Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pictures from my smocking lesson.



Well the smocking class was fun. Mostly we just went over what I need and what are the best types of fabric t smock and picking out patterns. I picked out a pretty simple dress with little puff like sleeves. There is a little bit of smocking around both the waist and the sleeves.

I plan on making the dress in white with pale pink accents. This way I can use it for the day she comes home and for after the christening because the dress that I have picked for her christening is very long. I am pretty sure that I will be able to finish it up before she comes home. The one trick will be sneaking in time to sew.

Carol the teacher is a very funny lady. She is rough, tuff and hard to bluff. I love people like that. The funny thing is as tuff as this woman is you can tell that she has a heart of gold. I saw some of the dresses that she has made and they are truly delicate and beautiful.

You know me I like to know the whole story and I have not gotten Carol's yet. She talks about other people's children and grand children but never her own. She spends quite a bit of time at the quilt shop from what I understand. I think that God has a knack for putting people into your path and I feel like He has put Carol into my path for a reason.

So here are some pictures from my day at the quilt shop getting my smocking lesson.





The quilts hanging are ones that I have made a number of years ago and have not gotten around to finishing up. The blue and white quilt is a small lap quilt that I plan to finish in the not too near future. The other is a white and multicolor quilt featuring the Ohio Star block. The colored fabric is made entirely out of 1930's inspired fabrics and is a twin bed size.

In the past couple of months I have thought about machine quilting this piece but to be quite honest I do not have the time, energy, space to machine quilt this one. I need to finish the handmade quilt first but I really wanted this one done too. At this quilt shop I was also very lucky to find out that there is a woman who does do machine quilting for hire so I purchased the backing fabric and batting. The quilt should be done in about 3 weeks.

Gerard says that I am back to his getting things done girl. Now I do have to go house work is calling my name. I can only avoid it for so long!

4 comments:

Rich and Jolynn said...

I love your style. It is like a warm, sunny day on the beach up north (in MI.) I have a quilt that is very old, early 1900's and it is damaged do you know how to get these fixed? These quilts pictured are works of art!

Don't work to hard at home!

Melissa said...

I love the quilts. Especially the star one. I'm sure you'll make a beautiful smockekd dress. I can remember wearing a few when I was little. Enjoy your lessons!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

beautiful quilts! i can't wait to see the dress you make with the smocking.

Nicole said...

Hello - found your blog while looking for adoption blogs. It's so encouraging to see another single mom adopting internationally right now. I keep hearing stories about how everything is closing to signles. Congrats on your little one! I hope the time until she is home with you goes quickly.