Saturday, October 24, 2009

First time not putting her to sleep and biospy report is back

Where has the time gone. I can not believe that Tuesday was the last time I posted something. Not that things have not been moving and shaking around here it has just been too crazy to take 5 minutes to think straight.

I went back to work 2 nights in a row. Of course I worried about leaving her but the reports were good. She and Jillian did well in my absence and Anna fell asleep without crying. Here is where the but gets inserted. My first night putting her to sleep was like burning in H.

She actually did not fall asleep until well after 1 am and woke back up at 5 am. To add to the sleeplessness she refused her nap. I tried everything, a walk, warm bottle, rocking, car ride. Nothing! I have not seen this level of sheer exhaustion in her since my trip home.

I know in my heart that this was a result of me not being home for those 2 nights. Me putting her to bed has been the one thing that has been consistent. So tonight I was a bit nervous. I think it went well in total it took about 2 hours to get her down which is about the normal amount of time it takes me. I know this should get easier, I hope and pray this gets easier.

I know that so many of you have gone through this same transition of returning to work and you feel my pain. This are the times that I wonder why the movement to a dual income family has been the way of the future. If I could stay home I would, believe me I have not stopped thinking or trying to find a way to do it.

Now the news that I hoped that I never thought I would have to say. I got the biopsy report back on Friday. Yes my Mother has lung cancer wow that is hard to say, write and think. When I first started this journey with her I was certain that the biopsy report was going to come back with this news but on the day of her biopsy I had convinced myself that she did not have cancer. Funny how your mind works. I guess when I got the actual report I was shocked and relieved to finally have a name attached to what it is. Adenocarcinoma.

I had to process the information for myself and I will tell you that yes the glass is half full not half empty. I believe that the type of cancer that she has is one that is curable with surgery. I am very confident that the surgeon that she we have chosen is to right man for the job. So Wednesday we will travel to NYC to discuss her options and have her pre-surgical testing completed. We will make it through this bump in the road.

11 comments:

Carolynn and Steve said...

Oh, sweetie, you have had a rough week! A BIG hug for you, and know that you're in my heart and my prayers!

Barb said...

You and your mom are in my prayers! And, yes, the routine with Anna will eventually settle down.

Shelly and Steve said...

I will definitely keep you and your mom in my heart and prayers. I will hope the surgery is a complete success.

Anonymous said...

Joy,
You are my prayers. It will get better.
Kathy C.

Melissa said...

What a rollercoaster week for you. It must have been difficult. I am praying for you and your mom that all goes well with her treatments.

As for Anna, she is being a typical 2 year old. Colby has always been easy to put down for bed, until lately. Now we fight with him. Nothing has changed but now he is testing us I think. Typical behavior. I'm sure it will smooth out soon. My thoughts are with you always.
Melissa

Amy said...

Hugs for Joy and Anna and mom. Rough week for sure. I love your positive go get em attitude. You maintained it during your ride that is IA and now it will be just what the dr ordered for mom.

Thoughts with you all...

Pam said...

Joy,
We are so sorry that you have had such a rough week and we will pray it only gets better from here on out. Be strong!! Please let your Mom know a lot of people are praying for her. And give Anna an extra hug it may not make her fill better but I am sure it will make you smile! I like the pictures you added to the side of your blog, Too cute!!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Man. . .that's a lot to deal with all at once. But, they can do absolute miracles now with cancer treatments. I'll keep you mom in my prayers.

And as for you, of course you continue in my prayers too! Anna will adjust. . .it's us who have the hardest time!! Ou wee ones are so precious to us, it hurts our hearts ever so much. Anna will likely have a hard time for a little while and will then get used to the new routine.

Rich and Jolynn said...

I am overwhelmed at times and I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Hopefully you are getting some sleep too. Praying for your Mom and that the surgery completely eliminates the Cancer.

Anna is so sweet. Her database photo is so precious and I am glad us AP can have that for the future. Jacob is going to bed much easier now. I think they would pat them on the bum a little at the baby-home. My Mom tried this and ever since he relaxes quicker and he likes to have warm milk.

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Joy, [[[big hugs]]] to you. I can't imagine how rough this week has been for you. It's always terribly hard to leave our little ones for any amount of time, but sometimes it is simply unavoidable. I sure hope Anna adjusts quickly to the new schedule and her sleep routine gets easier. You are a wonderful mother for Anna. You and your mom (and entire family) are in my prayers!

Kim

Troy and Rachel said...

Thinking about you and your mother.