Sunday, May 30, 2010

Vacation wrap up

I might be the only person in the world who never knows what time my plane leaves. I arrived home on Saturday at 5 pm the funny thing is I thought my plane was to leave Florida at 9:30 pm. When I realized that I was close to missing my plane a little bit of panic set in but I made it to the airport with just enough time to grab a soda and board.

Gerard met us at the airport to pick us up. What a difference from nine months ago. Gerard came home early so it had been a week since he had left us in Fort Myers Beach. On the plane I kept telling Anna that we were going to see Daddy. Dressed in her pink bunny rabbit PJs and white sandals Anna ran into his arms and gave him the biggest hug possible. When she figured out that Papa was in the car waiting outside she really lost it and dragged Gerard out side before I could grab the car seat off the baggage belt.

I think this vacation was good in so many ways for Anna. I will not bore you much but for the most part we spent the rest of our vacation on the beach or in the pool except for the Pirate ship. Anna enjoyed getting a tattoo and convinced the pirate to give her another one. On Wednesday I was going to meet up with another blogger (Stephanie) friend but her schedule was very tight but I am sure there will be a next time. Her daughter Grace came home from Russia on the same exact day as Anna. Stephanie and her husband are expecting well expecting from Africa to be exact. I think you will enjoy reading what she writes because I know many of us feel like adoption has changed our lives for the better.

On the drive home from the airport exhaustion set in for Anna and she fell asleep for about an hour. Ten days is a long time to be away from home and seven days is a long time to be away from her Daddy. The vacation turned out longer then I had planned originally. I extended the vacation so that Gerard could so come and spend some time with us on his days off.

Sunday Gerard, Anna and I decided to just stay home alone and I am so glad that we did. I told Gerard that our families are going to start to think that we are crazy but we needed this time together alone. When Anna woke up on Sunday morning she went from room to room pointing at herself then each of her toys both horses got big hugs. It was both cute and a little sad. I imagine now that she may have thought that she was not coming back home to her things. I will admit that it did not dawn on me how she would react coming home. I worried more about how she would react to being in the vacation house. To say that she touched and played with every toy is not an exaggeration.

She did not want Gerard out of her sight. Usually he goes to bed at 6 pm, Anna and I usually read books and play in her room before I rock her to sleep. Around 8 pm she started calling for him and insisted that Gerard and I both lay down with her while she fell asleep, one hand on him and one foot on me.

Here are some random pictures from the rest of the vacation. I think I took about 2000 while I was away. I find it so hard because I just love looking at her.








Sorry it took me so long to answer the question about the oil rig and the effects on Fort Myers Beach. For now I did not see any signs of the oil spill there. I do believe that the effects will be seen in ways that many of us may not realize within the fishing industry. My Brother in law is a fisherman who runs a charter boat as is Jimmy. The fishing industry is a difficult business to be in and a disaster like this one is mind blowing for those who depend on the ocean to make a living. I pray that this issue will be resolved quickly but I think it is far from over.

7 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

That first trip away is a little more rough on these little guys than we realize. . .we took Aidan to Virginia Beach for 4 days before I went back to work and he was confused, to say the least, for about a week after we got back home. Now, however, he LOVES staying in hotels!! Marriotts, of course. . .we may have created a monster!

You trip sounds like it was a blast! Glad you had fun and very glad the oil disaster didn't hinder your fun. We'll keep your fisherman family, as well as all of the others, in our prayers. . .this is a disaster that is mind boggling. God Bless!

Anna looks precious in her princess bathing suit!

JennStar said...

Glad you guys had a great time. We live outside the Tampa Bay area, and we have yet to see any effects from the oil issue- however, we are bracing ourselves for it, for sure. Thankfully for us, the east coast is only about 3 to 4 hours away, for vacation stand-points. Love the pirate pictures! What a cute little tattoo! ;o)

Stephanie said...

Joy, I am so glad that you had a nice vacation. It was great talking to you, we share so many things! Hopefully we can get the girls together the next time you are here!
Stephanie

Steve and Stella said...

Your daughter is beautiful. Our son is also from Russia Vladivostok and we brought him home last December. I recognized your were on the Gulf side. I work for the Marco Island Marriott which is South of RSW. You can view our blog at www.stellaandsteve.blogspot.com

Stella

Melissa said...

What a great trip. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Wish we were there! We took Colby to NH last summer, without trouble, but he was still young. Not sure what he'd do now. We hope to go back and to go camping!
Melissa
P.S. I also take tons of photos. No worries!

Amber said...

glad you had a great time and that you were able to spend some time with dad when you returned as well. Great pictures she is adorable!

Troy and Rachel said...

I'm so glad you had a great time! I bet Anna was super glad to see her things. The first couple away trips we did we took short ones and Daniel would always cry out in the middle of the night for me - almost as if checking we hadn't left him in a strange place. All has changed now! He loves going to "hotels"!! What cute photos - I love the tatoo photos!!