Thursday, April 15, 2010

This morning I prepare...We are the truth!


Picture of Anna watching the squirrels in the backyard

The list of things I have to do this morning is long. I still have to complete my taxes. I only started them the other day but only got as far as putting my name into the boxes. I still have to pack for our trip to Washington D.C. As far as the taxes go I did figure out why I have been procrastinating.

Will I get a return you ask? Yup, a big return is coming my way. I have now about the return that I would receive for a while now so why wait? The cost of Anna's adoption that is why. The adoption is paid in full with the exception of a few expenses for the traveling left on a credit card to pay off.

Here is the truth. Even though I have a ballpark figure of what the legal portion of Anna's adoption cost I do not have an exact figure. Here is why. I never wanted or could put a price tag on Anna. She is a person, my little banana, my little love. Her smile has made me smile more then the money could have ever made me smile.

Now before anyone starts the conversation about why does it cost so much I want to say I do believe that many of these fees go toward the orphanage for the care of the children. Did I donate to the orphanage after Anna's adoption was complete...Yes but only after the court said she was legally my daughter. I also feel like some one did that before I did and that Anna benefited from their donations.

I am sure that many who follow Russian adoption know that adoptions between Russia and the United States have been suspended as a direct result of the little boy who was returned with a note to Russia alone. I will not judge this woman here because that is not my job. I will say this act has caused harm to a little boy and that makes me very sad actually angry. I understand why every Russian is angry about this case because I am too.

I will only pray for her that she sees the damage that she has done to this little boy. Resources are available to those who feel their adoption is not a good fit.I believe that had she reached out to anyone who has adopted from Russia they would have helped her to find the best way to dissolve her adoption with the least amount of trauma to this boy. I will also go on record to say I would have helped them. I also do not think this case is a good representation of Russian adoption.

Many children will miss out on the opportunity of being adopted and having a loving home because of this act. Some may think children from Russia are too damaged to be in a loving family or because of this ban they will choose a different country or worst yet never consider adoption as an alternative.

2 comments:

The Robins' Nest said...

I am glad you pointed out about the costs of adoption. It really angers me how people have come out of the woodwork and talk as if families that adopt from Russia are buying their child. I was even shocked when some "expert" on the Today show last Saturday referred to it as human traficking. (Don't worry I have already sent them a very strongly worded message about their ignorant expert!) People don't understand the people that are involved in the adoption process in the states and in Russia that obviously get paid for their work as anyone with a job does.

Becky and Keith said...

Wonderful post!!