Monday, August 24, 2009

Retrospective look back to Moscow-Embassy day

August 18, started out like no other day in my life. I was awakened by the coos of a baby. I got a smile the minute that I popped my head up. Out of the travel crib a quick diaper change and the squirrel was off to gather nuts I mean toys. We played in the apartment most of the morning.

One thing that I have worried about and I am sure every adoptive Mother worries about is attachment and bonding. Just like so many who have done this before I feel that my time in Moscow was very good for attachment but way to short for attachment to be secure. I wanted Gerard to be a part of this phase so that is the reason why I came home on Wednesday. It gave him 4 days off in a row and he spent every minute with us.

I dressed her in white jeans and a poke-a-dot shirt. She looked too cute. We took a short walk to the Arabat street but did not want to be late for Alex because he was taking us to the Embassy. This is a big day after all.

We made it through the check point and in we went. There were 4 other families there. One had a very young baby (12 months), the other 2 were just a couple of months younger then Anna and the other couple had 2 boys, one was the same age as Anna and the other was 3. She told me that her younger boy was eating everything.

I will let you in on a secret, Anna is having a hard time eating. I have resorted to writing down everything so that I do not obsess on what she has not eaten and instead can feel as though we have accomplished something. I know it is too early to tell if this will be a problem but I want to have an accurate account of what she will eat and has eaten as well as the quantity. I think it is the nurse in me.

Back to the point of the post, if the eating becomes a problem I will write about it because right now aside from 3 others this is not something that I have read extensively about on other people's blogs. I am guessing it is because Mothers and Fathers do not want to feel like failures. I do not feel like a failure but I think that it is important for anyone who is struggling right now to know that you are not in it alone.

I really enjoyed the Embassy appointment. How many people in the U.S. can say that they have been to a U.S. Embassy. Well we can say that. It was quieter then I thought it would be. Just getting the chance to talk with others who are at the same stage as I am was wonderful. Anna was a doll.

Then it was back to the apartment for a snack and the camera. It was now or never. If I was to get a picture of her at St. Basil's then I would have to take her now because the following day we were leaving.

Why is it that when you ask how far everyone told me a short walk? Okay I need to walk more I guess. I also let her play in the flower garden where all the other children were getting their pictures taken. After all she is a Russian child.












Then it was the short walk back, which is when she figured out that she CAN take off those shoes and socks. She very politely handed them to me. The funny part was when she hiked up her pants to see her creamy white, I mean whiter then milk legs. Yes I got a bunch of stares along the way but can a girl do when she needs a tan after all.

Now I think for the most part I am all caught up. I think.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOu will be amazed at what she will start eating. I think its the texture they aren't used to.. Hotdogs are a huge hit..

Chickie said...

I am so glad you are home with her and she is absolutely precious!!!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Those pictures are wonderful...so proud of you for venturing out to St. Basil!!

The food will come, she may just be so distracted by everything else around her right now. Our youngest son was a really bad eater, but he survived and is a really good eater now...you will just have to find some favorites for her...

John and Lee said...

Joy, so very glad you are home and having a blast with your little lady. She is beautiful!! My little lady had "HUGE" eating problems. I think I discussed them on the blog in aug/sep of '08. It took 6-8 weeks of eating mush and lots and lots or oral activities and training before she ate like a toddler. The first day she ate a "real" meal I watched her with big ol tears running down my check. Would love to share our exercises with you if need me. YEAH!! your home.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Joy,
Don't worry too much about the food. It is a slow process. . .she was eating institutional food, afterall! I have found that Aidan goes through stages. . .some days he loves something and then won't even look at it the next. In the beginning we fed him baby food and then "graduated" up to regular food. I think that helped. Also, yogurt helped the transition to drinking milk. . .Praying for you that it all continues well! Don't worry! It all works out. : ) P. S. Loved the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Joy,

My little boy is on the small side which is normal for a child from an orphanage. I don't remember the first few weeks necessarily, but he did start eating anything and everything. It eventually tapered off and now he is a picky eater. We would write everything down just like you are doing. Our doctor told us not to focus on each day, but to look at his intake for the week and to try to get a good balance of different foods.

The pictures are awesome.

Our appointment at the embassy was filled with families. It seemed like there were 25 or 30 families there. That was one of my most special memories because I met two teenage girls that were being adopted from a couple in Wisconsin. It was so much fun to talk to them and let them help me with my Russian.

Have a great day!

Katie

Melissa said...

I love the photos. We have a photo in front of St Basil's too but we were all garbed in winter clothes and a little chilly. She is a doll. And you're right, the US Embassy is an experience in itself. We had about a dozen families there with us.
As for eating, I'm not sure if I did write about it. Colby had a really hard time eating at first. We didn't know what to do. Except for yogurt and Gerber baby oatmeal at breakfast he really didn't eat much. Then we found pasta! Meat was the hardest. He still is picky there, but pasta bread cheese and fruit continue to be his favorite along with deli meats. Try some of those.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

good luck with the eating! i know it is frustrating. she is a doll!

Anonymous said...

dear joy,
god is so awsome congratulations i am so happy for you anna is just beautiful i have been following since last november your blog and have been praying for this moment with you i am just so happy for you blessings to your family

janet in montrose colorado

Anonymous said...

My son is nine and has been with us for six years (from Novosobirsk) and still won't eat much meat...only ground meat and hot dogs. I don't push the issue. He loves vegetalbles!!

Dede said...

So that's what Moscow looks like when it is thawed out! ;-) I'm envious of you in your short sleeves and the beautiful flowers. We only saw ice and snow on the streets when we were there both trips.

As others have said, give the food some time. She will adjust and you will figure out what she likes and then about that time, her tastes will change again. We're still working on that here too.

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

I love the pictures:) She is such a doll! She will love seeing all the picture when she is older! Our daughter looks at her baby book at least once a week!!

She will start eating soon I am sure! Texture was a BIG issue with my daughter and still is:( Sometimes I think I am going to pull my hair out if she doesn't start eating right! The doctor says she is doing fine but you know how us mothers are!

Anonymous said...

You look so happy holding her. You are not gonna want to come back to work!

Carey and Norman said...

I enjoy the look back posts. It is fun to hear about others journies and how the are similar or different than your own. Anna is adorable!

Lisa said...

Just wanted to de-lurk to tell you congrats on your beautful daughter! Also, with my oldest son we had a lot of food issues, some still continue today-5 years later! It does get better. Feel free to contact me if you wish. Good luck, your daughter is beautiful!

Laura said...

Love, love, love the pictures!

I wouldn't worry about the eating part...Kristina is a very picky eater and sticks to yogurt, milk, turkey meat, toast, peaches, and oatmeal. You'd think after 3 months she'd be sick of this but nope! We'll keep introducing new things but veggies are the toughest, so far...

Hang in there, mom --- sounds like you're doing great!

~Laura

P.S. I second the request for a "family picture"!

Deb said...

I LOVE all the pictures. She's adorable. Where did you get the shirt. I want one.

Obviously I think it's important to share both the struggles and the joys of adopting and parenting. Glad to hear you feel the same.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,
All I can say is, Oh my Gosh, She is just so adorable!!!!!
I know I have said it before, but I am just so happy for you all! I love her smile - She is so happy to be with you guys!
All the best!!! Teresa