Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My first kiss

I think you never forget your first kiss. I still remember the first time Gerard kissed me and I love that memory but now he has some steep competition.

I have read where other children kiss their potential adoptive parents right away, Anna did not. Anna does show affection to her baby dolls or La-La's as she calls them. I did ask my translator is that is a Russian term and she said yes it was the term for baby doll. If you ask her to get her La-La then hunt is on pretty quick to find one of her babies. I think it is so cute because she puts it to her cheek and says La-La then promptly throws it across the room. Typical 2 year old behavior I think.

Back to the kiss, this is how it happened. Of course I have a very large family most of my nieces and nephews are adults. Aristotle (6) and Sloan (20 months) are the youngest nephews I have right now. Sloan has walked around with Anna's picture for months. The week that I left for court he insisted on sleeping with it. My sister said he would cry if he could not find it. Too cute.

Aristotle is more inquizative wanting to know all the details. Since we have been home he has asked me questions like "How is she eating, Does she sleep well?" Some times you feel like you are talking to an adult so we usually just answer the question and move on. The funny thing is if you do not answer the question that he is asking he will let you finish and say that is nice but it does not answer my question.

So Monday they came over with my sister and BIL. Sloan did not seem surprised at all to see her but happy that is until she made a move for my sister with that he managed to block her from sitting on my sisters lap. He must have read that we are doing the no holding by others thing. When she went for Aristotle he very calmly managed to mark his territory there too. All with a big smile on his face, too funny.

My sister's children are pretty affectionate. Sloan loves to kiss and hug my sister and mother. We all laid on the floor Jackie kissing Sloan and me kissing Anna. Then my Mother leaned over and kissed me. Hmmm.

Off to eat some dinner. Sloan and Anna have those seats that strap onto the dinning room chair so we put them face to face. He is a big eater and a big kid even though he is only 20 months. Roasted chicken went on the 2 plates and at first Anna tilted her head to the side like now way. When Sloan started to like his lips and dug in she changed her mind. When I was not giving it to her fast enough the no feeding rule got broken because Sloan took a piece of his and put it right into her mouth. Too funny.

Anna has learned to way bye-bye only after people have left, her timing is a bit off but we are working on it. I scooped her up and suddenly she grabbed my face with both of her hands and kissed me on the lips. I was shocked, surprised and overjoyed (Pardon the pun). She is quite the mimic.

I do not think that she understands the meaning behind a kiss yet but I can only hope that this is promising. Wow did it feel good.

So last night as Gerard went to bed I had her in my arms and leaned over to kiss him goodnight she did the same. He was so excited.

16 comments:

Melissa said...

What a great story. That first kiss is so special. Colby would let us kiss and hug him but when he actually leaned in to kiss and hug me, Wow!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

OH how sweet!!

Ms. Elaine said...

Too Sweet! You know you are going to have to post pictures with every post so everyone in blog land can see her too!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! What a great start you guys are having!!

Shelly and Steve said...

OH I love it!! Happy happy day :o)

Julie said...

Pictures!!! We want more pictures!! And how wonderful that she seems to be having like no attachment issues so far!!! How is she sleeping anyways??

Deb said...

Such a sweet story. The boys sound adorable. For me it was the first hug. But I do have to admit the other day all 3 of us were laying around and she repeatedly kissed her daddy. Made my heart melt just a little bit more.

Troy and Rachel said...

So, so sweet!! Now you have two great first kisses to remember!!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Oh, isn't it the sweetest thing ever?!?! I love that she is paying such close attention to the affection of others and is picking up on how to show affection to you. maybe Sloan needs to come around more often to up the peer pressure to eat, huh?!

I'm looking forward to more pictures too :)

findingourdaughter said...

Awwwww, that is so sweet and special. thank you for sharing!
Hugs and God bless!

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest thing!!! What an adorable personality she has!!!

Roger and Joanne said...

It's a great start to endless kisses. Just pure sugar, she is!

Suz said...

Oh that's so sweet, thank you for sharing it with us.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

This is huge! How awesome. . .I just love getting and giving kisses from and to Aidan. Sounds like you are progressing normally!

Dede said...

What an awesome feeling! I'm so happy for you and there's thousands more of those kisses to come!

Dana Doctor said...

Anna sounds so sweet! I look forward to meeting her. I am thrilled things are going well.