Sunday, June 28, 2009

Dottie



Most of you who have read this blog for a while will know that my doggie is my first baby. Last year I became very concerned because she started to get sick. Dottie is a pretty spunky needy loving puppy. Yes even though she is almost 9 years old I still call her my puppy.

Last year I was told that she has congenitally small kidneys for her breed and a dog of her size. What does this mean? Well basically this means that she is not able to filter the toxins out of her blood well. Her kidneys dump protein and as many of you know protein is needed by humans as well as dogs to stay healthy. For Dottie the amount of protein that she can tolerate and still remain healthy is a very delicate balance.

In an attempt to keep her as healthy as possible she was put on a diet of pasta and cottage cheese which although it is work and actually a little pricey I do not mind for the most part. Okay I have not been really good about making her dog food in the past couple of months I would mix in regular dog food about half of the time but she has seemed good until last week.

May has never been a great month for her and her allergies. So I usually make her wellness appointment for the end of May beginning of June. Last Friday was her appointment. I came prepared with my urine and stool sample and they laughed and told me that I needed her urine and stool sample (Okay I am just trying to lighten this up a bit). Her blood was drawn as well.

I have gotten back the results and they are not good. Her BUN level is 65, creatitine level is 4.5 with 4+ protein in the urine and she is still anemic. So what does that mean? If she were a human we would be considering dialysis and blood transfusions but she is not. The plan for now is that her diet will change again and I am guessing it may be a bit more complicated. I am hoping it is something that I can make a large batch of and freeze.

So of course my concern is tell me what to look for because I will NEVER let her suffer in order to save me from feeling sad about losing her. You have to understand she is my baby, my sidekick and the one who is always next to me. So he told me to expect her to stop eating and drinking could be a couple of days could be a couple of months. Currently she has times were she goes a day without eating because she just does not feel well. Give her Pecid for the vomiting which is coming and going from time to time also.

I will be upset if she stops eating while I am in Russia. She really does not do well when I am gone for more then 3 days. She just waits by the door or sits on whoever's lap is available, keep in mind she is not small about 50 lbs, so the lap sitting is hard for those who are not use to this. Usually this is Gerard's Father's job and quite honestly I think he loves it.

As sad as this post may sound and I am sad at the thought of losing her I do think that this is God's plan and I will not be surprised if she goes more quickly. Even though Dottie is not aggressive I have worried how she would be with a little one walking around. I am trying to prepared myself for what will come and enjoy every minute that I have with her. I hope to get some more cute pictures of her with Gerard and I.

16 comments:

Kami said...

Oh, Joy, I am so sorry to hear that your beloved Dottie is not feeling well. I feel the same way about my girls (dogs) and know what it is like to have that kind of bond with your dog. My oldest dog is 14 years old, and I always worry about her. Dogs are like little angels with four feet and a tail! :) I will also say that our dogs have really bonded with J and they love each other, so I wouldn't worry too much about how Dottie will react. I will be praying for you and Dottie!

RB said...

Dottie is beautiful! I hope her new and more complicated diet helps her feel better. I'll be praying for Dottie.

Troy and Rachel said...

Oh Joy - This is so hard to go through. We lost our dog after only 7 years - she had epilepsy, but we were told at the end to look for those same signs. It did happen quickly once it started for which I am grateful but it doesn't make it easier. Praying for you and for Dottie and hopefully more time. Now I'm crying because I'm such a sucker for animals. Thinking of you.

Melissa said...

I really hope everything will be alright with Dottie. My grandparents had a dalmation and we all loved her. They are so sweet.
As for her around your little one.... I was worried about that too with Misha, our 80 pound black lab. Quite the jealous girl, Mike couldn't even hug me without Misha bounding toward us for a hug too. After a few jealous days, Misha and Colby are buddies and usually get along well together. Misha has grown a little more rambuncious (I hate spelling)with Colby but Colby is tough on her too. Everything has worked out so far!
Melissa

Dede said...

So sorry to hear about Dottie. Pets are family members and I know how hard this must be for you. I'll be praying for her.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Joy, I am so sorry Dottie is so sick. I know how much she is your baby and how much you adore her and she adores you. I pray that you will be comforted and feel peaceful with everything she is going through and that she too will be without pain and suffering during this time. Also praying for you as you wait to return to sweet Banana.

Becky and Keith said...

Being such an animal lover, I know exactly what you are going through. It's so, so difficult!! She is a gorgeous dog and you are such a good mommy to know when she is in pain. I'll be thinking of you...

sunset pines farm said...

I am sitting here sniffling. My Dalmatian, Dixie, has always had health issues too, since we adopted her after being rescued from a severely abusive situation. She is mostly healthy, but being around 6 yrs old, I know what's ahead of us with that breed.
It meant a lot to me to read what you said about not letting Dottie suffer in order to keep yourself from being sad...I will be thinking about you guys.

Heidi said...

what a beautiful dog!! Believe it or not I have a kidney disease and my kidney's do not filter correctly either. I am on a low protein diet. Diet is key!! It seems like you have made a loving home for her as you said she is sad when your not around. She probably does not know she a dog.

Julie said...

Awww, I hope Dottie feels better for whatever time she has left. I do not know you but I very much enjoy reading your posts. We adopted a little girl (domestically) when she was 15, almost 16 months old. I look forward to reading the rest of your story, especially the "happily ever after" part!! Hope you hear some travel news soon!!! Hope your arm feels better and better!

Scott said...

Joy, I am sorry to hear about Dottie's health. Shelly and I both love animals and have a dog and two cats that we spoil like crazy.

Dottie is lucky to have somebody who cares for her as much as you do. And we are all lucky to have these special animals in our lives.

Best of luck.

Amy said...

I truly understand your first baby situation. Pets are FAMILY to me...

I lost two kitties along my journey to adopt. It was horribly sad and I still miss them everyday. I am sad that T didn't get to know them but am glad they aren't suffering.

Get well soon Dottie!!

Roger and Joanne said...

Oh, Joy! I hated reading your post today. I, too, have my first baby in my chocolate lab, Pardo. She's ten now and I have many fears of her passing in the future. They are simply the best! It sounds like you're dealing with it as well as can be expected. I hope nothing happens to Dottie while you're in Russia. I hope she feels better soon! Take care!

kate said...

Big hugs to you. It's so hard when our pets are unwell. What a helpless feeling!

OT: I've been concerned about the Russian family you said (a while back) were interested in Little Banana. Did I miss an update? Are things okay?

E-mail if you'd rather.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

So sorry to hear this. Dottie is a beautiful dog.

Hugs, Hugs and more Hugs....

praying you get some news soon Joy.

Kristine

Amy said...

Prayers being said for Dottie tonight. Hugs