Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My first day of leaving Anna with someone-Pray request also

This is a day that I thought would somehow be much different. I knew there would be tears mostly mine but what I did not know then is how soon I would have to leave her in the care of some one else for an extended time period. Yes, I have left her with Gerard but mostly when she is asleep I think he is still a little scared to be alone with her.

I was thinking about this day last week as I was walking her for her nap. I have the type of stroller that I can see her more old fashion so she faces me during our walks. Which by the way I have found to be a wonderful bonding experience. When I looked down at her she was puckered up for a kiss. Which turned into a number of kisses. Those kisses came at the best possible time for me. The kisses that she gives me are quite rare. Gerard on the other hand gets tons. I suppose she is a Daddy's girl.

So many things are running through my mind about the future. I find it amazing how things can change so quickly and you not even realize that they are changing until they have. For close to 2 years I have counted on my Mother to stay with Anna at night. We have talked about it, planned it out and in theory it was a good plan. I want that plan back. I am having a hard time with the uncertainty of what the future may have for me, Anna, my family and yes my Mother.

Monday I did leave her for a couple of hours with Gerard so that I could accompany my Mother for her PET scan. Today I am packing up the car for a 2.5-3 hour drive to Manhattan to see a Thoracic surgeon for my Mother. See my Mother is a breast cancer survivor proud to say it, glad it happened that way and thank God everyday that she was cured of breast cancer.

When I got back from picking up Anna about a week later her doctor called me to schedule an appointment to discuss a CT scan with us. I knew then that it was not going to be good news because I had already talked with the doctor before I left thinking that my Mother was battling pneumonia again. So I think that this has also weighted heavy on my mind the past couple of weeks. Funny how things will do that.

Basically it appears that my Mother may have lung cancer. So today we go for an evaluation to determine how or if she will have a biopsy or if that portion of her lung will just be removed to be evaluated. I am confident in the choice of doctors that I have made for her and the hospital where she will be treated if this lesion, mass, area of annoyance is in fact cancer. I do know that she can beat it because that is her track record. I am hopeful that this will just be a blip in the road. I suppose I am still somewhat in management mode right now. I tend to do that more then express my sorrow over what might or could happen. As many of you know I am a straight shooter so to speak and I do try to look at the glass as half full rather then half empty. I have told my Mother however that I am concerned yes very concerned.

Prayer is a powerful thing. Yes, I pray a lot as I am sure that most people do. So I am asking that when you are finished reading this that you please pray that Anna and Sloan (my 20 month nephew) will do fine being with Jaime and Jillian today there cousins. If you could also send up a prayer for my Mother and the ones who will be treating her today. I hope to know more after this visit.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I truly hope and pray it isn't cancer. Fighting cancer is just terrible. That is how we lost my grandfather, 3 years ago. As for Anna, I'm sure she'll be fine. They seem to do really well with other kids around to keep them occupied. But we are here with you.
Melissa

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

:( I am so sorry to hear about your mother! You are in my thoughts and prayers. Anna might struggle the first few min but I am sure after she realizes she is in good care she will be fine! I watched a lil boy last week and he cried till his mom was out the door and then he looked up at me an smiled and ran to my living room to the toys I had out for him! I text his mom and said you didn't even get out of the drive way before he was fine!!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh man! If it's not one thing, it's another. Of course you, your mother, Anna, her cousins, and anyone else needing it will be in my prayers. Trust in God, as I know you do. All things will work out somehow.

Call anytime you need someone to just listen. I'm here.

Blessings.

AdoptaMama said...

You've got my prayers. This is so hard but it sounds like your mom is a very strong woman. I've got a sister (56 years old next week) who is undergoing a PET scan at this very moment to determine whether she has lung cancer or not. We should find out later today.

Hoping Anna does well in your absence. It may be rough for a bit, but she'll be so happy to see you and vice versa!

((hugs)) to you.

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry to hear about your mother! :( we will be praying for her!

Rich and Jolynn said...

I know how hard it is to leave our little ones. Oh the thoughts that go through your mind. Staying with cousins will be fun and they will talk about you a lot - Anna's Mommy.

I am Praying for your Mom and that it is nothing too serious.

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I am praying for you mom too. It must be sooo hard to leave Anna. I'm sure she will be fine.

Beth said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Two years ago when I brought my son home from CHina my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer so I have been there. Well after chemo, radaition and surgery to remove some of his lung my dad is Cancer free and enjoying life and he loves spending time with his grandson. I believe things happen for a reason and I believe my dad had a full recovery due to Mattie and how much my dad loves his grandson. It sounds like your mom is a fighter and with Anna that will make her stronger. God bless Beth and Mattie

Nicole Brueck said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mother as well. Praying that all goes well leaving Anna and that your mom gets good test results.

Dede said...

Sorry to hear about your Mom; prayers going out.

Loved the story about Anna giving kisses. She's so precious!

Barb said...

So sorry to hear about your mom. Hope all goes well with the scan. Will be praying for you all!

Troy and Rachel said...

Please keep us posted Joy - and we'll most def. be praying for your mother and for you as you stand by her side.

Pam said...

First off my DD and I would like to wish Anna a belated, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Second Iam so sorry to hear about your Mom. We will be praying she will be fine. I know what Joy grandchildren bring to grandparents so Anna will be a blessing to help your mother through this. Please keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy, I am keeping your Mom and family in my prayers. I'm so sorry you all are going through this right now.
Take care...Teresa