Monday, June 8, 2009

A funny thing happened on the way to my adoption

First of all I want everyone to send up a pray for a friend of mine who is in Russia and the court date has been pushed back. I promise I will get back to her in a minute.

I can say that I have always believed in God. I am not really sure when I first started to believe because I was a small child. I remember once playing with perfume behind the couch and I was pretending to be the Priest who was preparing the communion and wine in church. For me that is a very vivid memory perhaps because I understood the importance of communion or the smell of the perfume but I am sure now that it was because the 'wine' or perfume tasted really bad.

In my teenage years I can not say that I had a strong connection with my spiritual side. I know that when I went to college (Catholic college) I was chased by Nuns to make the weekly mass at the beginning but towards the end of the first semester I started to really enjoy the services and actually felt like I needed the services to make it through nursing school.

Fast forward to September 2007, silly me thought an international adoption was just a matter of filling out some paperwork and waiting for a call. Needless to say I learned quick that this was so not the case. I laugh at how funny it is that I was worried about my home study. Thank goodness I started this blog.

During this journey praying has become an almost non-stop part of the day. Not only for myself but for so many who have reached out to me and waited with me. Not that long ago (January 2009) I was flying to Detroit with my personal box of worry that I had already opened up.

I was so upset after the agency meeting in January the next day I was going to the agency to sever my relationship with them. On my drive to the agency this woman who is in Russia talked me off the ledge. I was done! I was just going to go about my life childless. I am not sure if this woman knows just how much apart of my adoption story she will be. She is the reason why I waited to hear what my agency said before I cut them loose.

Today I met up with someone who I had not seen since I was about 9 years old. This lady asked me how I was and to my surprise I told her that I was blessed and that I was thankful for my challenges.

I think for me even though I have had to wait a crazy amount of time in my opinion it was part of God's plan. I needed to grow. That is the facts. Just as I really feel that it is God's plan for her that she will make it through this hard time and she WILL hold her baby.

So I ask.....

4 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Great post. Adoption is truly the one of the hardest journeys you will ever experience. So many unknowns. Glad you found peace in yours!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

You are truly blessed! Great insights. . .I think God knows what He is doing in this process. . .are you ready to meet your little one??? Are you ready to bring him or her home??? Yes, it is amazing and He is amazing. I know He has your Court Date all picked out. I can't wait to hear when it is!
God Bless.

JennStar said...

Sounds like I'm pretty close to where you are on the journey- in God's hands, not wanting to move until He nudges me to move, but all the while wondering what the future holds and sometimes having to push my flesh down (when my heart wants to say "if only. . . ." or "if I had. . . ."
Excellent post, btw. And don't you know that when everything is all said and done, you'll be able to look back upon the completed section of our life's jounrey and know exactly why God had such a perfect timing. :o)

Deb said...

It's so great when you can look back and begin to see what has happened in your life during this wait.
Glad you're already started to see these things even before your girl is home.