Saturday, May 8, 2010

Toys, Toys and more Toys

I believe that for the most part children's toys are very expensive. Forty plus dollars for a plastic barn is out of my price range. Anna does not really frequent the toy area of the major stores but quite honestly some of her favorite toys are ones we have made.

Since Anna started speech therapy Anna has become very interested in the type of toys that have characters who play in houses doors to open and close. I am committed to saving for Anna's education so in order to make sure I am financially secure cuts have to be made in some places. Brand new toys is one area where I have been able to save some money.

Now I am not saying that every toy Anna gets is or will be used but why does she need a new toy every week that is brand new? I do believe that we live in a world of excessive spending. I point the finger at myself when I say this so please do not think I am judging everyone.

I feel lucky that I have the ability to buy these toys new but am able to have enough restraint to find them in one of the local thrift stores instead. As a result of saving money this way I feel comfortable with what I am spending for us to take a vacation.

I want Anna to know the value of a dollar. I want her to learn that hard work is rewarded. Saving for the future is necessary. We have a little bank account for Anna nothing big Gerard and I put the last three digits of our paychecks into this account. We make a point of taking Anna with us and telling her what we are doing. The bank account is one of the old fashion ones, a passport account. Anna has at times also received money gifts that have also gone into this account. We also recycle copper pieces from some of Gerard's extra jobs. That was the other reason why she was at the junk yard last week. Anna received a "paycheck" for her help in loading and unloading the copper.

I guess my point is I think in the past I have wasted so much money on things that were meaningless. My biggest goals are to have my home paid for outright, save enough to help (not pay for completely) Anna with her college education and live a lifestyle that is comfortable.

So here it is I spent less then 10 dollars and got all of these toys. Anna has played for hours with them and I feel good that the money went to charity, never mind there will be less plastic in a landfill.
I just love this picture of Hans


The Bisquick bottle they love that one





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy
I have a Fischer Price Loving Family Doll house looking for a good home. It has all the people in the family, and furniture for all the rooms. The doll house folds up, and the people and furniture fit nicely in a plastic bin.
If you want it let me know.
Kathy C.

nicole said...

hi i happended across your blog and agree that the price of kids toys are ridiculous..this year i bought toys at our local kids consignment store(kids dont care about packageing)for xmas and i often make toys..my daughter who has children of her own has decided to knit stuffies for her children and often buys 2nd hand..big huggs p.s your daughter is very cute..

Pam said...

Oh Joy I agree with you 100% toys are way over priced! We have been very blessed with friends & family who gave us tons!! I wish you lived closer cause I have 5 huge boxes of toys setting in our garage. We are going to have a garage sale to try to recycle them. And I agree with your statement about excessive spending and learning about saving. Love the picture with the bisquick bottle, we have done that with coffee cans(Blue plastic w/handle)instead of buying buckets for the sand box.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Joy...that little sweetie gets more beautiful with every picture. The picture below on the beach is just amazing...frame-worthy that is for sure.

Troy and Rachel said...

We frequent yard sales for almost all of Daniel's toys. It doesn't make to pay full price for something they grow out of quickly - we recycle our toys by giving them to our younger cousins! Anna's adorable!

Melissa said...

Love the pics. We have that same Little People Barn. Colby loves it. Although I do admit, I bought it at the toy store before he came home. I'm looking forward to tag sales this summer to find toys. They are crazy expensive brand new. I'm always looking for hand-me-downs. We love them! And little Anna is so adorable!
Melissa

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Consignment sales are great here for kids' toys!!!!