Thursday, December 11, 2008

Reflections: Part Two

When Gerard and I first discussed not having biological children the discussion it was Summer of 2005. I remember the discussion like it was yesterday. We were sitting at the Wendy's (where I cook may meals, Ha Ha). I was telling how much I wanted to be a Mother. I outlined all the experiences we could provide our children and how much we would gain by sharing our lives with a child.

He looked at me and plainly stated that I should get use to the idea of being childless. Domestic adoption was never a consideration. I have been scared by having to sit back and watch many domestic adoptions crumbable in front of my eyes. Gerard and I are not cut out for an open adoption.

I was crushed. I teared up tight there at the Wendy's. The next day I told him being childless was not an option. I would anything to be a Mother. We had just finished building my dream home, a two stories house with a big master bedroom and bath. The kitchen was big, deck, large basement the whole house was about 3000 square feet on a very large lot in a beautiful neighborhood. So I sold the house downsized to a much smaller house almost 1400 square feet that was inhabited by drug dealers.

I worked hard to clean, change and make amends to the neighbors for the actions of the previous owners. The house was so bad we could not live in it for about 4 months. More then once the FBI, State police and boundy hunters have showed up at my door looking for the previous owners. Yes one time Gerard answered the door to a S.W.A.T. team with the guns drawn.

This week when I sat him down to tell him that I think we should hold off the adoption he looked crushed and was in denial. The next day he sat me down and told me that being childless was not an option. He listed all the experiences that we could provide for a child. A child that is waiting for me to jump on a plan and pick him or her up.

My plan is to stay the course. I know all of you who know me and who have read this blog probably knew it before I did. This wait is nothing compared to the wait to sell a home, the wait to fix a house into a home, the wait to gather the money, the wait to convince Gerard it was okay to adopt, the wait for the homestudy, the wait for the I-171, the wait to have the dossier translated and so on.

I am going to embrace the wait because not only is there a reason for the wait but yes something positive will come out of this wait for me. I have read and re-read many blogs in the past couple of days. This one post is has really touched my heart in a way that I have not felt in the last couple of weeks. Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers. Here is their Gotcha Day post that has touched my heart Holm Sweet Home

9 comments:

Our Family said...

Joy,
Waiting can do many things to our minds and hearts. Though, I am convinced that above all, it makes us stronger in our resolve. I was happy to read your post today.
Thank you for sharing the Holm Sweet Home blog post, it had me in tears!
Adrian

Amy said...

Joy,

Very nicely put. The ups and downs can really get you. I am happy to hear you are moving forward, and I can't wait to hear early next year when you are packing for trip #1!!

Amy

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Joy,

I am so happy to see this post from you. I was praying your heart would stay with your original plan. You've worked so hard to prepare your (and Gerard's) heart and home for a child, and you will be such incredible parents to a special little boy or girl. I can hardly wait with you to hear the day you get that call, the call you will never ever forget and will also play over and over again in your head, when you are asked to come and meet your child. What a wonderful day it will be!

XOXO
Adrienne

Carey and Norman said...

Glad to hear that you are going to continue moving forward. I think the wait gets to us all, but I think God places adoption on our hearts for a reason and we must be faithful during the wait. He never promised the road would be easy, but it is oh, so worth it.

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy, I am still re-reading the paragraph about the Swat team with guns drawn - Oh My Gosh!!
I am so happy that you have found peace with everything. I used to think waiting 9 months for a baby was a long time. With adoption, I guess we have to consider the "Wait" the labor we have to go through. That was hom my Mom was describing it to make me feel better. Sort of like when women give birth, they forget all about the labor once the baby comes. I keep hearing that is how it will be for us. Once our little ones are finally here, we will forget all about the pain we went through to get there. And it definitely in Not Easy! I am still praying that you get that call sooner than you thought. Have a great weekend! Teresa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

What Teresa says about "forgetting" is exactly true! Joy, dear, we will all wait with you, by your side, in our hearts and always within our prayers. It is hard, there is no denying it. But, when it is over, you will be so captivated by your child that you will say what I say all the time: " I want to do it again, right now!!!"
I'm so glad you are waiting it out. . .
God bless,
Stacy

Barb said...

Hi Joy! Thanks for leaving the comments on my blog (and I don't mind that you linked it)! I feel blessed that our story has made an impact on you. I have spent some time reading your blog today, getting to know you. It felt good to hear you have decided to proceed with the adoption. It really is SO worth it. While we were waiting for Sofia's Finnish passport, our agency's director told her that our case made her think of Murphy's Law. It was not an easy path but we are so happy now. What Stacy said about wanting to do it all over again is so true - even while we were still in SPB, my thoughts kept going to "We need to come back here . . ."
Barb

Deb said...

I should have read this post before I commented on the first.

I'm so glad to hear that you will be staying the course. You sound so much more upbeat in this post.

Nicole Brueck said...

I agree with so many that the wait can really do us in. Gerard sounds alot like my husband, hates having his picture taken and is a very calming force in my life. :)

The holidays can really wreak havoc on our hearts when all we really want is a baby in our home. Only people who have been there really "get it".

Sending good thoughts your way...
Nicole