Monday, February 2, 2009

Have I ever told you it is 1952 in my house

Now when I say this I always have a smile on my face. This is one of the things that I tell Gerard and we both laugh about it. Since we have been together for 19 years you just fall into your routines. I have responsibilities and he has his. This past weekend we were talking about how certain things will change just because they have to when the little banana. The plan is that I will still work maybe full time maybe part time only time will tell on that point.

Gerard is and has always said that he just can not do diapers. This makes me laugh because I change so many diapers that I can pretty much do it with one hand and only 2 wipes for the messiest diapers. The other thing that he is scared of is being left with her and her not being able to tell him what is wrong. For example "Daddy I stubbed my toe" (His example not mine)

He has come up with he will do the grocery shopping not the big shopping but the fill in stuff. As per him "100 dollars or less" Okay that makes me laugh too. So off to the store we both went for Superbowl stuff. I can not remember the last time we went together to the grocery store (perhaps he is just afraid I will lose my new phone). He is a bit annoying at the grocery store choosing all the low salt low fat things and extra Hostess snacks.

You should have seen him in the line as I was pulling out my coupons and store discount cards. Then the big question comes "Do I have to use them too?" This will be an interesting transition for both of us. He is still trying to get over that fact that he will need a cart over the plastic basket.

8 comments:

Rob said...

This is so funny because it rings so familiar! We have our routines too - although they've morphed a little over time and especially now with Liam. But with us, I'm the grocery-getter and trot off the to store proudly armed with my canvas bags & coupons - hey, I saved nearly $15 with a fistful of coupons just last Saturday!

PattiL said...

David will not do diapers! He has changed a wet one, but never a poopy one! And Hes a plumber! Go figure!

Carey and Norman said...

I can feel his pain as I prefer the basket and usually have it overflowing with items in my other arms. The cashiers always give me the strange look like why didn't you just get a cart? Carts are for when you have kids with you. Otherwise, I'm a basket gal! Ha.

Carey and Norman said...

Arm...I only have two...don't worry.

Penny said...

Joy you don't know me but I have been quietly following along your story since Adrienne made her trip to meet Lily.
I have sat many days with ters in my eyes as I read your words. Your words of Love for your baby girl. I am so excited for your family. I hope you get your travel papers soon! Bless you and your trip to your baby girl!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Well, but what did he say when the total was over $100??? : ) Pat does the same thing. Guys are so funny! Diapers, though. . .Pat is really good about that. We share and share alike.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I giggled the whole time I read this post. I can't wait to hear all about the transition when little banana comes home :) I loved the Hostesses with all the low salt low fat food... sounds kind of like our shopping cart at our house!

Get ready Gerard...diapers are coming!! They really aren't that bad. Jim only changed a couple before Owen came home, and now he's a pro :)

I loved the $100 or less too!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I thought about your post this morning - the part about changing diapers with one hand and only 2 wipes - as I was changing a 10 wiper dirty diaper that had leaked down down her legs and up her back! Oh yeah, keep in mind, your banana's bottom will be slightly larger than the premies you work with! ;0) TeeHeHee!

My hubby doesn't do any shopping or laundry and rarely cooks, but he's a great hands-on daddy. I know that you and Gerald will make a wonderful team!