Sunday, August 30, 2009

Anonymous said...

First let me tell you that when I first started this blog I set it so that I would not be able to receive anonymous comments. When I traveled for my first trip back in March to meet Anna I changed the setting so that my family members could easily leave comments. To my surprise I got so many beautiful comments from those whom I have never met.

I know in my heart changing that setting to get comments from those who I do not know was the right decision to make at the time and even now. In my last post I was given some in my opinion very sound advice about getting Anna to sleep. There have been so many people who have prayed for Gerard and I and most importantly Anna that at this point I could not imagine changing the setting back to exclude comments from anonymous people.

With that being said if you have left an anonymous comment here that has been positive or helpful in anyway. Please comment away. I love to hear from others who can help me to be a better Mother to Anna and more importantly a better person. My Mother who reads the blog daily was in shock by the number of nice people who said nice things even when they did not have too as she puts it.

With that being said I have received a few not so nice comments recently. Here is one of them. I copied and pasted it so that it would not be missed by anyone who has already read the post and the comments attached.

Anonymous said...
Would your Father be proud that you can't get married because he can't walk you down the aisle? Sounds like an excuse to me. Will Gerard adopt Anna or will that be a "common law" relationship also?

All I can say is WOW! Little mean spirited don't you think. I guess some would say that I have it coming being a single person in a relationship with a man for a number of years and having had one attempt at getting married to that man. But WOW! To talk about my Father who has died as if you knew him. You have a big set of B---S!

First off I will let you know that my feeling are not hurt if that is what you were attempting to do in regards to not being married for that reason I laugh. When I talked to Gerard about this comment this morning and yes there are many comments that I talk to Gerard about every day I told him that I relieved that you made this comment to me.

Let explain, You were trying to be mean to me some one whom you only think you know. You wanted to ruin my day, create insecurity or perhaps hope that I would lash out at you in a mean manner. Sorry not going to happen here. I would rather you be mean to me on the internet then mean to someone in person or who can not handle comments like this without getting their feelings hurt. I will pray that you see that sometimes comments that you make to a person can be hurtful. This is a good lesson for all of us to take away from this comment. I do try to see something positive in everything that is negative. I will ask you to reevaluate your own relationships before you evaluate mine.

Now before I close in this comment you pose some very good questions that I would like to clear up. Mom sorry that you will read this post about Dad right now because I know that you are very sad that he is not here right now. I know that you have cried because you miss him and he is missing out on holding Anna right now. We will talk about it later so no need to post a comment here.

Would my Father be proud of me? I think that was your first question

ABSOLUTELY! He would be proud that I am a strong independent woman who at times may still need her Father even though he is not here. He would be proud that I have built and owned many different homes. He would be proud that I have saved money to adopt Anna and then some. He would be proud that I go to work everyday and do my very best.

He would often say "Do everything the best way you can, even if you are a ditch digger then dig the very best ditch you can dig."

When we were about to get married my Father became very ill. I cared from him the best way I knew how on the unit where I also worked for over 3 months. I gave him pain medications, bathed him and watched die pretty much on my birthday. Hmmm Anonymous could you do that? Have you done that?

People in our families acted poorly when my Father was sick. Yes, both families acted poorly. Gerard and I were young. After my Father died I had a very hard time keeping it together. I missed him more then I ever thought would be possible and still do. This may sound like an excuse to you but I am the one who is living it. Those are my feelings.

Gerard and my Father actually had a very nice relationship. Which I am so glad that they did. My Father lives in my heart and in my memories that Gerard and I and the rest of my family have about him. At that point in my life and in the shape that I was in emotionally my Father would have suggested that I hold off on getting married too.

On the subject of "common law", in New Jersey there is no such thing. I am not entitled by law to anything of Gerard's but his love an affection and the same for him. Do we have legal documents for our possessions and medical wishes? Yup! I encourage you to do the same. Actaully I have just put this on my list of 'Things to do' because they must now be updated. Thanks! (See another positive)

As most know I work in a newborn nursery and I have seen thousands of fathers, I can tell you Anna could do far worst then Gerard as her "common law" Father. If there is such a thing. He loves her unconditionally, period end of the story. He will provide for her and actually already has. He will keep her as safe as possible. That is what a Father is supose to do after all. Do not pretend to know what our relationship is about and I will not speculate about you and your relationship with your children, husband/wife/lover or God.

I will pray that in the future you mouth and thoughts will only be kind towards others.

29 comments:

Jen said...

Has Anon not heard "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

I think you, G and A make a great family.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That anon did have a lot of balls!! But whatever. You are strong and good for you for your stance!! Anna is lucky to have a mom as strong as you!! I love your blog and I also really love your style of writing. It (your writing style) is a bit different from many blogs out there and it is fun to read.

Now howsabout some more pictures of Anna!!!

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Your father would be proud of you for being such an awesome independent women:) You rock! Some people have to much time on their hands!

Anonymous said...

thanks for keeping the anonymous an option for those of us who don't know how to use the computer very well -

your daughter is soooo adorable!

Lynn said...

Family is family! Good for you for addressing Anon....some bloggers feel like they should just be deleted and ignored. I think you a strong woman to have done the things you have. You both seem like great parents. You have the right to raise your family the way that works best for you, it is not anyone elses business. Choosing to blog is not the same as asking for someones input on how you should live your life. Keep your head and be proud of your family. (sorry I rambled)

Dede said...

Good for you Joy in finding something positive out of the negative! I agree with "Strictly" about "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Unfortunately, it probably won't be the last negative comment you will hear. I have been amazed at some of the stupid things that people think and ask about adoptive families.

The Robins' Nest said...

Nicely said. I started reading other adoption blogs after I had been home with my son for a couple of months and even though I never met the bloggers I felt a connection just having gone through the whole process. In many ways it was so helpful for me to read and hear how other people handled similar situations once their child was home and then later I realized I had some helpful advice for others who were a new family. You are doing a great job, and whether or not you are married is irrelevant.

Anonymous said...

Joy,
I have been reading your blog for awhile now and this is the first time I have commented. I wanted to say that I didn't have to time to read this post but did "skim" through it. All I have to say is that you are amazing and such an inpiration! The way you live your life and raise Anna is completley your choice and I think you are doing a beautiful job!!

J Allred

Melissa said...

Wow Joy. I'm sorry to hear that some people enjoy sticking their noses where they don't belong. I never truly questioned your relationship with Gerard. I noticed that he wasn't with you in Russia and did question how you managed that one. All parents needed to be there. Anyway, it is your relationship and it seems to be a loving one. A piece of paper doesn't make it work. You both do. I know that Gerard will be a wonderful father and husband to you. You all make a beautiful family! We love you!
Melissa

Kami said...

I am so sorry that someone felt the need to make such an ugly comment on your blog. Ugh. It isn't anyone elses business wether you and Gerard are married or not. Anna is obviously very loved and has such a wonderful Mommy and Daddy and that is all that matters! I am also sorry to hear about your Father. I am sure he is smiling down from heaven on the three of you! You bet he would be proud! :)

JennStar said...

Wow- some people really like to hide behind the anonymous tag, don't they?? While sometimes I think it's good to be anonymous, it's only when words are spoken out of love and respect that it's okay to remain anon. Some people. . .(said with rolled eyes and a "hmmph" at the end).

Rich and Jolynn said...

I have to laugh at folks that only say things like that when they can be "anon". They do not have the BA--S to say it to your face.

There is nothing that you have to explain. Great post and I agree that your Dad is very very proud of you. You are a fantastic lady.

What is Anna gonna be for Halloween?

Unknown said...

Wow! You are so tough. Must be a Jersey girl thing;) lol. I have followed you for quite awhile and have only commented a couple of times, but I thought this one was deserving. You and Gerard are so deserving of that sweet little girl. Seriously, this isn't 1950! It is none of anyone's business (even mine!) Congratulations again on Anna! She is going to bring you so much happiness!!

MBKimmy said...

WOW is all I can say ... I have gotten 1 very mean comment once in my 3 years of blogging ...

guess what it didn't work for me either ... haha who is laughing now?!

I think that Anna is very lucky to have you both, married or not and while I agree that growing up with a "committed" family is important it does NOT mean that I think EVERYONE needs to have that pc of paper making you committed ...

love, hugs and Kisses to you, don't let this get you down, and I too think that your Dad would be VERY proud of you!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Just keep letting those types of things run, like water, off your back. Keep up the great work at becoming a mother AND a family! Let others worry about things that bother them--they need not bother you. And, theres this old saying--when you point a finger at someone, remember that there are three more pointing back at you! You're a beautiful person. . .don't let these kinds of things take away from your unique and beautifl experience!

Stacy

Shelly and Steve said...

You are awesome Joy!! How you handle things just amazes me....Bravo! Little Anna and Gerard are lucky to have you and you all are a beautiful family.

You got some good advice on the sleeping....I never really Dylan to be a good sleeper so I'm afraid I'm not much help. He slept in our bed, on my chest for the first 3 months on the couch, pretty much never in his crib....I keep thinking I'll be able to do things better with our little miss but I have my doubts :o)

HUGS Girlfriend!!!

Nancy said...

How rude! Some people think that just because they are anonymous it gives them the right to be rude. Last year I set my blog to private because I was sick of being harassed by one of my readers. Try not to let it get to you.

Susan said...

The nerve of some people!!! I have been reading your blog for awhile now. Your daughter is beautiful! I have two nephews that are adopted, and everytime I look at them...what a blessing.!! Can't wait to see more stories about your family!

Susan

Amy said...

I am stunned, shocked, and amazed. Just when you think you've seen it all ;)

Good for you girl. All I have to say is GOOD FOR YOU. But then again, you're not much of a shrinking violet are you. Hehe.

Dana Doctor said...

Great response Joy. Never let someone's bad mood, bad judgement, or negative words affect you. Especially when they do not know you, Gerard, or Anna. A marraige license does not make a secure and loving realtionship. I know both of you and the love, commitment, and security you have to offer is nothing short of awesome.

Anonymous said...

WOW... WOW I can't believe someone would even say something like that.

Joy I am soooo happy for you A & G.. I think you are a beautiful family :)!
I am so sorry that someone tried to ruin your happiness with their nasty comment. Know that there are a ton of us here cheering you on!!

jules said...

Joy
Only you can control your life not some person willing to comment on your life, an open book, and then not even the b***s to show her name! My son, 11 and Bio as well, was a challenge to get to go to sleep and that same age as well. He still like to offer reason, every alement at bed time, and every "oops I forgot..." at bedtime. Hang in there, try everything that sounds good to you and see what works. A Nurse in a new mothers group in Los Gatos CA said to us regularly "If is does not bother you, it does not bother her" Her number one rule of parenting was "No guilt", 11 years later 2 boys and in the process of a little girl also from Russia and I have never figured out the "no guilt" part. Your family is lucky to have you! I love your blog, your kindness, and your strenth, those are things your parents, your children, and your life partner know and feel!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

So sorry that someone would say that to such a lovely person as you.

I agree with all the posts above as well!

Hugs Joy.

Christie said...

it always sucks when people have nothing better to do than leave nasty comments behind a veil and ruin good blogs! i've been following your journey for a long time and i've never been more thrilled for someone i've never met to finally get the family she dreamed of! family is family. whether you have a piece of paper that legally declares it or not. and that little girl is LUCKY to have the two of you as her parents. best of luck to you and YOUR family! you know whats best for YOU and we're the lucky ones that get to share in your journey. thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Joy,
You rock.
'nough said.

Beth (NJ)

John and Lee said...

wow,how lucky is your daughter to have such a strong woman!! I've always said, at least when they are talking about me they're leaving some other poor soul alone.

Unknown said...

I just wanted to let you know that I have been following your blog for some time. My husband and I are adopting and just made our first trip. Your story/blog has been a comfort and inspiration to me over the past year or so. I have also gained a great deal of incite into the process. I am sad to hear that person was so mean. You have done a wonderful thing adopting this beautiful little girl. You have saved her from a hopeless life and given her an amazing home filled with love. Thanks for taking the time to share you experience.

MandyJo013078 said...

Joy...
I'm so sorry to hear that someone is picking on you! Thanks for still continuing to share your story. It's your life and you should live it the way you feel fit. Hope to hear more progress on the sleep routine I'm sure you're right it's a comfort issue and it will happen for you/her when it's time. Thank you for sharing the lovely story about your father and family. I'm sure that was hard for you! Hang in there you are all in my prayers. MandyJo

Christen L said...

Wow! Well, I guess some people are just plain rude. I'm sorry to hear that you had this happen.

Check out my blog -> I recently posted in response to an anonymous troll myself. I think you'll enjoy it.

http://ellis-family.blogspot.com/2009/08/dear-anonymous-must-read.html