Sunday, April 17, 2011

Washington D.C. 2011...Russian Embassy Easter Party

What a weekend! I am so ready for spring to really start. Like last year we decided to come to Washington D.C. for the Easter party held at the Russian Embassy. Last year we went to the zoo which was a lot of fun. I was surprised that Anna remembered the elephants when we told her we were going to Washington. I am amazed at the things she remembers.

This year we were lucky enough to meet up with not only Stacy, Pat and Aidan but Jolynn, Rich and Jacob (private blog). We decided to take Anna to the Museum of Natural History to see the dinosaurs on Friday. Anna is really into animals and she loved looking at in imitating many of the different animals. Anna and Jacob were like long lost friends. What surprised me was that Anna was even willing share King with Jacob. You have to understand no one gets to play with King.

The kids got a chance to run around in the grassy area between the Washington Monument and the Capital building. The two of them ran, played and laughed the entire time. I got caught up with Jolynn and it was a great time for me.




Yes that is my daughter mooning the Capital building. Honest it was an accident. She laughed so hard and tried her best to recreate the moment.

As an adoptive parent I forget just how much my guard is up when I talk with others about Anna. Stacy and Jolynn completely understand and that is what makes spending time with them different and wonderful. I do not have to explain anything they just understand because they are living it.

Late Friday night we went swimming in the pool at the hotel. The water was a perfect 82 degrees. I got to talk with the life guard a bit. He was discharge from the Army about a 1.5 years ago and told me how he wanted and needed a low stress job. What a nice young man he was.

Saturday was party day. Stacy, Pat and Aidan met us at the hotel then we ventured off to have lunch and let the kids play. Aidan has gotten so talk. Anna barely comes up to his shoulders. What a sweet shy guy he is. I loved the way he watched out for Anna when they were playing. I thought the Easter party last year was great but this year was even better. The children's performances were terrific. They put on a couple little plays for us which were funny. When the girls were singing I could hear Anna trying to sing along which I thought was wonderful.

At the party they had a couple of people who can make different things out of balloons which quite frankly amazes me. I think what shocked me the most about this weekend is how grown up Anna has gotten. She stood in line for the balloon did not have a problem with that until a couple of girls tried to get in front of her and Aidan which she promptly told them to move. Anna does not care for line jumpers when it involves a balloon. There were only a few tears when we had to leave the pool but honestly I even felt like crying at the thought of not getting to swim again.

For the ride there and home she was perfect except for the when we pulled down our street and could see our house. We were stopped by a fireman because a wire came down literately across our front yard and driveway. She kept telling me "Go there Mom...Home...Go home now!" We missed the wire coming down and landing in our front yard by about 10 minutes. Thank goodness we were had a delay here and there along the way home or we could have been just pulling in when the wire came down.

I would also like to give the agency who coordinates the Russian Easter party a big show out Cradle of Hope Adoption Center. You all did a great job. Currently they are looking for families who may be willing to host an older child from Russia, Ukaine and China for their Bridges of Hope program. Please consider checking out their program.

7 comments:

amy said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! Meeting up with other adoptive parents is the best. Anna is such a beautiful girl ~ I love her Easter dress.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

It was great seeing you all! I am really looking forward to some day or even weekend trips this summer to see more of you! : )

Melissa said...

Sounds like loads of fun. I follow Aiden's blog too and love to hear what he's been up to. Wish I was there. Maybe next year!! Love the Easter dress.
Melissa

Rich and Jolynn said...

That is our favorite pic of baby Anna playing on our nation's mall. I loved seeing her laugh so hard. We had soooo much fun with you, Gerard and Anna - Pat, Stacy and Aidan are so sweet so nice to see them in person. We have to do that again!

Masha said...

Oh my gosh that photo on the Mall is too funny! The kind of thing that will haunt her in the high school graduation collages that mom's always love to send embarrassing photos for. :)

Beth said...

WOW looks like lots of fun. I live 20 minutes south of Boston and there is not much here dealing with Russian adoption or Russian cultutre. I would love to take my boys next year I need to mark it on t=my calendar NOW!! And I know what you mean about talking with adoptive parents it si so much easier because they just get it!!

Beth, Mattie and Jake

Janet said...

Love the pictures of you and Anna! Easter Blessings to you and your family! Janet