Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ekaterina and a small box of concern

In the short time that I spent at the agency on Monday I actually acomplished more then I thought I would have. When I was in Russia visiting Little Banana for the first time I got the very unique opportunity to meet some of the children who will be participating in the Hosts for Hope program that my agency sponspers.

One child in particular really caught my attention because I actually got to sit down and talk with her and kind of get to know her. This experience was completely different then meeting my little Banana for many reasons. The child's name was Ekaterina and she was 14 years old. I considered adopting this child as well but after much thought, consideration and lot of prayer I thought that was best for me was to not adopt her. Please understand that I was crushed when I realized that I probably could not handle both little banana and Ekaterina.

Some where in the back of my mind I had a dream that I would somehow be able to make this happen. Perhaps after little banana was home for a couple of months. I also dreamt that perhaps someone I knew would be interested in adopting her as well so that I could have some contact with her. I know that this sounds strange but she has never left my thoughts and prayers.

Which brings me to why I asked about her again when I was at the agency this week. I usually check out the waiting children for my agency at least once a week. I was comforted to see that Ekaterina was connected with a Host family for the summer program. This past weekend a reader asked me why Ekaterina was off the waiting list? I was not aware that she was off the list.

So when I was at my agency one of my questions was of course what happened to Ekaterina. To my surprise she is off the list for a VERY good reason. She is going to be fostered by a Russian family. This is the best possible situation for Ekaterina because when I spoke with her she was not really sure that she wanted to be adopted in the United States. I am sure that she was worried about the language barrier among other things. I feel like my prayers for her have been answered. I can not tell you all who have prayed for her how thankful and blessed that I have so many who were willing to take a minute and pray for her. This is a wonderful thing!!

Now for my situation I also got some news that there may be a Russian family who could be interested in Little Banana. My agency has tried to reduce some of my fears. I hope to know more in the next couple of weeks because my coordinator is away until next week.

Please I fully understand that she is not my child yet. I know that if she is placed with a Russian family who loves her I then that is God's plan for her. I will rejoice in the fact that she has a 'mommy' to tuck her in, someone to kiss her boo-boos and keep her safe. Having her placed with a loving family be it Russian or American is in her best interest and that is what I am most interested in for her. Will I love her forever? YES! Will she always be in my prayers? YES!

As for my feelings I am a bit worried. I have a small box of concern about this situation. I was told to keep preparing for her because the agency does not believe that the Russian family will take her but how does one prepared for the arrival of a little girl and protect your heart from being hurt if the little one does not come.

20 comments:

Dana Doctor said...

Hang in there Joy. Keep Shining. We miss you here at work!

Melissa said...

Oh Joy. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I hope everythnig turns out well. You'll be in our thoughts. Keep us posted.
Melissa

Jen said...

Hi Joy, I've been lurking on your blog since you traveled for your first trip. I just wanted to say that I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. we adopted our son in 2007, and our going to court next week for our daughter (moscow city), and this was always one of our biggest fears.

My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

oh no!!! i hope you will travel very soon to pick up your little banana! i know how much you already love her and would be crushed to lose her. we lost our very first referral to a russian family after waiting 4 months to travel. it was such a loss. i hope things end well for you. :( i will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. hang in there.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

My heart sank when I read this post.

I am so glad all your paperwork is in now and you can get your court date and get all of this over with. Praying for you. Keep your chin up!

Carey and Norman said...

Oh Joy, I am so sorry. I always worried about this while we were waiting b/w trips. You have fallen in love and prepared for her. It would be devastating if you were not able to bring her home. Just because you would be happy that she found her forever family and understand that God had placed her in Russia for a reason, you would still be heartbroken. We all understand that and understand your concern. I will pray for you and for the little banana. May God's will be done, but may he give you peace in the situation as well (and hopefully speed up a court date in the meantime :o).

Much love coming your way!

Roger and Joanne said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear of this potential development. I'd say try not to worry and this other family will not take Little Banana. She is meant for you, but easier said than done. I know you will constantly be thinking and worrying about this until you get the definitive answer. I'll be thinking of you and praying for a speedy answer and court day!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Joy-you all have been in my prayers, and I will pray even more specifically now that, if God means for her to be your daughter, this situation would be figured out quickly and that you will be able to go to court and then have her join your family very soon. I cannot imagine your emotions as you learned this information, and I will pray for God to give you peace in the midst of this challenge.

Troy and Rachel said...

We'll be praying for you. You have such an amazing attitude now, as you have through your entire process. I hope good things are coming your way soon.

Deb said...

First, you're not weird at all for carrying Ekaterina in your heart all this time. I carry the faces of children I met long ago in my heart to this day. That's part of who you are so don't try to apologize for loving children who need someone to love them.
Is she still coming in the host program?

Second, there is no way at all that you can not prepare for her and hold her in your heart. I'm so sorry to hear about the Russian family, while I do understand your willingness to share her with another mother if that's what is right for her it doesn't make it any easier. I'm glad your agency is being up front with you about it though so you can at least be a little prepared if it does happen.
I'll be praying for the right thing to happen where both girls are concerned.

Stephanie and Dennis said...

I am elated and disheartend all at the same time. I know that all will work as it should. Have faith!!!

Stephanie

www.thesmiths441.blogspot.com

Amy said...

I just opened up a box of concern along with you. After meeting you and seeing what a JOY you truly are and how wonderful little banana's life will be with you and Papa G... I WILL be thinking about you lots.

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Bless your heart, Joy. It's hard enough to wait - harder still to have to wonder about the outcome. I hope for you that God's plan includes Little Banana coming home to you soon. Praying for you - and that box of concern you're carrying around.

cm

webchrissy said...

Joy, hold on to hope...if you ever need anything we are a short drive up the AC expressway! Our doors are open to you and our prayers are with you.
chrissy

Kellie said...

Joy,
I am so sorry you are having to deal with so much worry. You have such an amazing spirit about you and your outlook is amazing. I know your heart has got to be so heavy right now thinking/dreaming of Little Banana. We have and will continue to keep you and Banana in our prayers. God has it all planned out, and we just have to trust him...it is difficult to give up that control though. Prayers and hugs for you!!!
~~Kellie

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy, thank you so much for addressing my inquiry about Ekaterina. My heart is so relieved and full of joy! And yet it's heavy too, for your situation. I hope and pray that you will travel very soon to pick up your Little Banana. This must be a very difficult time for you... I will pray specifically for you to remain peaceful about the situation... you seem to have a very practical approach to it, but the heart doesn't know practical, does it?.... I know you'll always love Little Banana no matter what the outcome, and I will pray that no matter where she ends up, she will always feel loved and safe. May God bless you, and always be near to you.

-N

Rich and Jolynn said...

You are "The Rock" to be so advanced in this process as you are. The waiting. All the time expressing love for Little Banana unconditionally. I really look up to you, Joy! I am going to believe that all will work out. You and Gerard are in my Prayers!

JennStar said...

I know that has to be harde. You have the right outlook and the agency is very right, too. Children are often looked at by Russian families and they are SUPER picky! Keep us posted!

Dede said...

This is something that all of us worried about after meeting our children. Hang in there, I'll be praying for you!

Shelly and Steve said...

Joy, I have been following your blog for some time and now that we have a referral of our own, I can only imagine how you are feeling. You seem much stronger than me.....I haven't even met our little angel yet and am sick at the thought of losing her. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!