Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Dodged the Bullet! ****Edited to add a link to the list****

In Russia changes occur daily with international adoption. The first time there was a major change I remember how freaked out I was. Yesterday dawned with yet another change with Russia international adoption. For those of you who have not experienced a Russian adoption every family that is created through adoption via Russia was complete a number of reports once the child is home in order to determine that the child is being cared for appropriately.

This reports are called Post Placement Reports (PPR). Basically once I am home with Little Banana I will be visited by a social worker just before the 6 months, 12 months, 24 months and 36 months. In the past some children have been exploited, abused and even killed by adoptive parents. These reports were designed to help reduce the incidence of these terrible events from happening.

Approximately 160 different home study agencies have been banned by the Ministry of Education (MOE), this is the agency who provides adoptive families with a referral. So the deal is if your home study was completed by one of these agencies then you are no longer able to receive a referral until you have a new home study which could take a minimum of 8-10 weeks to complete and at least 900-1500 dollars to complete.

I consider myself extremely lucky because my agency is not on this list. I was briefly concerned when I looked at the list because one of the names on the list was extremely close to my home study agency. I did make a phone call to them to confirm that there is no relationship with the banned agency.

I know of at least one other couple whose home study agency is on the banned list. I am going to ask anyone who reads this blog to please send up a prayer for Jolynn and the other families who have used an agency on this list.

****Here is a link to the list of agencies that have been banned***
Banned Agencies

Here is another blog that is very informative
PEAR This is the Parents for Ethical Adoption Reform.

16 comments:

Nancy said...

Joy--

Thank GOD! I'm glad you're not affected by this. Our homestudy agency was also not on the list, but we switched homestudy agencies for our 2nd adoption and our first homestudy agency IS on the list. I can't imagine having to re-do anything at this stage.

Carolynn and Steve said...

So glad you were not on the list--at this point that would be just awful for you. Unfortunately, our new homestudy agency is on the list--and we just picked up the finished homestudy last week. We're waiting to see what's going to happen. C told us not to panic--yet. They had a couple who went to court yesterday in Kaluga with a homestudy from one of the listed agencies and there was no problem. So...we'll see.

Craziness.....

Carey and Norman said...

Unbelievable. I'm just glad this doesn't affect you. Your poor friends. Not that the wait isn't hard enough all ready. Where did you see the list of banned agencies?

Nicole Brueck said...

So glad you weren't on the list Joy. Ours was, but since we are home it doesn't affect us really.

Sending good thoughts for your friend...it is so frustrating!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I'm glad to hear your agency is NOT on the list. I was worried about you. Thank goodness we are done b/c our HS agency is on there. Our SS is supposed to come ext week for our 3 mo. PPR.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Wow. It's always something, isn't it??? Our agency is on there, too. . .but only for the Chicago office--all other offices are okay. But, it doesn't affect us now, either. Prayers go out to all affected!

Laura said...

Just incredible....so many people go through hurdle after hurdle only to have the finish line pulled away in the homestretch. I am thankful that our HS agency is not on the list but hopeful and praying for those who are affected.

*sigh*,
Laura

Melissa said...

Thankfully our adoption agency had just gone through reaccredidation with Russia and now have a life-time accredidation. I am quite thankful for that. Glad to hear you're not affected by that mess. Hopefully not too many people are.
Melissa

P.S. Moscow is really pretty right now. My guya are napping. I hope to go see Red Square when they wake up.

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
I am so glad your agency is not on that list! Our homestudy agency was not on the list, but our adoption agency is. I feel bad for anyone adopting from Russia that had a HS done through our agency. There are so many hurdles to overcome and I feel so bad for all the familes having to re-do their homestudies. What a nightmare!

webchrissy said...

Hey Joy,
Thank goodness your HS agency is not on the list but OURS IS! Go figure...so I may need to ask you who you used. We are in the exact same part of the process...hopefully since we are already on our way it won't affect us since they 'prefer' not to accept dossiers with those agencies...
:-(

Carey and Norman said...

Thanks Joy for the Agency List!

Rich and Jolynn said...

Good Morning Joy,

Doing much better today and I am so thankful for all the well wishes. Placement agency is discussing with some of the region officials what is best to be done. Should have a "plan of action" next week. There are so many agencies on the list. Wondering how many of them are out of business or struggling to get reports from families adversely affected by this economy?

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I totally feel the same way..."I dodged the bullet" too.

I just hope nothing else rears its "ugly head" so to speak before we go to court in a week and a half.

Suz said...

Oh how terrible for all these families! Can you imagine the number of families this involves!!

I'm very thankful that you are safe!

As much as I love the country of Russia and longed for another Russian child, I'm glad - so glad to be done with Russian adoption.

Aunt Shanni said...

Thank you for your information! I have been following Laura's blog and then stumbled onto yours. We are also adopting through AAI and are in the middle of waiting for a referral. check out our adoption blog @ waitingforourangel.blogspot Thanks again, Shari

Janine said...

Yikes! My homestudy agency is listed. I wonder if this will affect my next post placement report. Thanks for sharing this info. Looks like I will be calling my placing agency on Monday.

I'm glad your agency was not on the list. I wonder why mine was? So many questions...