption blogs. One that comes to mind who writes often about some rough times is:
http://blessedwithsweetpeas.blogspot.com/2009/01/when-my-intuition-and-instincts-simply.html
I know there are a ton of other ones out there too. And these moms (and some dads) will understand so much more than your friends and family. YOu will feel closer to some of these strangers than your family because these people have gone thru what you will be gong through.
Look forward to hearing all about your transition! Hope it goes smoothly. It went so mcuh more smoothly for us than I ever dreamed. (We adopted our dd at 16 months.)

JennStar said...

Oh, you must know you are in good company here- all of these precious gifts have their own story, just as we all have our own story. Please let Gerard know that we respect the privacy you desire for her and understand that while she may have some delays or hurdles right now, after some time with her Mommy & Daddy, coupled with good food, rest, sunshine, and hugs and kisses, and she will leap ahead in her development.
I sent out the link to many of my family and friends when we started it and I think there were 2 friends that viewed and posted on it- sometimes I think it's better that way. LOL! I can be me! I can rant and I can talk to those that "know" me (as my family does not when it pertains to adoption)- people that understand what I'm going through, because let's face it, my family just doesn't, no matter how much they may want to or try to.
Counting down the days until we can see her pretty face and you hold her again in your arms!!! :o)

RandiFayPayton said...

You are mama. Period. That's my opinion. Let them think your crazy or bossy, long as they follow suit. They'll get over it.

Cause you are mama. Period. Your baby. Your rules.

Looking foward to some cute girly pics :)