Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Zoo

I have so much to say so I plan on breaking down our vacation into 3 sections. First was the Zoo. In Washington D.C. there is a beautiful zoo that is free. The parking on the other hand is not but with little effort we were able to find a spot on the street and walked a couple of blocks to the zoo. The weather was perfect so I really enjoyed pushing her in her stroller.

Once we got to the zoo it was all down hill from there. I mean literately down hill. Gerard and I joked about pushing the stroller up hill the entire way out of the zoo. Anna had no clue where we were even though we had been practicing her animal sounds most of the ride to Washington. The first animal she saw was a zebra. No big deal she looked over and did not seem impressed. I think she was more annoyed because I have no idea what kind of sound a zebra makes so on to the next stop.

The elephants on the other hand were a blast. At first she looked at them blinked and then wanted out of that stroller as fast as possible. You have to love the elephants because they seem so gentle. If it were up to Anna she would have been riding one but they do have rules at the zoo.



Next stop was the ape house. To me this was some what sad. I work behind a large glass wall and there is nothing more annoying for me as when someone taps on the glass. Anna did enjoy watching the one ape sleep on a hammock so I am thinking we might need one for the backyard, not an ape a hammock.


On our way to see the lions and tigers we noticed these large cables overhead then suddenly I noticed two orangatangs on the cables. Part of their daily routine is walking above the crowd to get from one building to another building on these cables. This was very cool and made me feel a touch better about the ape house.



The loins and tigers were beautiful. Anna really enjoyed them I think. Even today she was doing her impression of a loin when she corner a baby bunny in the backyard. Have no fear I did not let her eat the little bunny like a lion would.


I think the animal that Anna enjoyed the most was the bear. Okay it was not alive but she still enjoyed it just the same.

2 comments:

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Okay, did she turn 4 overnight? She looks so mature! She is just so beautiful, Joy. I looove the picture of the two of you together. So happy you are having a great vacation!

sunset pines farm said...

I love the DC zoo.
Looks like you guys had a great time!