Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Homemade Christmas

In the spirit of a homemade Christmas I have been working on my gifts as often as possible. Gosh I hope to be able to get them all done before the holidays. Otherwise I will have to give out nice IOU's to everyone. I had a very hard time trying to think of a good gift to give my sisters without spending a ton of money. This year everyone is so strapped for cash.

Last year I loved what I got my sisters. I spent hours scanning old pictures from my childhood so that I could burn them onto a CD. I think some of my sisters loved the gift and others were maybe a touch disappointed. My hope has been to try and put the emphasis onto a gift that is meaningful but not overly expensive but that is creative. This year I have decided to crochet utility bags for stuff like groceries or trips to other stores.



11 comments:

Kevin T. said...

Joy,
Those are so beautiful - They will make such amazing gifts! Wow - You should go into business, you can get a lot for those. You really are talented!
Happy Holiday Season...Teresa

Melissa said...

What a great gift. I'd love to know how to crochet like that. Your sisters should love them. I hope you get them done in time.
Melissa

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

Love the bags!!! I can't wait to give you the homemade gift lil jillie bean and i made for you!!!

Barb said...

The bags are really cute!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I love that!!! I wish I could knit and crochet. . .someday I hope to take a class on it!

Melody said...

I would love to get one of those- I hope your sisters like them!

I agree- I think it's important to give gifts that actually mean something. Not a gift that says "I searched for something that would do". ;)

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

You are so creative and so talented! Your gifts are extremely thoughtful!

Jen said...

I love those bags, I would much rather get a gift that someone made and spent some time on then something bought. I wish I was creative enough to make gifts for Christmas, it would make it that much better for me :) I hope your sisters love them!!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Love 'em, Joy!! You are so good. Those will be such special gifts for your family to cherish for a long time. Merry early Christmas :)

Carey and Norman said...

I agree that thoughtful gifts are more meaningful not only that Christmas, but all the years after. I always enjoy when Norman (or other family members) get me something special from the kiddos (handprints, picture, etc.).

Troy and Rachel said...

Joy - those bags are beautiful and anyone would be lucky to have something you spent so much time on! I love handmade gifts and we plan to do a lot more of them in the next years.