Monday, September 15, 2008

Grandmother's Can Find Anything!

This past weekend my sister had a wedding to go to in upstate New York. She opted to not take my nephews so unfortunately or fortunately she had to go it alone. My BIL stayed home with the oldest because he had many 5 year old social engagements that he was required to appear at. Okay how funny is this that he s 5 and his schedule is more busy then mine. He was in his glory because he had his Dad all to himself. Meals included his favorite chicken on the bone and the entertainment include a Philadelphia Phillies game.

My mother ended up watching the baby, Sloan. He was so funny and completely fussed over all weekend. Sloan would not sleep without a shirt that my sister left by accident at my Mother's house. This shirt was one that my sister had worn over during the drive to drop him off. We would wrap him snug as a bug in this shirt and off to sleep he would go. I thought this was a very interesting connection between adoptive and biological parenting. Sloan hangs on my sister like a little baby monkey does. My sister is so funny because I think the little monkey boy has never actually cried. Had my Mother not found that shirt that my sister left behind the baby monkey would not have been very happy.

Now truly the inspiration for this post was my Aunt Cassie. This afternoon I ended up at my Aunt's house and her grandson Ricky (age 6) was spending the night. So what is the first thing that a 6 year old boy wants to do?? Did you guess make a fort? Well you were right!

So Ricky comes into the kitchen and asks
'Do you have a stick that I can use for my fort?' My aunt pulls out a big stick. The conversation continues then in comes Ricky again 'Do you have another stick?' My aunt pulls out another stick.

Now these sticks are not just a little 12 inch sticks they are 3 to 4 feet long. I am chucking and thinking who has two 3-4 foot sticks in there house and with that thought in comes Ricky and he asks 'Do you have a bigger stick more like a post?' Darned if she did not pull one out.

Okay now I am openly laughing but what took the cake was then he comes in and asks for something other then a stick this time. Can you guess?

'Do you have a mask for me?' I have to tell you I did have to pack up and leave because yes she was able pull out not one but two different masks. So that is the reason why I think Great grandmothers can find anything.

4 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Awesome! She has it more together than I do! I need to go shopping now for sticks, masks and other possibly usable paraphenalia!

Kevin T. said...

That is so cute! It reminds me of my sister. She has 2 boys (they are older now) and was prepared for WHATever any kids or other Moms needed at all times! Her friends would tease her about it - you should have seen what she had in her purse, but she was always prepared for Whatever! I hope I can be half as prepared as she was for things.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you are having to wait until beginning of 09 for a referral...I just knew you would get one sooner than this. I am excited for you on your region..I have heard really good things! That little one just isn't ready yet...just like mine. Maybe they are somewhere in an orphanage together holding hands :D

You never know...

Deb said...

Great story. I've always wanted to be a mom like that. One that has everything to make everything so much more fun. Mary Poppins! I aspire to greatness I think.