Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Recap

Over Christmas every year I am required to work some part of the holiday every year. That is just the nature of the business. Gerard is only ever off for Christmas eve or Christmas day if the holiday falls on his scheduled day off. So usually he is also working some part of the holiday. Gerard and I had to work into Christmas day, I get home earlier then he does so he woke me up after Santa came to the house.

When I woke up the tree that previously had no decorations on it was decorated in a way that only Gerard can do. He is symmetrical and even with just about everything. I just know he is feeling the strain of the adoption too because usually my presents are numbered in a particular order and no I am not allowed to open them out of numbered order. This year he forgot!! When he realized that I was just opening them in my order you should seen his face. Then he laughed and told me that I took advantage of him.

After we woke up in the afternoon we drove out to Aristotle and Sloan's house for dinner. Because of Gerard's work schedule he has not made it out to their house for the past couple of years. I kept telling him that he was missed and that Aristotle was always looking for him I just don't think he believed me. Gerard was a bit surprised to see the excitement in his eyes as he ran to the door to see him. Even Sloan who is turning 1 in a couple of days noticed that Gerard was there and crawled right into his lap and handed him his pacifier which is equivalent to a hand shake in baby gestures.

We played Monopoly World series style. My BIL Rick is trying to teach Aristotle some Spanish. Now I hate to brag but wow is that kid smart. They have really worked with him. Aristotle did all his transactions in Spanish.

So the day was as nice as it could be for us. I am not saying that there were no tears shed by both of us. Which was a bit shocking. Gerard still thinks that we have made a mistake by not going to get the little girl. I am trying to not let my heart rule my head. I do not usually look at her pictures but in the past couple of days I have prayed over my decision. Gerard keeps asking me when I am going to get her.

5 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Glad you had a nice Christmas. I agree that an adoption will make Christmas different. We were waiting b/w trips last year, so I remember very well the pains of the wait during the holidays.

A good friend told me once that if a child is placed on your heart by God and you continue to pray for this child and think about them, then there may be something to this longing. God wants to show us that our children are hand chosen by HIM to be placed with us. He wants us to know that their placement is not by chance. Only those of us who believe know that God's plan was perfect since the beginning and only he knows our destination/path.

You are in my thoughts and prayers as you make a decision concerning this little girl. God will give you peace if you are meant to adopt her. Just pray that HIS will be shown to you!!

Merry Christmas, my friend.

Melissa said...

It sounds like you had a very nice CHristmas. I know that going out and seeing family was a big help to me this Christmas. It was helpful yet bittersweet to see my family and all the little ones running around. It seemed like there were more babies than usual. Everywhere we turned. But thinking ahead allowed me to picture my nephews playing with Colby next Christmas and that warmed my heart. Our babies will come, perhaps not as quickly as we hope but they will come. I know there is a special little one chosen just for you and Gerard and he or she will come when the time is right. We just have to Wait. UGH!
Melissa

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Bless your hearts, Joy. This process can leave us questioning so many things. I know that once your little one is home, you will no longer question. In the meantime, it's agonizing I know.

I love how you describe your husband. I have a lovely image of your symmetrically decorated tree! How sweet of him.

Hugs to you - cm

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
I am glad you had a Merry Christmas! I agree with all of these wonderful comments - I truly feel that there is a child meant to be with each family - It is sometimes so hard though while we are going through it. I wish you happiness and amazing things to come in the new year! Teresa

Becky and Keith said...

Merry Christmas, Joy! Sounds like you had a great Christmas with the family and time off with Gerard. I love Carey's comment... it is better than anything I could write but I do believe it is true! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!