Saturday, August 15, 2009

Required Reading for all my Family Members

I think everyone has figured out that I am a little bossy. Well that trait is not really unique to my family. We are all pretty opinionated. Some of the things that I am asking be done once she is home is way different then when others who have had babies in my family. Well this is a different situation completely not bad just different.

There are some things you all understand and other things I just know you are shaking your heads and saying "That just sounds crazy!" By the way this includes Gerard at times too.

The biggest thing that I am asking is that you follow my lead. I know that everyone is so excited and you all want to be apart of her life and we want you to be excited. Please understand that I have no intention of keeping her all to myself forever.

I am asking that you please redirect her to me or Gerard so that we can meet her needs (food, diaper changes, rocking to sleep, need for love and affection). She needs to understand that we are the ones who will keep her safe, love her unconditionally and provide for her. Without going into much detail about her past I ask that you trust me when I say this is what is best for her now and for her future relationships with us and all of you.

Please keep the gifts to a minimum. There are a lot of you and only one of her. Think of the amount of stuff that she will have if everyone always gives her just one gift all the time. The best things that you can give her is your love, your prayers and time to understand and know her place within this big family. I would rather her self-esteem be over flowing then her toy box. Kids really like the simple things.

If I say "NO" to her or you I really mean it. This is not up for discussion. I won't think it is funny either if this rule is not followed.

I know that this may sound harsh but please be apart of the solution not part of the problem.

It may seem as though I have sailed through this whole process and to some degree I have but believe me there have been times when I thought that I could not go on one more minute. This was hard, way harder then I thought it would be. There has never been a minute that I have not thought about her and what is best for her. I know that as you read this you are saying me too and you may be right to some degree but it is not the same for you as it has been for Gerard and I believe me.

I have read many different books and even listened to different seminars about what to expect. I may have been short with some of my loved ones from time to time I ask you to please step back and think about things from my perspective. I have had very little control over this whole process. How would you do if you were in my shoes? Would you cry non-stop? Would you be angry? Do you think you could be happy every minute? I think I have done way better then I thought I would but there may be a time when I need to fall apart, allow me the respect of doing that in private if I need to or just to listen if that is what I am asking. No extra opinions are necessary.

You all may think that I am a bit chicken for posting like this as I leave for Moscow but I wanted to make sure that each of you read this article that I have found right before she came home. As to being a big fat chicken I say Bock, Bock, Bock, your right, I too get overwhelmed.

Please, Please, Please read this article I promise you will feel enlightened about how Anna Catherine may feel when she gets home. Click Here!

I think this web site (Click Here) is a very good resource for many of the things that I "plan" to follow when we get home. Take the time to look through it. I think you will feel better prepared for Anna Catherine to come home. Now on to the fun stuff off to go get my baby! This is the last post about my fears for a while now, yes I know all are saying good, me too. Look up I might be flying above you right now! I love you all.

To my blogger friends your support is overwhelming great. I love you all too!

6 comments:

Penny said...

I am sending prayers for travel and peace for you as you embark on the last leg of bringing your little girl home! I have been following along and am so excited for you.

Enjoy every moment and smell along the way!!!

I can't wait to see pictures of your sweet girl!

Kami said...

Godspeed! If you need anything, I am an email away! :). Can't wait to see pictures of sweet Anna!

Shelly and Steve said...

Much love and peace to you Joy. She is almost in your arms forever after such a hard hard journey and as your post states, its not like the hard part is over once you have her. Thank you for your wisdom.

Barb said...

Best wishes, Joy! Can't wait for pictures. Just so you know, I bookmarked that site long ago and it's one I go back to over and over again. It has lots of good attachment advice.

Melissa said...

Always thinking of you, Gerard, and Anna. Safe travel and get home soon. We want to see photos!

And the post was great. We weren't as strict with our family. My family can be overbearing at times! But they also knew we needed to tend to all his needs. They just wanted to hug, kiss, and enjoy him too. We found a happy middle! And as I mentioned before, Colby led the way with most of it. He wanted to be held by many, not all. But he always came to us and searched for us. A great sign.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

hi honey, its mommy i just want you to know that i read the articiles that you suggested the family should read and i am in complete agreement with the no hold approach for anna also she is going to have some confusion about everything and it is best that you do what the doctors tell you is the best for her i want her to be a happy little girl who will love you and gerald and feel she can trust you both what ever you tell me to do is what my personal plans are i love you so much ican understand how you are feeling now on to the good stuff it is 922am here somonday morning so iam guessing you finally have your little daughter in all my life as a young woman i didnt realize how much you could possibly love till i looked into the eyes of my first child i guess thats why i have six of you i love my daughter and have a happy safe trip home mommy