Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Anna"s Research Project

In Anna's preschool they teach different things by doing what Anna's teacher calls research projects. I do think this is a really neat way of teaching. Basically, Miss C. picks a topic or object and as a class they discuss the topic or object.

The class has learned numbers by measuring things like those sponge animals that grow in water. I like the way she usually relates a book to what ever research project she is teaching about in class. I do think it is funny to say that Anna who is 3 has a research project to do but if you think about this theory it works. This method of teaching embraces children's nature desire to explore and ask questions which I love.

Anna's class will be writing a book with a grandparent next week so I have asked my Mother to do that with Anna. I know that if Papa and Grammy did not get to do something special with her their feelings might be hurt. I also know it would be difficult for all three grandparents to help with the book so this research project was better suited for Gerard's parents to help.

The kids were divided into 3 teams...Team Radish, Team Green bean and Team Sunflower. They each scooped the dirt into a cup, planted their seeds and placed them in the sun to grow. During this process Miss C. talked to them about what was needed for these seeds to grow.

As a snack and keeping with the theme I brought in Worms in the Dirt. It was so funny to see which kids would eat the snack and which ones would not. I made these neat little take home bags for them complete with one of those gift pots from T@rget from the dollar section so they can plant seeds with their families and some dehydrated fruit that Anna has started to eat.

At preschool Anna is so grown up. She cleans up her toys, moves from station to station independently, it was so nice to see. Now I can start expecting more of her. Anna was cute in the class room. She has a symbol that she must move from spot to spot that represents each station. Anna was so excited to see her Papa and Grammy in the parking lot at school when we pulled up.

I only have a few pictures that do not have other children pictured.


Anna with her Papa


Anna loved eating the worms from the dirt


When we got home Anna wanted to do some drawing. She told me "Look, Mom 5."
So this proves to me that this type of teaching is working.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Very cute. I am so impressed with what the preschool teachers do. I'm happy to hear that she is loving school. YEAH!!
Melissa