Sunday, June 21, 2009

I did remember!

I remember a number of years ago the first Father's day after my Father died I worked all day and was a bit sad. I came home from work and Gerard had ordered Chinese food for me to eat. I sat on the floor at the coffee table eating my rice and I started to cry. He looked at me and was a afraid to ask why I was crying because he already knew the answer. He sat there and watched me cry and told me that everything would be okay one day.

I can remember sitting there thinking I will never be able to celebrate another Father's day or any other holiday for that matter without him. I will say most holidays are very hard for me especially my birthday. Gerard has missed out to some degree because of my lack of participation in holidays. He has told me that with Little Banana coming all that will change. It seems funny and a bit out of character that I really do not participate in holidays or birthdays for that matter.

My first Mother's day was hard spending it without Little Banana and with a cast instead. But Gerard made sure I had a card and a flower too. I have been a bit nervous that I would miss Father's Day just because my brain does not think that way. Have no fear I did not forget! I had a hard time finding the right card but I did manage to get the perfect one. I also found this great little board book titled 'Where is Daddy?' You can even put a picture in the spot for the daddy. So I thought it was perfect. I am sure that he will love it.

2 comments:

Dede said...

Father's Day was tough for me too after my Dad passed away but Gerard it right, once you have a kiddo, it has a whole new meaning. The book sounds special, I'm sure he will love it. You will have to post a picture.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh. . . .how sweet! I can't wait to hear how he liked it. And, he's right. It will all change once the little Banana comes--it will be all about her. And that is as it should be and will be just right for you.