Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Making a book with Nanny

Yesterday was make a book with Nanny day at school. I will admit that I felt so unprepared for this project. I am not sure what I excepted but I did not bring anything to help make the book such as pictures or stickers. Honestly I was a bit put off about it because had it been mentioned in the note home that we could or should bring stuff I would have not only had it prepared talked and pre-played with the stuff with Anna. I know it sounds like I am complaining but I hate not being prepared. I am still new to this whole preschool stuff, next time I will be prepared.

During Anna's teacher conference one observation that she made was that Anna avoids drawing. At home we draw but I realized that when we draw it is as a group or family. Usually we have a large piece of paper that covers the table and everyone joins in the drawing and coloring. In retrospect I think Anna has asked us to draw more then she has drawn.

Anna is the youngest in her class. Her preschool is set up so that the child stays with the same teacher for 2 years. I like this in many ways but yesterday when Anna was drawing it was hard to see her struggle some to draw. Many of the children in her class are 5 turning 6, Anna is 3 turning 4. This does not sound like a big difference but it is a big difference.

Here is where the but comes in, I see just how much Anna has grown. Watching Anna navigate her classroom is very interesting. She knows what to do and what is expected of her by the teacher. A year ago I know that this would have been difficult for Anna. After talking to Gerard and my Mother we talked about how we are going to encourage her to draw more. I am in no rush to push her through her developmental milestones. In my opinion drawing and coloring should be a low stress, fun activity and that is how we are going to approach it.

I am so glad that I was able to get a few pictures of them together making her book.


3 comments:

Tracy said...

It sounds like she is doing great! And for the record, I have a child 5 and a child 3, and it is a HUGE difference developmentally, drawing and otherwise! Huge.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Huge difference developementally. I even think it is huge between 4 and 5 due to coordination etc.

mamma2 said...

One thing I would suggest that would help encourage her to draw is to use something like pudding or shaving cream. Put a pile of it on the table and allow her to "draw" in it with her fingers.