Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Things I bought in Moscow

I am very sedimental about life events. I am one of those people who likes to prepare for as much as I can and then throw a couple of surprises in there when possible. I know Anna will not be small forever and one day it is my hope that she will grow up to have a home and family of her own.

When I was in Moscow I tried to find things that were hand crafted. To me that is what really tells you about the people and culture of a country. Food is also a big part of all cultures. As well as celebrating holidays.

So in spirit of keeping her culture alive and making our own these are the things that I purchased for Anna.

First is the traditional Russian outfit with the head piece. I bought one that was bigger then her size for one reason. If I put it on her now and take her picture she will not ask me any questions about why I am doing that. She will think it is just another dress and crazy looking headband. I want to dress her and talk to her about how special she is to be both an American citizen and and Russian citizen. The size that I got her I think will fit her when she is about 4 years old. Although I have to admit the hat looks too cute on her now.



I also purchased the nativity nesting dolls. The scences on them are made through wood burning. This will come out at Christmas time when we talk about the birth of baby Jesus and what that means to us.


The next thing that I purchased were a couple of Christmas tress orniments, On my tree we hang Danish flags and other Danish paper orniments so now the Russian ones wil hang there too.


I am one of those people who always takes off my jewerly at the sink. My enagement ring is pretty tall so I find it gets in the way when I do things. I have gotten better and now I put them in my room so when I saw this dish I thought it was perfect for putting jewerly in when I am not wearing it.


Flowers are such a strong part of the culture and I found the most beautiful pins with flowers hand painted on them. The pins are made of polished shells. I thought that was so fitting since we live near the beach. I wore one the day I picked her up. So now I have 2 different pins that when she sees them I will tell her about how and where I got them. I think things like that are important to incorporate in to daily living.



The next thing that I purchased which made the driver laugh was a table cloth. I wanted one to give her for when she got married or perhaps purchased a home. It is white with pale blue trim. Timeless (in my opinion) and it covers 2 of the something borrowed rhyme.



By far my most expensive purchase and most prized by me is a hand carved angel. I have been told that it is over 200 years old. It came off a building in a small town north of Moscow. The angel is a 6 winged angel or a Seraphim. When I looked it up these were the angels who were gathered around the Lord in a vision that Isaiah had 6:2. I just thought it was an interesting fact. I was not familiar with this chapter or verse so I find it amazing that this little angel that I was drawn to has such a significant purpose.


I also purchased a small gold cross for her Christening but will wait to picture that until I put it on her for the big day.

7 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

Joy - you purchased some great things! I love what we brought home too and I think it will mean so much to Anna as she gets older!!

BTW - I love the park pics - toooooo cute!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

That angel is gorgeous...you better lock your door girl...cause I may have to come and get it! ha. totally kidding....but I really am loving it!

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Wow! I love it all!! Good buys girl!

Melissa said...

What great purchases! I was looking for an outfit for Colby but never found one. Only girls dresses. I had hoped to go to Arbat St to look but it was far to walk in Feb, and too cold. I love your gifts. I'm sure Anna will treasure them forever!
Melissa

Rob,Dawn,Catherine and Iain and Maura said...

We are headed to Moscow in Oct. to visit our 6 month old little girl. I am going to borrow your ideas for gifts for Maura. Where did you find the beautiful outfit and angel. I know Anna will cherish all the wonderful things you bought for her.
P.S. Your daughter is just beautiful.
Enjoy every little moment!!
http://maurailise.blogspot.com/

Amber said...

great purchases and things you will definitely treasure:)

Dede said...

I love your purchases. I especially like the nativity scene. Anna will treasure these gifts when she is older.