Friday, September 18, 2009

I never thought I would have to teach her this...

Some of the things that she has never been exposed to may seem funny, like the door bell. The first time the door bell rang it was a look of panic after about an hour of playing with the bell she is much better. There are so many things that are new.

Yesterday I spent the day picking up things for her birthday celebration. My niece Jaime told me I absolutely needed to go with the princess theme so that is what I did. I got lucky and found everything was 605 off. Who does not like a deal? I got the banner, plates, napkins, crowns for the cupcakes and the horns that you blow.

So last night when Gerard got home I showed him what I had gotten and I pulled out a horn, put it in my mouth and blew it. As it uncoiled she jumped back. Then after a couple of blows she was loving it.

Now this was the hard part. Teaching her how to blow it. After 30 minutes of trying she got it down. This was way too funny to watch and not remember. So Saturday we will have a house full. Things are going to loosen up around here for a number of reasons that I will fill you in on maybe next week. So everyone who has wanted to come see her and has been kind enough to a bide by my wishes is welcome for the celebration.


8 comments:

Barrett and Jen said...

she is adorable! Have a great party!!

Melissa said...

She is just adorable! I can't believe you have been home 4 weeks! Amazing! Now you have turned a corner. I tell everyone that Mike and I simply survived the first month and then found our groove and routine. It will seem to get better now. You now have a sense of her: her cries, her smiles, her actions, and every little look on her face. She is settling in too. It is amazing. Have a wonderful birthday celebration. Wish we could be there! It has been a hectic week here.
Melissa

Rob said...

We bought Liam a wooden train whistle and it has taken him months to figure out how to purse his lips just right to be able to work the thing. For the longest time, he tried to blow into it as if blowing out a candle.

It's very eye-opening how such simple little things that we take for granted can be so challenging to our new kiddos. And it's so delightful when you see those little mental gears turning as they master one of these basic skills for the first time.

Thanks to Dede's keen eye for details, I got to see Liam figure out how to use a toy screwdriver to loosen and then later reattach some wheels on a toy train last weekend. It was captivating! As he worked on it, he was so intent, so focused, that even his breathing changed.

This is one of those subtle, immeasurable joys of being a parent that you never anticipated and are almost impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't themselves also experienced it.

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

awww:) So cute! I can't wait to see Birthday Party pictures!!

Amy said...

oooh is that a picture of G I see? ;)

She's cute! Have a GREAT party!!

Suz said...

Awww she is just so precious. You will experience soooo many firsts that will surprise you! It looks like you'll (and she'll) have a great princess party!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

There are still things that startle Aidan with the noise they make. . .and he still asks "What's that noise?" if he isn't sure what it is. . .loud noises are definitely not a part of orphanage life! And probably way too much a part of our American life.

Happy birthday to a sweet sweet little darling girl!!! God Bless!

Rich and Jolynn said...

Excited to hear about the Birthday Party! Which toy was her favorite? Hope everyone had a good time!

Jo