Friday, September 12, 2008

Good and Bad News

I broke down today and called my agency mostly because I have to start to up date some of my documents. My home study will expire next month. I think the home study is probably the most difficult document to try and get finished. Honestly, I just wanted to make sure that there were no new things that needed to be put into my home study.

I think when ever there is both good and bad news I am the type of person that likes to hear the bad news first so here goes! No referral should be expected until February 2009. There is a slim chance of me getting a referral before then. I think mostly I am a bit stunned to say the least. I completely understand that this is not the fault of my agency or anyone in particular this is really just the way the ball bounces.

I was better this morning when I heard the news but now I am tearing up a little bit writing this post. Can you believe this is the first time that I have actually cried during this whole process. I know there is a reason for the delay and I bet it is a really good reason. I am planning another post that I have in my mind that list all the good reason like not being separated at Christmas time.

Now for the good news and I told you that there was good news so to end on a lighter note I have found out which region my dossier was sent to...drum roll please....Arkhangelsk!!

At least I will be able to research this area some. So for those of you who are thinking you will be reading about the fast pace race called my adoption I will have to bore you with more details of Dottie and her dog food and other equally interesting facts about me and my life.

6 comments:

PattiL said...

I, feel sad, that you are still waiting. Almost guilty. But I know that a perfect child is waiting for you. And when that call comes, it will rock your world. All your reading and preparation, will be just thoughts lost in your mind! keeping prayers for you and all the other women waiting on a call!

Deb said...

I'm so sorry. No delays are fun but I'm glad you're trying to find some good in it.
That's great that you learned your region. I really enjoyed researching ours.

Do they have to update the HS now if they don't expect a referral till next year. I'd think they might let you put it off until Jan. Updates are a piece of cake. We had to update ours when we switched and it was just a quick visit. Of course if Russia asked for anything different then that might be an issue.

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy, That must have been so disappointing - I feel so sad for you right now. You are so strong that this is only the 1st time you have cried in your process - I think I am a real cry baby! You are such a trooper - I cannot wait till you get that call. February seems far, but it is right around the corner. you will be so busy with holiday stuff in Nov and Dec and then it will be here before you know it. That is great that you found out the Region. I can't wait to hear more about it!
Hang in there. You guys are in my prayers...Teresa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Joy, sweetie! I just don't understand. . .I'm not helping with that statement, though, so I won't continue. You are so strong and so full of faith. I know God is just waiting until your child comes along. At least he knows from what region the baby will come from! You are ever in my thoughts and prayers.
Stacy

Christen L said...

Joy - just catching up since being gone on vacation.

So sorry to hear this. At least you have a realistic timeframe... even though I know this is very frustrating.

Hang in there.

Rob said...

I wrestled with myself over whether I should post this...

Having been exactly in the same place as you, I know the frustration that waiting brings. It pains me to hear that you're being told to just chill out for a minimum of another 6 months. It's especially exasperating because we heard the exact same thing - more than once.

I can't tell you what's right for you, but I know for a certainty that leaving CHI was the right choice for us. I do believe that the agency has good intentions, but I'll also be blunt enough to say that I believe that some of their practices are bordering on downright unethical. In the end, we found that we simply couldn't trust or continue to have any faith in that agency. Switching to CSS was the single best thing Dede & I did.

So often, we got the comment from friends, "God will work this out for you." But I found myself wondering, what if all of these delays ARE God's way of telling me to get off my duff? I came to realize that, for me, having faith in God to guide our adoption journey didn't mean that we should just sit idly by and wait for Him to make things happen. We decided that the feelings we developed about our agency were perhaps His way of giving us the swift kick in the backside that we needed so we'd gather up the courage to seek out another agency.

Again, I'm not telling you that this is necessarily the right move for you, but it may be at least worth another thought. I think I've seen your comments over on our blog, so you may already be aware of some of this, but CSS was very aggressive from the very first moment we placed the first tentative phone call. I can't begin to explain how terrified we were at the beginning of that 10 minute call and how much better we felt at the end of it. I don't mean to sound cheesy, but it almost felt as if God whispered silently. "Finally, you got the hint. Now, let's get busy!" We jumped over to CSS last October and we were in Moscow the week after Thanksgiving.