Monday, September 14, 2009

The sun is out and I am... (Edited to add info on the tea set)

You thought I was going to say 'Going to the beach.' No not today. Anna REALLY enjoys the water in a fearless way. Because of that I have promised Gerard that I will not take her to the beach until he can come with us. In September I am pretty sure there are only life guards on the weekends. Even though I can swim and I am pretty experienced with the rip currents here in New Jersey they are very dangerous and many have drown on these shores. I am confident that I could save myself but a fighting 2 year old not so confident.

What I was going to say is The sun is out and I am quite happy it is. Last week was a rough week. There were many emotions circling around the house, lots of second guessing, a few tears and a stern talk or two. Has any of it sunk in, the answer to that is only time will tell. My plan has not changed however, only Gerard and I will be the ones to hold, feed, diaper and give love to Anna for now. One change that will be happening probably later this week is my Mother will be stopping by more. Why you ask? She is the one who will stay with Anna when I work. Even though I am going back to work only 2 nights per week at first Gerard will only be home with her one of those nights.

In many cases working nights is a benefit in my opinion. I love the people who I work with because we laugh most of the night away but I will miss putting her to bed which I think is so important. Okay I think every minute with her is so important but whose keeping track.

How is she doing going to sleep you ask? Better for the most part. Once asleep she will sleep 10-11 hours straight even when I put a bottle in her mouth. Yes I started feeding her at night when she does not eat during the day. Amazing how when she is asleep she will drink close to 5 oz of Kefier 2 times through the night. I sit her up on a pillow and put the slow feed nipple on the bottle and away she goes. Wait a second I was talking about sleep here.

I took a piece from just about everyone's suggestions when we were having trouble. It still takes her about 1 1/2 to finally fall asleep but that is better then 4 hours of crying.

One thing that I did add is the books that I read to her at night are up on a shelf that she can not reach. When I pick her up to get one she seals with delight. Hands down her favorite book is 'Guess how much I love you.' This book was given to her as a gift from our friends Melissa and Colby. As I turn the pages she recreates each action of the 2 bunnies. It is too funny. When Gerard saw her do this for the first time he started laughing and said 'Look Bozz, look what she is doing' (He does not get to put her to bed but 2 nights per week.) Melissa, I can not thank you enough for this book.

I will say that I have been re-thinking going back to work. If she does not even out a little bit more with going to sleep there may be some changes that have to be made. What those changes are right now I really do not know, full-time to part-time or per diem, day shift to night shift. Having only ever worked 3 days a week I am not really sure how others work 5 days a week but the thought of only working 8 hours seems a little better then working 12 today.



***The tea set is by Fisher Price, I can not recommend it enough I beleve it was purchased at T@rget***

8 comments:

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Awww...I am so glad she loves books!! Way to keep your head up and make it through a rough week! As for work your mother will enjoy those nights putting her granddaughter to sleep more then you will ever know! Good idea to skip the beach for now!:)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have been following your amazing story for a while. Your daughter is just beautiful! I'm sure you are aware of this, but as a dental hygienist wanted to mention it. Letting any child sleep with a bottle at night with anything except water is a caries risk. I would hate for her to start getting cavities. I know you are doing your best at trying to get her to sleep easier; but felt I should remind you of the caries risk from having a bottle in the bed. I hope I haven't offended you; I truly just wanted to let you know. Blessings to you and your family!

Pam said...

Joy,
I have to tell you my DD and I read your blog every day its so fun especially on days you post pictures. My DD will be right up to the screen talking to Anna about what she is doing and today she ran and got a book so she could read too. You and Gerald are doing great! She looks very content,keep up the good work. And keep blogging we love it!!!!

Melissa said...

I am so thrilled you love that book. Colby loves it too! He loves the bunnies and we always say the "Moon and back" phrase before I leave him in bed. Although Colby says, "Back moon!". Way too cute!
Congrats on getting through a rough week. We certainly had our share. I tell others we some how survived the first month or two and only after that did we settle into a great routine. Keep up the amazing work! You're doing great!
Melissa and Colby

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Joy,
Sounds like you all are starting to find a grove. . .it just takes time. Remember that patience lesson learned while waiting?? : ) Anyway, the nighttime routine is excellent. I forgot to tell you before that we have our routine. . .no deviations allowed by little man. . .warm millk (regardless of the time of year), brush teeth and go potty, rock with 2 or so books, rock some more with songs-Twinkle, Twinkle or something equally innocuous, then bed with prayers, where we ask God to bless everyone, every animal, every stuffed animal, every toy, etc, ad infinitum, that we know. It sometimes takes more than 1/2 an hour, but it is time well spent because Aidan pops his head down and fall right to sleep after ward. Whatever your routine is, keep it the same and at the same time of night always. Routine. They love it! Great book, by the way. Aidan loves that one too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tea set info. I just love your blog!!

Amy said...

What a funny coincidence... T LOVES bed time books, so I just ordered a handful more - including the one we read tonight "Guess How Much..."!!

I can also recommend "Two to Cuddle".

Anonymous said...

Joy,
If you can afford to go part time I would definately advise it. You would still keep your benefits, as well as get out of the house 2 nights a week. Not only will it allow you more time with Anna, but the time you have together will be better, becuase you won't be as tired and rushed. I really wish I could have done it. No one ever looks back in life and wishes they had worked more. Only that they had more time to spend with the ones they love. Kathy C,