Friday, October 9, 2009

Did it without me having to ask

I think Jaime and Jillian are getting it more then others in the family. Mostly because they are the only ones that I have left Anna with. I talked with them about how I feed her and to really look at how she is playing. It is funny because the only way I know how to explain it is either she is playing or working.

If she is playing then she will interact with you. She wants to engage you into playing with her. You can see that she is thinking about the doll or toy she is playing with. If it is her baby doll then she is rocking or diapering or making sleep. She will dance and laugh. If you talk to her when she is playing she will look at you. Generally she will talk back to you. She will know where you are in the house or room and come looking for you.

If she is working then you see her take stuff from one room to the next making a pile or straightening something. There is a lot of folding and unfolding of stuff. Wiping still remains one of her favorite "chores" (no she does not have chores yet but she will when she is older). She will spend 30-60 minutes playing with a ribbon if I let her never once looking up for me or trying to engage with me. If you try to call her name or engage her she ignores you or maybe a better way to say it is she just does not process that you want to interact with her. She will not look up to you even when you talk to her. She could careless if you are in the room or not. There is no dancing, smiling laughing just a flat look on her face and eyes no expression at all.

Which brings me to yesterday. Jaime and Jillian know how upset I am that she has not happy or excited to see me when I get home so last night they separated Sloan and Anna with a gate. My sister came into one door and I cam in through the other. That way there were less people for her to process and she was considerably less overwhelmed. She danced and was excited to see me. Actually she grabbed my leg to hug it. This is what Jaime and Jillian came up with on their own. I can take no credit because I did not think of doing it that way.

It makes sense because when Gerard comes in with a group usually he is the only man. Actually side from his Father he is the only man that consistently comes to my home. On the other hand because I have such a large family mostly of women I there is usually a large group of us coming in at once where I just seem to get lost in the mix for her. I never thought of us coming in like that but I will ask that we do it that way in the future so that she has less to process.

As a whole I would like to say that I have seen her grow in leaps and bounds in the area of attachment and bonding. I have more to learn about the process and will be doing some more research about it. Even though I felt prepared I could have read more I admit. I think that I was in no condition to read about it because of the length of time that I waited between getting a referral, trip 1, and coming home. Every time I would pick up a book to start to read about it I would become very upset or depressed. I do not feel totally unprepared and quite honestly reading about other peoples ideas what worked for them is the reason why I even mentioned this. Leaving her is unavoidable right now. I wish it were different but it is not so instead I just need to roll with what comes along.

6 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Hang in there, Joy. I think you are doing the right thing to separate yourself from everyone else. I think that is what happened for Aidan during our 10 day wait--we got to see him every day during that time and he had only us to focus on for the 2 hour visitation. It will happen for you--definitley also continue having just you or Gerard pick her up to soothe or comfort, if you are there. The signs you talk about are very encouraging and show that Anna knows you are the one for her. God bless and, as always, our prayers continue for you all!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh, and by the way, remember I told you about the "dazed" expression on Aidan's face from last year??? Sounds like what Anan has. . .I can affirmatively say it will change for the better and soon!

Amy said...

Great steps! You know you can read until you are blue in the face, but you are living it and making great decisions and huge progress. Sometimes things are just "in theory" when you are reading about them, but come to live when you are faced with it. You're a great mom!!

Anonymous said...

Joy,

It will improve. I never realized until a special person pointed something out to me. We'd send pictures of my son after he came home. She comment after many months and pictures how you could see the change in him in the pictures. In the beginning there was no expression in his eyes or smile. Over time, you could see the change in him through pictures. His smile and eyes began to get big and bright. His sad look turned into a happy look. Just know that it will come

Katie

Pam said...

How lucky Anna is to have 2 cousins who are so smart and observant. And how lucky you are to have 2 nieces who listen to you. Her reaction to you when you came home should make you feel great. As to playing with the ribbon our DD did the same, I found that what helped bring her out of it was if I played with the other end. I just sat next to her quietly and copied what she did. After several times she started looking up and watching me, its now a game we play when she is tired or over stimulated. Just be patient with yourself, your doing great!!! By the way if you dont mind my asking how is your mom? We're praying for you all.

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Hey!! Just stopping by to say hey! I have been MIA for a couple weeks and came by to catch up on you and Anna!:)