Friday, April 17, 2009

Clean the house or learn to smock?

This was not a hard decision at all. I will always choose to play if given the opportunity. I have been wanting to learn how to smock for a number of years actually. I know in some areas of the country this type of clothing is very popular but not so much here in NJ. That of course will not stop me from putting little smocked dresses on her and yes a bow in her hair.

Is it wrong to use crazy glue in her hair to keep the bow in place? Okay probably it is I guess I will just have to bribe her with candy instead.

Last week when I traveled out to Trenton for the apostilles I stopped at a quilt shop that I usually only go to once in a blue moon because it is over an hour from my house. I got to talking to the owner and apparently there is an older woman who is willing to teach smocking to me.

So today even though my house is still a little messy I will be in my car shortly and on my way for my first lesson in smocking. I can already tell that I will enjoy this art. I figure in the not so near future taking a day to spend at a quilt store and learning a new sewing technique will become increasingly difficult if not impossible.

As Gerard loaded my sewing machine into the car he asked "You will not have homework, right?"

Silly man of course I will!

11 comments:

Carolynn and Steve said...

Joy--

I am SO jealous. I've always wanted to learn how to smock! You'll have to share your creations with us.

Hoping your having fun!

Jane and Jim said...

GREAT choice! Forget the house, your child's clothes need you!

You will have so much fun smocking and I can't wait to see your products!

Hang in there, the wait is a l m o s t over...

happymomof4 said...

I LOVE smoecked clothing! How cool you are learning how to do that!!! I wish I had the time to learn or the money to purchase smocked items- I too think they are adorable!!!
As far as the bows- when my daughter was born and they were getting readyt to take her picture they put a little bow in her hair- the trick to get it to stick ky jelly! Who knew?!

Anonymous said...

i hope your smocking class went well. i wish i had talent like that!

Melissa said...

Enjoy your lesson. Cleaning house is such a boring and tedious task and if it is as nice in NJ as it is here in CT, a car drive is definitely in order. Maybe Spring is finally coming!
Melissa

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I can't wait to see your new projects...you are VERY talented!

Have a great weekend.

Kristine

Ms. Elaine said...

I do not know you and I live far away in Tennessee but I would love to teach you to smock! As beatiful as you sew you will love it! I am anxious for your trip and I have just been watching your blog since I was linked to it following Adrienne!

Carey and Norman said...

You are cracking me up getting so involved in activities as you wait! I guess this is the best advice you can get, but it is still hilarious!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

I'm sure she will be the cutest little girl in town all dressed up in her sweet little smocked dresses!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

YEAAAAAAAA!!! You know I'm all about some pretty smocking and bows!!! She's going to be soooo cute!!! You HAVE to move South, friend!

Hope you had a fun time in class :)

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
Oh, that sounds like sooooo much fun! You are so talented - I also can't wait to see those adorable creations!
Hang in there- I am praying that you get that call soon - I really feel it will be soon.
Have a great weekend...Teresa