Monday, May 17, 2010

Speech Therapy...Oh how funny it can be!

Monday afternoons are speech therapy days. I kind of wish it were earlier in the morning for two reasons. The first reason is Anna has pretty much stopped taking an afternoon nap. I find that it does make the evenings more difficult but I guess it is a trade off because she is usually asleep by 8 pm. I think Anna would do better and perhaps absorb more if the sessions were in the morning but since this is Miss Sara's second job, mornings are impossible. I really like Miss Sara so I will not consider changing therapist.

Miss Sara lives around the corner from me and has a little boy about a year younger then Anna. Perhaps we will be able to be friends once the therapy is over. Maybe even a play date in Anna's future.

I do see some progress with her speech we have been working with Miss Sara for about two months now. Anna has been able to reproduce some new words like "All done, baby, more, please (that one warms my heart)" Anna has not been able to put two words together how ever independently.

I do know she is behind. Miss Sara and I talked about how she should be classified because English is her second language but that will probably not happen. I am scheduled for a meeting with the school district after vacation to discuss pre-school. They will be pushing for 5 days a week 8 hour days. I am still not sure if I will send her at all until next year. I still have time to decide so I will think it over for now.

Here is the funny part. Today during Speech therapy we were working on Peak-A-Boo. Sounds like it should be harmless right? Well Anna was having a bit of a time getting these words out so when she was up to saying Peak-A I was very excited for her. Finally she said it Peak-A-Boo. The thing with speech therapy as with anything is practice. So here is Miss Sara and I praising her and encouraging her to do it again.

So Anna said Peak-A...toot no not the word but the sound that we all make when we eat too many beans! How can you help but not laugh?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I, too, just relish in all the new things our children say. However, when they couple them with sounds -- oh, my! Definitely a precious moment!

Blessings,
Laura :)

BTW: Love the pics from the b-day party. Cool pinata!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh!!! How absolutely cute!!!

And, no charge at all on the toys. . .I'll send them up. I think Anna will love them.

We all pay so much to be where we are that I don't want you spending another dime for a toy your daughter will only play with a short while.

Enjoy!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh!!! How absolutely cute!!!

And, no charge at all on the toys. . .I'll send them up. I think Anna will love them.

We all pay so much to be where we are that I don't want you spending another dime for a toy your daughter will only play with a short while.

Enjoy!