Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sticker Shock!

Yesterday I thought I should be doing some thing productive with my time off that was adoption related but no in a way that would make me sad. Everyone knows that I am a bit of a planner so I thought I may as well find out about the daycare option.

Initially I was not sure that I would use daycare. I am mixed feelings about this. My Mother who is retired and lives about 4 miles away is going to stay with the little guy at night but I started to think about those days when I just need a couple of hours of sleep. What do I do then?

Most of my friends who work the night shift do it so that they do not have to use daycare. You know the husband is home at night sleeping with the little one while the Mother is working and then gets to say up all day watching the little one. I know that I could do this because my Mother is going to stay over night but do I want to do this is the question?

Then there is the price of daycare WOW!! The ones that I have found cost about $80.00 per week for 3-1/2 days. (9-11:30am). Okay I really will not be able to sleep much by the time I drop off and pick up only about 2 hours. I think that is a lot of money 24 hours per month for $320.00. Is this really how much day care costs? For full day care 5 days a week the cost is 950.00 for an 8 hour day! There has to be an alternative.

My friend has a nanny every summer because she has 3 boys and does not like to take them to the beach without an extra set of hands that costs her only 1000.00 per month. In my opinion I think that would be better then daycare for 950.00 month. Yikes! this kid thing is expensive!

8 comments:

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Hey there,

We were shocked by the price of daycare here too, and it's less than yours! ($800/month). Here, educated experienced nannies run $2400-3000/month for full-time 10-hour days. As a former nanny and preschool teacher, I highly recommend a nanny for infants up to 2-3 years old and then preschool after that for social and language development.

If you may not need someone full-time, I would definitely go the nanny route!

:)

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
Daycare is sooooo expensive here. The daycare in my building for full-time care is $1,500/month. Isn't that crazy!? If I work 3 days a week, p/t, it would be $1,000 a month, but we get a $300 subsidy-That will still be $700. I checked into others in the area and another one for 3 days a week was $260/week. I am most-likely still going to be working 4days/week. I was seriously starting to think of opening a daycare!

MtnGirl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

What about a mommy's helper? They are usually a young college age or homeschooled teen who can help you out a few hours a day / a few days a week. We have done that for several years and it has worked great. She usually helps me get the kids' lunch on the table and then I can run errands or go to my office for a few hours. The most we have ever paid for that (with four kids) was $200 week for four five-hour days (college age helper). But most recently we have had a home-schooled highschool girl come one day a week and we paid her $30 for four hours.

DH and I are currently tag-teaming childcare because our mommy's helper started public school this fall. :( But it is working so far.

I work full time - mostly from home. My husband owns his business and his office is in our home. Personally, we never wanted to put our kids in daycare outside our home, however my oldest two really enjoyed Mother's Day Out and then Preschool at the same church. Neither were a good option for my youngest two, but we were homeschooling by then so it didn't make sense for 1 or 2 to go somewhere while the rest of us were at home learning.

It's a tough call and even when you think you have it figured out, circumstances will change. LOL! I know you'll figure out what works best for your family!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

P.S. Our mommy's helper also helped with the kids' laundry and encouraged them to pick up toys too. Any little bit helps!!!!

Rob said...

Goodness! That number is surprising!

I feel a little guilty admitting that, down here in dusty Texas, we're playing about $400 per month for full-time daycare - and we couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the care that Liam is getting. (However, our cost of living is low, even for Texas.)

However, it's worth mentioning that we were on a waiting list to get him into the First Baptist Church Daycare for 2 years - we had to get on the list a year & a half before we ever even had a referral! All of the daycares in this and the neighboring sister city have been filled to capacity for the past couple of years because our local economy is enjoying a massive surge that's drawing lots of new families into the region.

Jane and Jim said...

Joy,
I really think it depends on the kind of day-care also.
We're going to send our kids to a day care but it's more of a preschool - they're day will be jam packed with fun and learning experiences, etc., etc.
Our cost will be $2000/month for the 2 of them - but this is full time.
This is one of the things we talked about before deciding to adopt...it IS expensive!

Unknown said...

Wow! That is crazy! We pay 560 a month for our 2 boys. 1 is half day (due to kindergarten) and the other is full day but the price includes 3 hours of preschool. I also could not complain about the quality of care- it is WONDERFUL. Also included is lunch- a better one than I would likely serve at home.
This is also part of a local Baptist church. Very nice with small groups of children.
Keep looking- you'll find what you want.